Open all folders in "explorer" mode instead of "open" mode.

Open all folders in "explorer" mode instead of "open" mode.

Post by Kerr » Thu, 05 Jun 2003 11:20:25

I would like all opened folders to display the directory tree in the left
column by default. Currently when I open a folder the left column displays a
list of "common tasks" instead of the directory tree seen when using Windows
Explorer. I can display the tree by clicking the "Folders" toolbar button,
but I would prefer to display the explorer-style tree for all windows by
default. Is there a way?

Thanks,

Kerry

Open all folders in "explorer" mode instead of "open" mode.

Post by Kell » Thu, 05 Jun 2003 16:16:31

Hi Kerry,

Open Windows Explorer/Tools/Folder Options and choose Use Windows classic
folders.

If that doesn't clear things for you, run the Disable listed here:

Common Tasks View - Disable or Enable (Line 78)

To use the Regedit:  Save the REG File to your hard disk. Double click it
and answer yes to the import prompt. REG files can be viewed in Notepad by
right clicking on the file and selecting Edit.

--
All the Best,
Kelly

MS-MVP Win98/XP
[AE-Windows? XP]

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

Top 10 Frequently Asked Questions and Answers

Quote:> I would like all opened folders to display the directory tree in the left
> column by default. Currently when I open a folder the left column displays
> list of "common tasks" instead of the directory tree seen when using
Windows
> Explorer. I can display the tree by clicking the "Folders" toolbar button,
> but I would prefer to display the explorer-style tree for all windows by
> default. Is there a way?

> Thanks,

> Kerry

Open all folders in "explorer" mode instead of "open" mode.

Post by Kerr » Fri, 06 Jun 2003 07:38:26

Kelly,

Thank you very much for the Windows XP folder options tip. Your suggestion
did succeed in causing new folder windows to open without displaying the
common tasks column. Now, newly opened windows display the contents of the
folder only. Neither the "common tasks" column nor the "explorer" directory
tree are displayed in the left part of the window.

However, my original goal was to force Windows to display the directory tree
by default for new folder windows. I know I can display the tree by clicking
the "folders" toolbar button, but I would love to save myself the extra
required click every time I open a window. After all, that's what
streamlining is all about, right?   :)

Thanks,

Kerry

> Hi Kerry,

> Open Windows Explorer/Tools/Folder Options and choose Use Windows classic
> folders.

> If that doesn't clear things for you, run the Disable listed here:

> Common Tasks View - Disable or Enable (Line 78)

> To use the Regedit:  Save the REG File to your hard disk. Double click it
> and answer yes to the import prompt. REG files can be viewed in Notepad by
> right clicking on the file and selecting Edit.

> --
> All the Best,
> Kelly

> MS-MVP Win98/XP
> [AE-Windows? XP]

> Troubleshooting Windows XP
> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

> Top 10 Frequently Asked Questions and Answers
> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/top10faqs.htm

> > I would like all opened folders to display the directory tree in the
left
> > column by default. Currently when I open a folder the left column
displays
> > list of "common tasks" instead of the directory tree seen when using
> Windows
> > Explorer. I can display the tree by clicking the "Folders" toolbar
button,
> > but I would prefer to display the explorer-style tree for all windows by
> > default. Is there a way?

> > Thanks,

> > Kerry

Open all folders in "explorer" mode instead of "open" mode.

Post by Kell » Fri, 06 Jun 2003 14:53:29

Hi Kerry,

Go to Start/Run/Regedit, navigate to this key:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar\ShellBrowser
and delete the value named
ITBarLayout in the right pane.

--
All the Best,
Kelly

MS-MVP Win98/XP
[AE-Windows? XP]

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

Top 10 Frequently Asked Questions and Answers

> Kelly,

> Thank you very much for the Windows XP folder options tip. Your suggestion
> did succeed in causing new folder windows to open without displaying the
> common tasks column. Now, newly opened windows display the contents of the
> folder only. Neither the "common tasks" column nor the "explorer"
directory
> tree are displayed in the left part of the window.

> However, my original goal was to force Windows to display the directory
tree
> by default for new folder windows. I know I can display the tree by
clicking
> the "folders" toolbar button, but I would love to save myself the extra
> required click every time I open a window. After all, that's what
> streamlining is all about, right?   :)

> Thanks,

> Kerry

> > Hi Kerry,

> > Open Windows Explorer/Tools/Folder Options and choose Use Windows
classic
> > folders.

> > If that doesn't clear things for you, run the Disable listed here:

> > Common Tasks View - Disable or Enable (Line 78)
> > http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

> > To use the Regedit:  Save the REG File to your hard disk. Double click
it
> > and answer yes to the import prompt. REG files can be viewed in Notepad
by
> > right clicking on the file and selecting Edit.

> > --
> > All the Best,
> > Kelly

> > MS-MVP Win98/XP
> > [AE-Windows? XP]

> > Troubleshooting Windows XP
> > http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

> > Top 10 Frequently Asked Questions and Answers
> > http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/top10faqs.htm

> > > I would like all opened folders to display the directory tree in the
> left
> > > column by default. Currently when I open a folder the left column
> displays
> > > list of "common tasks" instead of the directory tree seen when using
> > Windows
> > > Explorer. I can display the tree by clicking the "Folders" toolbar
> button,
> > > but I would prefer to display the explorer-style tree for all windows
by
> > > default. Is there a way?

> > > Thanks,

> > > Kerry

Open all folders in "explorer" mode instead of "open" mode.

Post by nospam.ple.. » Sat, 07 Jun 2003 07:20:13

Or in Explorer go to Tools/Folder Options/File Types and select "(NONE)
Folder" (not "File Folder") (In Win2k it is "N/A - Folder") - click the
"Advanced" button, select "Explore", and click the "Set Default" button.

For those who don't want the "Explore" view: select the "Open" one instead.

 |Hi Kerry,
 |
 |Go to Start/Run/Regedit, navigate to this key:
 |HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar\ShellBrowser
 |and delete the value named
 |ITBarLayout in the right pane.

1. Open all folders in "explorer" mode instead of "open" mode.

I would like all opened folders to display the directory tree in the left
column by default. Currently when I open a folder the left column displays a
list of "common tasks" instead of the directory tree seen when using Windows
Explorer. I can display the tree by clicking the "Folders" toolbar button,
but I would prefer to display the explorer-style tree for all windows by
default. Is there a way?

Thanks,

Kerry

2. USB 2.0 pci card not recognized

3. "safe mode","sound/video card","installing hardware"...pick one!

4. HDs corrupted and Win98 won't boot

5. File folders opening in "search" mode, not open

6. Winup: Error Message:

7. Change default to "OPEN" Attachment instead of "Save"

8. UNATTENDED SHUTDOWN, HELP!!!

9. Clicking on a Drive in My Computer Starts "Search" Instead of "Open"

10. Right click context menu has "SEARCH" at the top instead of "OPEN"

11. Changing primary function to "open" instead of "search"

12. "Opening" instead of "saving to disk" HELP!!

13. subfolders of "Sent Items" show "From" instead of "To"