Java App.

Post by Kelsey Lamdi » Mon, 05 May 2003 05:13:42

I do not know much about computers, but I do know that to
read some internet files, etc. I need a Java Application
to run them.  The problem is, my computer doesn't have
one, I am running XP, and I need to know how to get one...

Thank very much

_Kelsey Lamdin, ME

Java App.

Post by Rick » Mon, 05 May 2003 05:47:20

Hi Kelsey,

http://java.sun.com/getjava/index.html

--
Best of Luck,

Rick Rogers aka "Nutcase" MS-MVP - Win9x - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Associate Expert - WinXP - Expert Zone -
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Win98 Help - www.rickrogers.org

Quote:> I do not know much about computers, but I do know that to
> read some internet files, etc. I need a Java Application
> to run them.  The problem is, my computer doesn't have
> one, I am running XP, and I need to know how to get one...

> Thank very much

> _Kelsey Lamdin, ME

Java App.

Post by Jupiter Jone » Mon, 05 May 2003 05:36:25

Kelsey;
Microsoft is removing Microsoft Virtual Machine from its websites and
stopping distribution because of a court order:
http://www.microsoft.com/java/
http://www2.whidbey.net/djdenham/VM.htm

You can download Sun Java here:
http://java.sun.com/getjava/

--
Jupiter Jones
An easier way to read newsgroup messages:

Quote:> I do not know much about computers, but I do know that to
> read some internet files, etc. I need a Java Application
> to run them.  The problem is, my computer doesn't have
> one, I am running XP, and I need to know how to get one...

> Thank very much

> _Kelsey Lamdin, ME

1. Java app calling Java app through command.com loses env vars

I'm starting to use a product that has one step of its installation/setup that
is a cmd script that calls a Java application that ends up using command.com to
call another Java application.  The last Java application needs to references
environment variables set in the cmd script.

In Windows 2000, this process works fine.  The last Java application sees the
environment variables fine.  In Windows XP, however, the last Java application
seems to have no environment variables (I've only tried several, but I haven't
checked to see if there are any at all).

I wish they had written this process better (as the second Java application has
a relatively easy-to-use API that they could have just called directly from the
first Java application), but they didn't.  I don't expect them to re-architect
this any time soon.

The question I have is, is there something that changed between Win2k and WinXP
in the area of calling other applications through command.com, such that a
downstream called application wouldn't be able to get any environment
variables?

Is there something they're supposed to use instead of "command.com" for this
sort of thing?  I know there's "cmd" and "command", and "cmd" appears to be
much more functional, but I don't know a lot about the differences between
them.

David M. Karr          ; Java/J2EE/XML/Unix/C++

2. Cannot disable banner/separator page

3. WM encoder library for java app dvpt

4. Help

5. Runtime error with java apps

6. outlook express folder management

7. IE6.0 hangs when launching java apps or redirected pages

8. NT Remote Drive

9. java apps

10. Running Java apps

11. java app crashes in XP

12. java app crashes

13. IE v6 not displaying pages or java apps correctly