Unwanted dial-ups

Post by Steve Campbe » Sat, 04 May 2002 19:01:33

Problem:
This has only happened over the last few weeks, for no apparent
reason.

On boot up and then hourly my XP/HE installation keeps dialling up and
using any or all of my internet connections in turn in an attempt to
get out.  ZoneAlarm Pro stops any actual communication but not the
dial up happening.  It will do it even when games are being played.

The culprits superficially seem to be Smart Address and a 'Generic
Host Process'.  The extremely helpful (and I don't say this lightly)
tech support at Smart Address has said "There is no dial-capability
built into SA, so something on your system is picking up the TCP/IP
request and creating a dial-up session."  In fact there are something
like a dozen GHP attempts to every one of Smart Address's and so I
tend to think that the real culprit is Windows.

The only thing I've changed recently in order to stop the occasional
boot-up hang whilst there is an apparently fruitless search for my
network connections is that I disabled 'Workstation' - following
advice on this newsgroup.  That seems to have worked but I wonder if
there is something else which also needs to go!

Any help much appreciated.

Steve

Unwanted dial-ups

Post by YiDaK » Sat, 04 May 2002 21:24:12

Do the following:

Open Network connections
Open Advanced
Choose: Dialing Preferences
Uncheck: Enable Autodial

Ready!

YiDaKi

> Problem:
> This has only happened over the last few weeks, for no apparent
> reason.

> On boot up and then hourly my XP/HE installation keeps dialling up and
> using any or all of my internet connections in turn in an attempt to
> get out.  ZoneAlarm Pro stops any actual communication but not the
> dial up happening.  It will do it even when games are being played.

> The culprits superficially seem to be Smart Address and a 'Generic
> Host Process'.  The extremely helpful (and I don't say this lightly)
> tech support at Smart Address has said "There is no dial-capability
> built into SA, so something on your system is picking up the TCP/IP
> request and creating a dial-up session."  In fact there are something
> like a dozen GHP attempts to every one of Smart Address's and so I
> tend to think that the real culprit is Windows.

> The only thing I've changed recently in order to stop the occasional
> boot-up hang whilst there is an apparently fruitless search for my
> network connections is that I disabled 'Workstation' - following
> advice on this newsgroup.  That seems to have worked but I wonder if
> there is something else which also needs to go!

> Any help much appreciated.

> Steve

Unwanted dial-ups

Post by Steve Campbe » Sun, 05 May 2002 07:12:39

Thanks, This seems to have worked, so far.

All the best.

Steve

>Problem:
>This has only happened over the last few weeks, for no apparent
>reason.

>On boot up and then hourly my XP/HE installation keeps dialling up and
>using any or all of my internet connections in turn in an attempt to
>get out.  ZoneAlarm Pro stops any actual communication but not the
>dial up happening.  It will do it even when games are being played.

>The culprits superficially seem to be Smart Address and a 'Generic
>Host Process'.  The extremely helpful (and I don't say this lightly)
>tech support at Smart Address has said "There is no dial-capability
>built into SA, so something on your system is picking up the TCP/IP
>request and creating a dial-up session."  In fact there are something
>like a dozen GHP attempts to every one of Smart Address's and so I
>tend to think that the real culprit is Windows.

>The only thing I've changed recently in order to stop the occasional
>boot-up hang whilst there is an apparently fruitless search for my
>network connections is that I disabled 'Workstation' - following
>advice on this newsgroup.  That seems to have worked but I wonder if
>there is something else which also needs to go!

>Any help much appreciated.

>Steve

1. Copy Dial-Ups

I'm using WinXP.  I used to run Win98. I was able to copy the Dial-Ups in
Win98 to the hard drive for another computer running W2k to copy into it's
Dial-Up networking folder.  In WinXP, I'm unable to copy the Dial-Ups.  Is
there another quick way of transferring the info.?

Paul

2. Zip drive autoload

3. Internet sharing with dial-ups?

4. Domain users backup apps . . . .

5. Need to log all my internet dial-ups

6. Msie4.0 Alpha

7. auto dial-ups

8. suggested hardware for NT workstation

9. Trouble with Several Dial-Ups

10. Profiles and dial-ups

11. XP - Dial-up Connection...keeps dialing and dialing and dialing and dialing

12. Pop-ups, Pop-ups, Pop-ups EVERYWHERE .. arghhh