POP-UPS WON'T STOP!

Post by LESLIE DZUR » Sat, 03 May 2003 05:14:43

I am not on the internet (we have DSL) and I am getting
over 50 pop-up windows every 5 minutes. It's consuming my
entire day just closing these windows and I have no idea
how to stop it. I have tried everything!

POP-UPS WON'T STOP!

Post by Jupiter Jone » Sat, 03 May 2003 05:26:46

Leslie;
You possibly have spyware or a virus and you definitely need a
firewall:
Run an updated virus scan.

For Messenger Service ads:
You need to install or enable a firewall:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;Q330904&
Disabling Messenger Service can be a good idea, but it does not solve
the real problem.
The ads are not the real problem, the ads are only a symptom.
The real problem is open ports that allow unwanted traffic into the
computer.
Disabling Messenger does nothing for the open ports.
The firewall controls the traffic.

This will not work if you have AOL.
AOL is not compatible with Windows XP Internet Connection Firewall
(ICF)
If you have AOL, you should contact AOL and/or get a 3rd party
firewall.

Disable Messenger Service:
Start/Control Panel, click Administrative Tools, click Services.
Go down to "Messenger".
Right click "Messenger" and select Properties.
Then under Start-up select DISABLE
Click OK and follow prompts

Run Ad-Aware (free version) or Spybot to check for spyware:
http://www.lavasoft.de/
Or
http://spybot.eon.net.au/

--
Jupiter Jones
An easier way to read newsgroup messages:

Quote:> I am not on the internet (we have DSL) and I am getting

Post by dave » Sat, 03 May 2003 18:36:30

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>I am not on the internet (we have DSL) and I am getting
>over 50 pop-up windows every 5 minutes. It's consuming
my
>entire day just closing these windows and I have no idea
>how to stop it. I have tried everything!
>.
>get norton personal firewall as it includes pop up and

pop under ad blocking,as well as making your pc very
secure as your using dsl,your also more vunerable to
hacking.peace of mind guaranteed.

1. Pop-ups, Pop-ups, Pop-ups EVERYWHERE .. arghhh

Is my pc infected or am I going mad here?
I get pop ups on 90% of websites that I open.
Yahoo, MSN, Ebay.... etc etc etc ..
I usually get that ad pop-up for the little investigative camera ...
And it only happens when I open a new window. Upon opening Yahoo, for
example, another smaller window pops up with an add...
Does anyone else get this? How is this fixable without installing any Pop up
removal software? I am willing to re-format if needed.
Thanks
gino

2. Load Administrator's desktop without custom settings???

3. "generic volume" device cause system can't hibernate?

4. The pop-ups the maddening pop-ups!!!

5. administration

6. Pop-ups and Messanger Pop-ups

7. Lost Serial Code

8. Pop-ups windows won't open and can't reinstall IE6

9. How Do You Stop Outlook Express Pop-Ups w/o Stopping Scipts

10. Pop-ups won't load

11. Stopping pop-ups in Windows Media Player

12. How do I stop pop-ups that appear on right clicking?