Booting up Error 'Boot.ini'

Post by Mike » Mon, 05 Nov 2001 16:34:25

Ever time I start my computer the screen flashes "Invalid 'Boot.ini' file
Booting from 'C:\Windows'" at the top corrner before windows comes on.

Also every other time i turn the computer on, I will get a blue screen error
and have to restart.  Then after I restart it works fine.  The blue screen
error says: UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME

Any ideas on what i can do to get rid of thse 2 things? And start my
computer in 1 try!?
-=MIKE=-

Booting up Error 'Boot.ini'

Post by Thorsten Matzne » Mon, 05 Nov 2001 20:25:08

>Ever time I start my computer the screen flashes "Invalid 'Boot.ini' file
>Booting from 'C:\Windows'" at the top corrner before windows comes on.

Could you post the contents of the BOOT.INI here, so that we can have
a look on it?

Quote:>Also every other time i turn the computer on, I will get a blue screen error
>and have to restart.  Then after I restart it works fine.  The blue screen
>error says: UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME

See if this helps:
"STOP 0x000000ED UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME" Error Message During Windows
XP Upgrade

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Microsoft Windows XP Professional

SYMPTOMS
You may receive the following error message when you first restart
your computer during the upgrade to Windows XP:

STOP 0x000000ED UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME
After you receive this error message, your original operating system
still works correctly. In some cases, a message appears on the BIOS
report screen, which states that the wrong cable is in use, but you
may not see this message on computers that have a fast startup time.

CAUSE
This behavior may occur if the following conditions exist:

You are using an Ultra Direct Memory Access (UDMA) controller with
your computer.

You are using a standard 40-wire connector cable to connect the UDMA
drive to the controller instead of the required 80-wire, 40-pin cable.

The basic input/output system (BIOS) is set to force the faster UDMA
modes.

RESOLUTION
To resolve this behavior, replace the 40-wire cable with an 80-wire
UDMA cable,

-or-

load the 'Fail-Safe' BIOS default and reactivate the most currently
used options such as USB Support.

STATUS
This behavior is by design.

MORE INFORMATION
The purpose of this behavior is to prevent potential data loss due to
the usage of an incorrect IDE cable for the faster UDMA modes.

Additional query words:

Issue type : kbprb
Technology : kbWinXPHome kbWinXPPro kbWinXPProSearch kbWinXPHomeSearch
kbWinXPSearch

Last Reviewed: October 25, 2001

--
(tm)