The pop-ups the maddening pop-ups!!!

Post by LostPerso » Mon, 16 Jun 2003 03:20:07

Does anyone know how to end the pop-ups? They freeze the
computer, disrupt important conversations and bother me
while working. I found some .exes in Windows/System32 but
that i have a feeling cause the pop ups but I dont want
to take a risk. Please someone help.
Application Names:

winpup32.exe (opens when comp turns on)
save.exe

Thank you

The pop-ups the maddening pop-ups!!!

Post by Jupiter Jones [MVP » Mon, 16 Jun 2003 03:46:55

No need to pay for the fix.
For Messenger Service ads:
You need to install or enable a firewall:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;Q330904&
Disabling Messenger Service can be a good idea, but it does not solve
the real problem.
The ads are not the real problem, the ads are only a symptom.
The real problem is open ports that allow unwanted traffic into the
computer.
Disabling Messenger does nothing for the open ports.
The firewall controls the traffic.

This will not work if you have AOL.
AOL is not compatible with Windows XP Internet Connection Firewall
(ICF)
If you have AOL, you should contact AOL and/or get a 3rd party
firewall.

Disable Messenger Service:
Start/Control Panel, click Administrative Tools, click Services.
Go down to "Messenger".
Right click "Messenger" and select Properties.
Then under Start-up select DISABLE
Click OK and follow prompts

Check this link:
http://www.aumha.org/a/noads.php
Run Ad-Aware (free version) or Spybot to check for spyware:
http://www.lavasoft.de/
Or
http://spybot.eon.net.au/

For internet pop-ups, try one of these:
http://www.panicware.com/
http://www.bysoft.se/sureshot/stopthepop/index.html
http://www.popupbuster.com/PopUpBuster/
http://www.kolumbus.fi/eero.muhonen/FS/
http://www.endpopups.com/
http://www.adshield.org/

--
Jupiter Jones  [MVP]
An easier way to read newsgroup messages:

Quote:> Does anyone know how to end the pop-ups? They freeze the

Post by mb » Mon, 16 Jun 2003 04:46:25

Quote:> Does anyone know how to end the pop-ups? They freeze the
> computer, disrupt important conversations and bother me
> while working. I found some .exes in Windows/System32 but
> that i have a feeling cause the pop ups but I dont want
> to take a risk. Please someone help.
> Application Names:

> winpup32.exe (opens when comp turns on)
> save.exe

Save.exe comes with Kazaa, I turned mine off in msconfig, as it starts on
boot-up. Make sure you also don't have things in the "start-up" programs
folder.
Don't know about winpup32, but Spybot search and Destroy could probably sort
it out. http://security.kolla.de

1. Pop-ups, Pop-ups, Pop-ups EVERYWHERE .. arghhh

Is my pc infected or am I going mad here?
I get pop ups on 90% of websites that I open.
Yahoo, MSN, Ebay.... etc etc etc ..
I usually get that ad pop-up for the little investigative camera ...
And it only happens when I open a new window. Upon opening Yahoo, for
example, another smaller window pops up with an add...
Does anyone else get this? How is this fixable without installing any Pop up
removal software? I am willing to re-format if needed.
Thanks
gino

2. INFO: Multiple IPs on a NIC in Win98

3. RICHARDSON Visual C/C++ Developer - Gaming

4. Pop-ups and Messanger Pop-ups

5. Ultra/ATA IDE Controllers

6. Stopping pop-ups in Windows Media Player

7. recording cassettes and vinyl recordings

8. MP7 radio question (re pop-ups)

9. Media Payer pop-ups

10. popups, pop-ups, sub windows, sub-windows are not working IE6 SP1

11. IE 6 hangs w/new pop-ups

12. Unwanted pop-ups