No floppies work in floppy drive

Post by Kamill » Thu, 25 Jul 2002 05:56:39

I upgraded from win98se to Winxp pro.  Before the upgrade
I was able to use my floppy drive and now not one floppy
will work.  When a floppy is first put in it says the
disk in drive A: is not formatted, do you want to format
it now? If I let it the format screen comes up and I hit
start then okay after a few seconds the message "windows
was unable to complete the format"  then after clicking
okay the message "the disk in drive a: cannot be
formatted".  Now this is with any floppy blank or not.
Please someone help me to figure out what to do.

Thanks,

Kamille

No floppies work in floppy drive

Post by Evan Schielk » Thu, 25 Jul 2002 06:25:53

my friend was getting this with a brand new floppy drive and he ended up
just having to buy a new one cause it wouldnt work.
Evan a.k.a. Asmo_27

Quote:> I upgraded from win98se to Winxp pro.  Before the upgrade
> I was able to use my floppy drive and now not one floppy
> will work.  When a floppy is first put in it says the
> disk in drive A: is not formatted, do you want to format
> it now? If I let it the format screen comes up and I hit
> start then okay after a few seconds the message "windows
> was unable to complete the format"  then after clicking
> okay the message "the disk in drive a: cannot be
> formatted".  Now this is with any floppy blank or not.
> Please someone help me to figure out what to do.

> Thanks,

> Kamille

No floppies work in floppy drive

Post by W G Whit » Thu, 25 Jul 2002 21:36:29

Kamille,

What happens if you try CHKDSK A: from
the Command Prompt?

Geoff
---

> I upgraded from win98se to Winxp pro.  Before the upgrade
> I was able to use my floppy drive and now not one floppy
> will work.  When a floppy is first put in it says the
> disk in drive A: is not formatted, do you want to format
> it now? If I let it the format screen comes up and I hit
> start then okay after a few seconds the message "windows
> was unable to complete the format"  then after clicking
> okay the message "the disk in drive a: cannot be
> formatted".  Now this is with any floppy blank or not.
> Please someone help me to figure out what to do.

> Thanks,

> Kamille

1. Floppy death-3.5 floppy drive changed to 5.25 floppy

The computer is a 486/66 intel  with 24 mb ram running win 95 , sound
blaster , trident vga, winmodem

One day when it was booted up it went on the fritz, no video, and
horrid sounds coming from the speakers. It seemed as if it was booting
by listening to the computer 'go thru its routine' but no picture.

After trying the standard remove the cards and reseat them routine. I
still could not get a display. After replacing the video card with
another slightly different trident card (old card 9440....new card
9400 i think ..or vice versa), I managed to get the display up.

After troubleshooting other stuff (non system disk error-  it was not
recognizing the hard drive and would not boot)
This was when i realized that the floppy wasn't working right because
I could not boot to a floppy disk either. finally got the bios setup
to 'see' the HD with an auto detect and windows booted up.

The floppy drive doesnt appear to be getting power (no light) but  I
tested the power leads and confirmed that it was getting power to that
point . Then I tried a dif floppy drive that i know works with the
same results ...no powerlight  no sign of any activity to the drive
when booting up the computer. (there is  no listing of an A drive on
that initial information screen that I see when booting up either)

When i opened up windows explorer and tried to access the a drive I
noticed that it was listing as a 5.25 floppy and not a 3.5 floppy
drive.

I went into the device manager(which did show a problem with the
"yellow !"! symbol) and removed the floppy from the system and
rebooted the computer hoping windows would detect and install the
drive..no dice

after manually reinstalling the 'standard floppy device driver' and
running in the circles that the windows conflict troubleshooter sent
me through I am right back where i started. (no conflicts ever did
come up in the details box  even though it was supposedly a conflict
that prompted the launch of the troubleshooter)

The floppy drive shows no signs of life  and its still listing as a
5.25 floppy in the windows explorer

Im stumped.... Its probly something simple but i'll be damned if the
answer is coming to me. I also tried a dif connector cable as well.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks for takin the time to read through to the bitter end :)

Dale

2. GetTextExtent and CListBox and horizontal scroll??

3. why is my floppy disk/floppy drive not working

4. Disc Cleanup Utility almost wiped me completely clean!!!

5. floppy disc not recognised on insertion in floppy drive messege please insert floppy disc keeps comming up, floppy drive in device manager says this device is working properley?

6. dvd/cd - rom Drivers

7. old floppies not working - DOS boot floppy?

8. Installation Failed

9. Floppy drive icannot read floppy disks

10. Can floppy drive format floppy after change HD to NTFS

11. Floppy drive A can't read any floppies

12. Something accessing the floppy drive when no floppy in it

13. floppy drive work but dont work