Cannot create password for Windows XP guest account

Cannot create password for Windows XP guest account

Post by Rob Johnso » Sat, 08 Jun 2002 09:14:15

Hi Everyone,
   I just loaded Windows XP and am studying the "Microsoft Windows XP
Professional" training kit book for exam 70-270.  On page 85 it says
"...always assign a password to the Guest account".   Okay, that sounds
very
reasonable to me.   I went to User Accounts in the control panel as the
book told me to do.   As an adminstrator, I can add or change passwords
for
all user accounts except guest.  I tried logging in as a guest (it
currently
has no password) in the hope that I could create a password with User
Accounts
in Control Panel.  Again, no luck.  I can see no way to have the Guest
account enabled and add a password to it.  Does the book lie (I don't
think
there is a way) or did I miss something?  Any help would be *much*
appreciated.

closely.

     Thanks,

Cannot create password for Windows XP guest account

Post by Ron » Sat, 08 Jun 2002 11:19:56

You can add pwd to Guest account by logging in as admin, then going to
administrative tools  then click Computer Management and then Local Users
and Groups, under Users right click the  Guests account and  you will see a
context menu item to "Set Password..."

Ron

> Hi Everyone,
>    I just loaded Windows XP and am studying the "Microsoft Windows XP
> Professional" training kit book for exam 70-270.  On page 85 it says
> "...always assign a password to the Guest account".   Okay, that sounds
> very
> reasonable to me.   I went to User Accounts in the control panel as the
> book told me to do.   As an adminstrator, I can add or change passwords
> for
> all user accounts except guest.  I tried logging in as a guest (it
> currently
> has no password) in the hope that I could create a password with User
> Accounts
> in Control Panel.  Again, no luck.  I can see no way to have the Guest
> account enabled and add a password to it.  Does the book lie (I don't
> think
> there is a way) or did I miss something?  Any help would be *much*
> appreciated.

> closely.

>      Thanks,

Cannot create password for Windows XP guest account

Post by Rob Johnso » Sat, 08 Jun 2002 11:37:03

Hi Ron,
   Thanks a million.  I would have never found this on my own.  Naturally,
being Microsoft,  it would be too easy and natural to put it under
"User Accounts" in the Control Panel as the documentation describes it.
They never want to make it too easy on us.  :-)

     Thanks Again,
                           --Rob Johnson

> You can add pwd to Guest account by logging in as admin, then going to
> administrative tools  then click Computer Management and then Local Users
> and Groups, under Users right click the  Guests account and  you will see a
> context menu item to "Set Password..."

> Ron

> > Hi Everyone,
> >    I just loaded Windows XP and am studying the "Microsoft Windows XP
> > Professional" training kit book for exam 70-270.  On page 85 it says
> > "...always assign a password to the Guest account".   Okay, that sounds
> > very
> > reasonable to me.   I went to User Accounts in the control panel as the
> > book told me to do.   As an adminstrator, I can add or change passwords
> > for
> > all user accounts except guest.  I tried logging in as a guest (it
> > currently
> > has no password) in the hope that I could create a password with User
> > Accounts
> > in Control Panel.  Again, no luck.  I can see no way to have the Guest
> > account enabled and add a password to it.  Does the book lie (I don't
> > think
> > there is a way) or did I miss something?  Any help would be *much*
> > appreciated.

> > closely.

> >      Thanks,

1. Cannot add password to guest account

Hi Everyone,
   I just loaded Windows XP and am studying the "Microsoft Windows XP
Professional" training kit book for exam 70-270.  On page 85 it says
"...
always assign a password to the Guest account".   Okay, that sounds very

reasonable to me.   I went to User Accounts in the control panel as the
book
told me to do.   As an adminstrator, I can add or change passwords for
all
user accounts except guest.  I tried logging in as a guest (it currently

has no
password) in the hope that I could create a password with User Accounts
in
Control Panel.  Again, no luck.  I can see no way to have the Guest
account
enabled and add a password to it.  Does the book lie (I don't think
there is
a way) or did I miss something?  Any help would be *much* appreciated.

newsgroup
much.

     Thanks,

2. web pages

3. XP HOME Guest Accounts & Limited Accounts won't work

4. Windows XP bootdisk to command prompt

5. Using Guest Accounts & Limited Accounts in XP HOME

6. Lost Serial

7. Creating a guest account

8. RE critical updates

9. Create a special account for consultants - no guest!

10. Uninstall Guest completely then make a new account called Guest

11. guest account password

12. WinXP Pro: Networking - Share asks for "Guest Account" password

13. Guest Accounts in Windows XP Home