help with encrtpt/decypt

Post by chri » Sat, 03 May 2003 05:28:24

i encryped soem files on my d drive, soem time later i
formated my c drive and reinstalled win xp. i forgot to
dycrypt these files before i reinstalled. i cant decrypt
these files now. i need help on how to get these to
decrypt.

help with encrtpt/decypt

Post by The Reverend X » Sat, 03 May 2003 06:54:53

You must have the original encryption code to decrypt
files. You may have to take this to a damn good computer
geek now. Good luck.

help with encrtpt/decypt

Post by MV » Sat, 03 May 2003 09:04:02

> i encryped soem files on my d drive, soem time later i
> formated my c drive and reinstalled win xp. i forgot to
> dycrypt these files before i reinstalled. i cant decrypt
> these files now. i need help on how to get these to
> decrypt.

Hi

If you have a backup of the old user's profile files:

Microsoft have a tool (reccerts.exe) that might can help you out if you have
the old user's profile files (paid support), or if you are an advanced user,
you can take a shot at yourself, take a look here:

http://www.beginningtoseethelight.org/efsrecovery/

From a previous posting of mine:

Read and understand the information in the links below before you start using
Encrypting File System (EFS), or you will very likely loose your files one
time in the future:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;223316

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/techinfo/administration/recove...

(58 pages)

also gives information/links on to how to export keys, e.g.

"Data Recovery on Standalone Machines"

Under "Knowledge Base Articles on EFS" you will find e.g.

Q241201 How to Back Up Your Encrypting File System Private Key
Q255742 Methods for Recovering Encrypted Data Files

Reading Q255742, will give you this as well:

Q241201 HOW TO: Back Up Your Encrypting File System Private Key in Windows 2000

Q242296 How to Restore an EFS Private Key for Encrypted Data Recovery

If your computer is not a member of an AD domain, this part of the document is
obligatory reading:

"Using EFS with Standalone Machines or NT 4.0 Domains"

--
torgeir
Administration scripting examples and an ONLINE version of the 1328 page

1. HELP!HELP!HELP!HELP!HELP!HELP!HELP!HELP!HELP!HELP!HELP!HELP!

I am running a 3.51 NT server which runs a domain on a LAN. Before it was
running as a domain server, it was working as a workgroup server and I got the
FTP server to work perfectly well. I later changed to a domain server, and I
just can't get the ftp server to work, even after re-installing the ftp
service. The users can connect to the server, but when after trying to login
via anonymous login,  the message : user "e-mail address" cannot login to the
server.

This also happens to valid users on the server. What could I be doing wrong,
could somebody kindly help me???

Moses M. Otyek
Systems Engineer
InfoMail (Uganda) Ltd.
http://www.imul.com
Tel:256-41-258361
Fax:256-41-236256
** INFOMAIL - THE GATEWAY TO UGANDA **

2. Defrag Malfunctioning on XP Pro

3. Help Help Help Help Help Help Help Please

4. Logging on

5. HELP HELP HELP HELP HELP HELP!!!!!!!!!!!

6. 3500 + Screen Protector ?

7. HELP HELP HELP HELP HELP HELP PLEASE

8. Uploading

9. help help help helphelp help anyone