XP eating up disk space...

Post by Delux » Thu, 30 Aug 2001 22:59:09

XP seems to be eating up disk space all on its own. After performing a clean
install on a laptop a few weeks ago, I had nearly 600 Mb's free on the C:
partition. Now I only have 300 Mb's free and I havent installed anything on
the C: partition. Now, I can understand log files writing to the C: drive
but other than that I cant account for the missing 300 Mb's. Any thoughts?

Thanks

XP eating up disk space...

Post by BlueTurke » Thu, 30 Aug 2001 23:38:09

Have you got system restore switched on? It likes to eat up disk space.

___________________

Quote:> XP seems to be eating up disk space all on its own. After performing a
clean
> install on a laptop a few weeks ago, I had nearly 600 Mb's free on the C:
> partition. Now I only have 300 Mb's free and I havent installed anything
on
> the C: partition. Now, I can understand log files writing to the C: drive
> but other than that I cant account for the missing 300 Mb's. Any thoughts?

> Thanks

XP eating up disk space...

Post by Donald McDanie » Thu, 30 Aug 2001 23:40:24

If you have hibernation selected, it will write a file as large as the
amount of memory you have..It is called "hiberfil.sys" This means if you

On the other hand, if you have 512 meg of memory, you will have a
hiberfil.sys file of 512 meg..
Also, you will have a paging file of several hundred meg..

Maybe you should have given the Windows XP system partition something
like 4-6gig instead..

Don McDaniel

says...

Quote:> XP seems to be eating up disk space all on its own. After performing a clean
> install on a laptop a few weeks ago, I had nearly 600 Mb's free on the C:
> partition. Now I only have 300 Mb's free and I havent installed anything on
> the C: partition. Now, I can understand log files writing to the C: drive
> but other than that I cant account for the missing 300 Mb's. Any thoughts?

> Thanks

XP eating up disk space...

Post by Delux » Thu, 30 Aug 2001 23:55:57

Yes, that was it. I had "Hibernation" enabled. Once that was disabled, I
regained nearly 400 Mb's of space back. Oddly enough I have 384 Mb's of RAM
installed.... Thanks for the tip ;)

> If you have hibernation selected, it will write a file as large as the
> amount of memory you have..It is called "hiberfil.sys" This means if you

> On the other hand, if you have 512 meg of memory, you will have a
> hiberfil.sys file of 512 meg..
> Also, you will have a paging file of several hundred meg..

> Maybe you should have given the Windows XP system partition something
> like 4-6gig instead..

> Don McDaniel

> says...
> > XP seems to be eating up disk space all on its own. After performing a
clean
> > install on a laptop a few weeks ago, I had nearly 600 Mb's free on the
C:
> > partition. Now I only have 300 Mb's free and I havent installed anything
on
> > the C: partition. Now, I can understand log files writing to the C:
drive
> > but other than that I cant account for the missing 300 Mb's. Any
thoughts?

> > Thanks

XP eating up disk space...

Post by Ron Martel » Fri, 31 Aug 2001 03:38:47

>Yes, that was it. I had "Hibernation" enabled. Once that was disabled, I
>regained nearly 400 Mb's of space back. Oddly enough I have 384 Mb's of RAM
>installed.... Thanks for the tip ;)

Exactly.  Hibernation stores an image of your RAM onto the hard drive
so it can be restored to exactly the same state when it comes out of
hibernation.  So 384 mb of RAM would require a 384 mb hibernation
file.

Ron Martell     Duncan B.C.    Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

1. XP Eats Disk Space - Can I Delete Anything?

I have WinXP Home version - having used Win98 previously I notice that my
hard drive is filling up quickly. I have a 40 gig drive and have used xp for
only 4 months or so and around 7 gbytes of used disk space is unaccounted
for - so far - and this figure rises daily. This compares to around 1 gbyte
of unaccounted for disk space used in 2 years on my Win98 platform. I know
the system creates a restore point every now and then - can I delete any of
these RPxx files, or Restore Point Size files or $NTUninstallQxxxx$ files or
Qxxx.log files (where xx = an integer). Are there any other files I can
safely delete and can I turn anything OFF in XP to stop it eating my
valuable disk space ? Many thanks in advance.     Mike (UK)

2. Kan de e-mail niet lezen

3. System Restore Eats Too Much Disk Space!

4. Add image to form

5. Internet Information Server (IIS) eating disk space

6. Where could I find the Apache server software?

7. disk space pop ups

8. IE 6 issue

9. freeing space for XP SP1 - but it keeps eating it

10. xp ate my hard drive space

11. XP slowly eating up hard drive space PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!

12. XP slowly eating up hard drive space

13. XP eating up HDD space