Problems with DHCP and DNS

Post by Andy Olse » Mon, 13 May 2002 11:39:46

I took my computer that I use at home to work one day and
upgrated it from windows 2000 pro to xp pro. And while I
was there I made the mistake of renewing the IP with the
DHCP server with the "ipconfig/release and renew"
commands. Well now that it is here at home, I don't have a
DHCP server and as a result, it is having problems
connecting to the internet. Even when I click on the
option to repair the Lan connection, it comes back with a
error saying it could renew the address. How do I turn
this off to where it won't look to the DHCP and get it
like it was when it was a fresh install. The wierd part is
I can still share files over the connection on my peer to
peer at home. But it has problems with dialup and a shared
connection running windows 2000 pro on another machine.
Any help on this matter would be really helpful to me.

Problems with DHCP and DNS

Post by Steve Winogra » Tue, 14 May 2002 09:36:08

>I took my computer that I use at home to work one day and
>upgrated it from windows 2000 pro to xp pro. And while I
>was there I made the mistake of renewing the IP with the
>DHCP server with the "ipconfig/release and renew"
>commands. Well now that it is here at home, I don't have a
>DHCP server and as a result, it is having problems
>connecting to the internet. Even when I click on the
>option to repair the Lan connection, it comes back with a
>error saying it could renew the address. How do I turn
>this off to where it won't look to the DHCP and get it
>like it was when it was a fresh install. The wierd part is
>I can still share files over the connection on my peer to
>peer at home. But it has problems with dialup and a shared
>connection running windows 2000 pro on another machine.
>Any help on this matter would be really helpful to me.

What were the TCP/IP settings before you took the computer to work and
upgraded it?  The same settings should work now.
--
Best Wishes,
Steve Winograd, MS-MVP

for everyone to see.  I will not answer questions addressed
directly to me in E-mail or news groups.

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/support/mvp

Adding Windows XP to an Existing Network
http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp/addxp.htm

Windows XP Internet Connection Sharing
http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp_ics

Windows XP Professional File Sharing

Windows XP Network Troubleshooting
http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/troubleshoot

Problems with DHCP and DNS

Post by Jay » Tue, 14 May 2002 13:19:14

Are there any specifics to using zonealarm with a DSL
connection.  I can connect great after a fresh reboot, but
after my computer sits for 30 minutes, an hour, sometimes
as long as a whole day I get an error and have to reboot
to connect...  Its hard to test it removing the firewall,
because even with it on, my connection may work great for
2-3 days and then all of a sudden need a reboot to
connect...  Is there a specific list of programs that
zonealarm or any firewall require to allow internet
connection/server rights.  I can't help thinking this may
also have something to do with it..  I don't know exactly
what to allow and what not to allow.  For example,
starting with a fresh zonealarm install, I may connect 2 -
3 times, and all of a sudden svhost will ask for
permission to connect, why didn't it do that the first
time?  Same with other windows related programs.  Thanks!!

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>In article <2ad901c1f95e$47b12bc0

>>I took my computer that I use at home to work one day
and
>>upgrated it from windows 2000 pro to xp pro. And while I
>>was there I made the mistake of renewing the IP with the
>>DHCP server with the "ipconfig/release and renew"
>>commands. Well now that it is here at home, I don't have
>>DHCP server and as a result, it is having problems
>>connecting to the internet. Even when I click on the
>>option to repair the Lan connection, it comes back with
>>error saying it could renew the address. How do I turn
>>this off to where it won't look to the DHCP and get it
>>like it was when it was a fresh install. The wierd part
is
>>I can still share files over the connection on my peer
>>peer at home. But it has problems with dialup and a
shared
>>connection running windows 2000 pro on another machine.
>>Any help on this matter would be really helpful to me.

>What were the TCP/IP settings before you took the

computer to work and

Quote:>upgraded it?  The same settings should work now.
>--
>Best Wishes,
>Steve Winograd, MS-MVP

>Please post any reply as a follow-up message in the news
group
>for everyone to see.  I will not answer questions
addressed
>directly to me in E-mail or news groups.

>Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Windows XP
>http://support.microsoft.com/support/mvp

>Adding Windows XP to an Existing Network
>http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp/addxp.htm

>Windows XP Internet Connection Sharing
>http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp_ics

>Windows XP Professional File Sharing
>http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp_filesharing/index.htm

>Windows XP Network Troubleshooting
>http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/troubleshoot
>.

1. setting up dhcp and dns server for automatic dns entry

I would like to set up an NT4 server on my network for a dos client which
uses bootp to configure its own IP address and access other windows nodes on
the server that are also dhcp clients of the server. question is the DNS
server does not seem to automatically create entries for the windows and dos
clients so that the dos clients are able to do a DNS query successfully on
the server. Is it possible for me to configure the dhcp and dns server so
that when a client gets its ip address its name and ip is added into the DNS
server records by itself? Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Thank you.

2. pci modem

3. DHCP, DNS, WINS, dynamic DNS, other questions

4. Burning CD's

5. DHCP/DNS problem

6. Graphics Card Upgrade

7. Using a UNIX box for DNS via PPP (was Dialup IP/DNS problem)

8. Help! I lost my file manager icon :)

9. Using Windows XP ICS on a Domain with DHCP/DNS

10. DHCP, DNS, AD

11. howto config DHCP NAT DNS like a server?

12. DNS, DHCP, RRAS

13. Windows XP home, DHCP, and DNS