Windows can't find any EXE files

Post by Bonnie Grana » Tue, 12 Mar 2002 04:22:18

SUMMARY: Delete the shortcuts on your desktop and create new ones.

1. In Windows Explorer, in the Program Files folder, locate an .exe file for
which you want a shortcut on the desktop .

2. Right-click the .exe file, and then choose "Send To".

3. On the Send To menu that appears, choose "Desktop (create shortcut)."

That's how you create shortcuts on the desktop and it might solve your
problem.

--

Bonnie Granat
http://www.editors-writers.info

Quote:> I can't open anything...I get the message Windows can't
> find.....every exe file on my desktop...no connect
> This happened several times on my XP computer...this time
> I can't get around it...I have access to IExplorer and
> mail only if I use the START button, but not on desk top

> Can anyone explain?  Also, Some programs say they can't
> find Rundll so I am confused!

Windows can't find any EXE files

Post by Sharo » Tue, 12 Mar 2002 07:08:09

I would check that system for a virus as soon as possible. Several of the
prevalent nasties in recent months rendered EXE files unusable. You may find
that the rundll problem is a part of this as well. Most likely it's a 2nd
rogue rundll that is NOT in the normal system32 folder.

Sharon (hehe, I like your name <g>)

Quote:> I can't open anything...I get the message Windows can't
> find.....every exe file on my desktop...no connect
> This happened several times on my XP computer...this time
> I can't get around it...I have access to IExplorer and
> mail only if I use the START button, but not on desk top

> Can anyone explain?  Also, Some programs say they can't
> find Rundll so I am confused!

Windows can't find any EXE files

Post by Kell » Tue, 12 Mar 2002 16:58:07

Hi Sharon,

See if this applies:

You Are Unable to Start a Program with an .exe File Extension
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q310/5/85.asp

Cannot Start Executable Programs (.exe Files) on Your Computer
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q311/4/46.asp

EXE Fix for Windows XP
http://www2.cajun.net/~theriots/blk/xp_tweaks.htm

--
All the Best,
Kelly

MS-MVP DTS
[AE-Windows? XP]

Windows Troubleshooting & Support
http://www.kellys-korner.com  [Win98]
http://www2.cajun.net/~theriots/blk/xpf.htm [WinXP]

Quote:> I can't open anything...I get the message Windows can't
> find.....every exe file on my desktop...no connect
> This happened several times on my XP computer...this time
> I can't get around it...I have access to IExplorer and
> mail only if I use the START button, but not on desk top

> Can anyone explain?  Also, Some programs say they can't
> find Rundll so I am confused!

Windows can't find any EXE files

Post by Donn » Tue, 12 Mar 2002 17:16:56

On Sun, 10 Mar 2002 14:22:18 -0500, "Bonnie Granat"

Hmmm I could be wrong and I am hoping one of the more knowledged
persons reading this will confirm or shoot down my opinion but it
sounds like more than a problem with short cuts if some programs can
not find rundll  I had this problem once I got a virus, cant remember
what i had at the time but none of my exe's would run and I got the
same can not find rundll error

Quote:>SUMMARY: Delete the shortcuts on your desktop and create new ones.

>1. In Windows Explorer, in the Program Files folder, locate an .exe file for
>which you want a shortcut on the desktop .

>2. Right-click the .exe file, and then choose "Send To".

>3. On the Send To menu that appears, choose "Desktop (create shortcut)."

>That's how you create shortcuts on the desktop and it might solve your
>problem.

1. 'Find' - Finding Subject Words from the 'Find' Window

'Find' - Finding Subject Words from the 'Find' Window

When I try to do a 'find' in mac.explorer newsgroup using outlook express,
look for words in the 'subject' line that may give me answers to my
questions.

In the 'find' box:
I choose Header:   Subject
I choose Location: MS Newsgroup IE5

Nothing.

I have also tried this using a subject line word that I know is in the list,
and the same thing happens, no items in the find window.

Would someone please tell me what I am doing wrong?

2. How to create animation icon in toolbar for PPC

3. Windows cannot find 'C\Windows\rundll32.exe'

4. autocomplete not working.

5. windows can't find program.exe when trying to read a jpeg file

6. relative source names in a project

7. constant dialogue box 'windows cant find 'Flatbed.exe'

8. How to change langage on HP 540 Jornada

9. can't open any .exe files, says they aren't found

10. 'Cannot find file load.exe'

11. Windows cannot find 'wmplayer.exe'

12. windows cannot find 'open.exe' no cdrw

13. "windows cannot find program.exe needed for opening files of type "file" "