Random re-boot problem

Post by Chri » Fri, 16 Nov 2001 18:49:43

Hi all, I am having a problem with XP Home Ed. My computer reboots my itself
in the middle of an install from the CD-RW. I can be installing anything, a
game, Office 2000, or just copying a large amount of data off of a CD onto
the hard drive. The computer will just reboot in the middle of what it's
doing. Any one got an answer for this one?

Random re-boot problem

Post by Bill Kir » Fri, 16 Nov 2001 23:46:45

Verify you have over 1 gig of space on the hard drive... if your pagefile is
getting full, it will automatically reboot the computer... also verify your
power supply can handle all the hardware you have plugged in, that too will
cause reboots...

(I had both these problems on a friends cpu.. we disconnected an extra hard
drive and it quit... then he filled the hard drive left up, had less then a
gig free and his cpu started auto restarting at random times, I deletes and
cleaned usless programs to free space and now he's running fine...

--

=> Bill Kirk <=

A+ Certified Technician
Microsoft Certified Professional
HTTP://members.home.net/billkirk3

> Hi all, I am having a problem with XP Home Ed. My computer reboots my
itself
> in the middle of an install from the CD-RW. I can be installing anything,
> game, Office 2000, or just copying a large amount of data off of a CD onto
> the hard drive. The computer will just reboot in the middle of what it's
> doing. Any one got an answer for this one?

1. Random Re-boot XP home edition Gateway 2GHZ machine.

Hello,

    I've been experiencing a random reboot about once  a month or so. The
2GHZ gateway machine has been very stable for over year, until I was trying
to reinstall the Sound blaster's software drivers to support my new 5.1
speakers, due to the AudioHQ which is the control panel for the 5.1
speakers, was upon invocation was rendering a hardware not detected error
and failed to start up, so it appears  that all the software driver was
never installed properly.
   I tried removing all the sound cards driver's  to just let the CD
re-install everything, but that resulted in the sound not working at all.
  so i used the restore feature, and then tried to install only the software
driver for the sound blaster card, which worked. I can execute the AudioHQ
and it detects and shows the surround sound speakers and the self-test and
all functions of the software work, however ever since i was mucking around
with this issue, which including pulling the card out of the PCI slot in
order to inspect the card for part numbers, the machine as randomly
rebooted. The reason i'm suspicious it's related to fixing the sound card
driver, is that it rebooted once during the time when i was attempting to
fix it, i thought it must have just been a fluke at the time, until months
later when it continue to randomly reboot.
     Any suggestions or speculations would be appreciated,

Thanks in Advance,
Larry Stapleton

2. SOFTWARE FOR INTERACTIVE ANIMATIONS?

3. BOOT ERROR: No system file, press a key to re-boot.

4. reboot

5. Home networking re-boot problem

6. Out;look 2002

7. Weird Problem - XP rolling back on re-boot

8. email problem

9. Re-boot problem!!

10. Modem problem on re-boot

11. Window Re-boot Problem