System Restore - Will not create restore point

System Restore - Will not create restore point

Post by webermi » Fri, 10 May 2002 08:55:56

My system restore function will not let me create a new restore point  - or
restore back to an old one. Is this a common problem? I never had the
problem before I set-up my RAID 0.

Any ideas?

Thanks

System Configuration:

Windows XP Pro

Athlon 1800+

Abit KRA7-RAID (VIA KT266A)

768 MB Samsung PC2100 DDR RAM

(2) Maxtor #6L060J3 60GB 7200RPM (RAID 0)   "C"

(1) Fujitsu #MPE3273AT 27GB   "D"

(1) Maxtor #6L060J3 60GB 7200RPM   "G"

Visiontek Xtasy 6564 (GeForce G3 Ti200)

Santa Cruz Sound Card

D-Link DFE-530TX+ Modem

Creative DI5630-4 Modem

TI IEEE 1394 Controller

Yamaha CRW2200EZ CR-RW

Pioneer 106S DVD

Post by Gary Thorn [MVP-WinXP » Fri, 10 May 2002 21:06:31

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>My system restore function will not let me create a new
restore point  - or
>restore back to an old one. Is this a common problem? I
never had the
>problem before I set-up my RAID 0.

>Any ideas?

>Thanks

>System Configuration:

>Windows XP Pro

>Athlon 1800+

>Abit KRA7-RAID (VIA KT266A)

>768 MB Samsung PC2100 DDR RAM

>(2) Maxtor #6L060J3 60GB 7200RPM (RAID 0)   "C"

>(1) Fujitsu #MPE3273AT 27GB   "D"

>(1) Maxtor #6L060J3 60GB 7200RPM   "G"

>Visiontek Xtasy 6564 (GeForce G3 Ti200)

>Santa Cruz Sound Card

>D-Link DFE-530TX+ Modem

>Creative DI5630-4 Modem

>TI IEEE 1394 Controller

>Yamaha CRW2200EZ CR-RW

>Pioneer 106S DVD

To fix SR:
1) Right-click My Computer on Descktop and select
Properties.
2) Select the System Restore tab.
3) Disable System Restore and Apply changes.
4) Most of the files should now be deleted. (If not re-
boot the machine)
5) Re-enable System Restore by following the first 2 steps
above.

If the above does not work try this troubleshooting guide
from Anshul Rawat, Program Manager - System Restore:

What are some general steps I should take if System
Restore does not work on my machine?
Answer: If you are receiving errors using system restore
please ensure the following on your machine:
1. The System Restore service is running. See ‘How
can I
verify that the System Restore services are running on my
machine?’

=================
How can I verify that the System Restore services are
running on my machine?
Answer: To verify that the System Restore Verifying that
the service is running use the following procedure.
o Verifying that the service is started from the Control
Panel:
1. Click Start, click Control Panel, and then
click "Performance and Maintenance".
2. Click Administrative Tools, click Computer Management,
and then click Services and Applications.
3. Click Services, and then click System Restore Services.
Make sure the Service is set to “Automatic”
and the status
is “started”.

==============
2. Make sure the task scheduler is running on your
machine. See ‘How can I verify that the Task
Scheduler is
running on my machine?’.

==============
How can I verify that the Task Scheduler is running on my
machine?
Answer: To verify that the Task Scheduler service is
running on your machine use the following procedure:
o Verifying that the service is started from the Control
Panel:
1. Click Start, click Control Panel, and then
click "Performance and Maintenance".
2. Click Administrative Tools, click Computer Management,
and then click Services and Applications.
3. Click Services, and then click the Task Scheduler
service. Make sure the Service is set to
“Automatic” and
the status is “started”.

=========================

3. Verify that you have enough free space on all your
drives as required by System Restore. If the free space on
any partition system restore is monitoring falls below
50MB, System Restore will suspend and purge out all
restore points to free up disk space. It will
automatically thaw itself when 200Mb+ free space is again
available on the machine. For more info on how Syst
{ w O  ? "V          ) em
Restore uses disk space also see:
http://support.microsoft.com/directory/article.asp?
ID=KB;EN-US;Q300044&.
4. Look at the event logs to investigate any system
restore related errors which could help you identify the
problem. See ‘How do I look at the event logs to
investigate any system restore errors?’

================
How do I look at the event logs to investigate any system
restore errors?
Answer: To check the event logs for System Restore related
errors:
1. Click Start, click Control Panel, and then
click "Performance and Maintenance".
2. Click Administrative Tools, click Computer Management,
double-click Event Viewer, and then click System.
3. Click the Source tab to sort by name, and then look
for "sr" or "srservice." Double-click each of these
services, and then evaluate the event description for any
indication of the cause of the problem.

Hope this helps!

Gary Thorn
MVP-WinXP
Associate Expert

More info about the Windows XP Expert Zone:
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone

More info about the MS MVP Program:
http://support.microsoft.com/support/mvp/