Home networking re-boot problem

Post by Len » Tue, 20 May 2003 15:48:04

I have networked my Win XP Dell desk machine to my W98
laptop.  The desk machine is connected to the Internet
via a cable modem using an internal Ethernet adapter.
The laptop is connected from its internal Ethernet
adapter to an external Ethernet adapter connected to the
desktop machine with a USB connector.
When I reboot the laptop, it will not connect to the home
network and my desk machine shows that the local area
connection is broken.
However, if I unplug the USB connector from the Dell
desktop and plug it back in again, the connection is made
immediately.
I would appreciate some help.

Home networking re-boot problem

Post by Jim Mackli » Tue, 20 May 2003 16:16:39

USB has some problems maintaining connections, when you hot
plug USB it "discovers" the connection again.
You would do better to connect your cable modem to a router
and use Ethernet RJ45/Cat 5 connections.

| I have networked my Win XP Dell desk machine to my W98
| laptop.  The desk machine is connected to the Internet
| via a cable modem using an internal Ethernet adapter.
| The laptop is connected from its internal Ethernet
| adapter to an external Ethernet adapter connected to the
| desktop machine with a USB connector.
| When I reboot the laptop, it will not connect to the home
| network and my desk machine shows that the local area
| connection is broken.
| However, if I unplug the USB connector from the Dell
| desktop and plug it back in again, the connection is made
| immediately.
| I would appreciate some help.

1. Random Re-boot XP home edition Gateway 2GHZ machine.

Hello,

    I've been experiencing a random reboot about once  a month or so. The
2GHZ gateway machine has been very stable for over year, until I was trying
to reinstall the Sound blaster's software drivers to support my new 5.1
speakers, due to the AudioHQ which is the control panel for the 5.1
speakers, was upon invocation was rendering a hardware not detected error
and failed to start up, so it appears  that all the software driver was
never installed properly.
   I tried removing all the sound cards driver's  to just let the CD
re-install everything, but that resulted in the sound not working at all.
  so i used the restore feature, and then tried to install only the software
driver for the sound blaster card, which worked. I can execute the AudioHQ
and it detects and shows the surround sound speakers and the self-test and
all functions of the software work, however ever since i was mucking around
with this issue, which including pulling the card out of the PCI slot in
order to inspect the card for part numbers, the machine as randomly
rebooted. The reason i'm suspicious it's related to fixing the sound card
driver, is that it rebooted once during the time when i was attempting to
fix it, i thought it must have just been a fluke at the time, until months
later when it continue to randomly reboot.
     Any suggestions or speculations would be appreciated,

Thanks in Advance,
Larry Stapleton

2. Aktenkoffer

3. BOOT ERROR: No system file, press a key to re-boot.

4. complaint/help

5. Random re-boot problem

6. Windows XP Update

7. Weird Problem - XP rolling back on re-boot

8. Modem Script for Win95

9. Re-boot problem!!

10. Modem problem on re-boot

11. Window Re-boot Problem