Problem with Networking Win XP Pro Host with Win98SE Clients

Problem with Networking Win XP Pro Host with Win98SE Clients

Post by Nick Whit » Sat, 19 Jan 2002 00:18:40

I have recently installed a fresh copy of Win Xp Pro on
one of my home computers, that previously had Win 98SE on
it with ICS. Everything worked fine then but now, with XP
i can't seem to get the computers networking properly. On
the Win Xp machine i can ping the other computers in the
network, but cannot ping myself??? And the Win98SE
machines can ping each other but not the Win XP machine??
I have run the network wizard, and configured the IPs on
the clients manually 192.168.0.x.

Any suggestions on this weird situation?

Post by Steve Winogra » Sat, 19 Jan 2002 07:56:21

>I have recently installed a fresh copy of Win Xp Pro on
>one of my home computers, that previously had Win 98SE on
>it with ICS. Everything worked fine then but now, with XP
>i can't seem to get the computers networking properly. On
>the Win Xp machine i can ping the other computers in the
>network, but cannot ping myself??? And the Win98SE
>machines can ping each other but not the Win XP machine??
>I have run the network wizard, and configured the IPs on
>the clients manually 192.168.0.x.

>Any suggestions on this weird situation?

Make sure that XP's Internet Connection Firewall is disabled on the
local area network connection.  Details here:

Windows XP Internet Connection Firewall
http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp/ic_firewall.htm

Set the subnet mask to 255.255.255.0 on all computers.

If that doesn't help, try right-clicking and repairing the XP network
connection.
--
Best Wishes,
Steve Winograd, MS-MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/support/mvp

Sorry, but I don't give technical support by E-mail.
Please post all questions in the news group, and don't
E-mail your reply to me.

Adding Windows XP to an Existing Network
http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp/addxp.htm

Windows XP Internet Connection Sharing
http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp_ics

Windows XP Professional File Sharing

1. Win98SE Host to Win xp pro client ics won't work

I have a win98se desktop attached to the internet via a
dsl modem. I have connected to a winxp pro laptop via hpn
network. They communicate fine sharing files however I
cannot share the internet. I tried maintaining the ics
sharing of win 98se, and it will communicate however in
1/2 second the laptop (xp pro) crashes. I tried the xp
network disk and that removes ics from the win 98se
machine and they won't communicate.

2. Apache, mysql and PHP

3. Win 2000 Pro Client ---> Win XP Pro ICS Host won't route.

4. Redefining Keys

5. ICS Problem: XP Host/Win98SE Client

6. Using OCR with XP

7. How to approach/use an application from a client on a network-host (Host= XP home_ed)

8. Creating a Virtual IIS directory on Win 2000 hosted on XP Pro Client

9. ICS with Win XP as host and Win ME as client

10. Rebooting Win98se Host from Client

11. XP Pro won't network to Win 2K Pro.

12. Can i network WinXp host to Win 98 client?