WinXP to WinMe network not working

Post by Nic Tregaske » Tue, 12 Mar 2002 01:59:09

Hello,

I have set-up 2 computers, one with WindowsXP and one with WindowsMe.  Both
with the same fully working network cards.  The network cable is working
fine, I can ping both machines and get replies, but I can't see each machine
from My Network Places.

I've put them on a workgroup called Tregaskes, one computer named Nic, the
other names Eve.  I've gone though the Network and Home Networking wizards
on both machines.  I've checked they both have TCP/IP, File Sharing and
Microsoft Network.  I've set-up one machine to use the IP 192.168.0.1 and
the other to use 192.168.0.2, but still nothing works.

I have seen the other machine briefly appear.  I had My Network Places open
in the Tregaskes workgroup in WindowsMe and while the WindowsXP machine was
booting into Windows I pressed Refresh and the other machine appeared -
refreshing a moment later the computer had gone.

Does anyone have any ideas?  All I want is for the WindowsXP to see the
WindowsMe machine.  I don't think I will be able to access the WinXP machine
from WinMe as the XP hard drives are formatted to NTFS.

Hope someone can help?

Nic.

WinXP to WinMe network not working

Post by Nic Tregaske » Tue, 12 Mar 2002 07:10:16

Hello again,

I've just tried using Remote Desktop to connect from the WindowsXP machine
to the WindowsMe machine.  I've installed the Remote Desktop onto the Me
machine, then entered the Me's IP address to connect.  At first ZoneAlarm
blocked the connection, so I turned the security down, but it still says
"The client could not connect to the remote computer..."

Does this help?

Nic.

Quote:> Hello,

> I have set-up 2 computers, one with WindowsXP and one with WindowsMe.
Both
> with the same fully working network cards.  The network cable is working
> fine, I can ping both machines and get replies, but I can't see each
machine
> from My Network Places.

> I've put them on a workgroup called Tregaskes, one computer named Nic, the
> other names Eve.  I've gone though the Network and Home Networking wizards
> on both machines.  I've checked they both have TCP/IP, File Sharing and
> Microsoft Network.  I've set-up one machine to use the IP 192.168.0.1 and
> the other to use 192.168.0.2, but still nothing works.

> I have seen the other machine briefly appear.  I had My Network Places
open
> in the Tregaskes workgroup in WindowsMe and while the WindowsXP machine
was
> booting into Windows I pressed Refresh and the other machine appeared -
> refreshing a moment later the computer had gone.

> Does anyone have any ideas?  All I want is for the WindowsXP to see the
> WindowsMe machine.  I don't think I will be able to access the WinXP
machine
> from WinMe as the XP hard drives are formatted to NTFS.

> Hope someone can help?

> Nic.

WinXP to WinMe network not working

Post by Nic Tregaske » Tue, 12 Mar 2002 07:50:30

When I try and connect to my WindowsXP machine from my WindowsMe machine it
comes up with "You cannot initiate a Remote Connection because Windows logon
software on the remote computer [in this case WindowsXP] has been replaced
by incompatible software PCIgina.dll".

What is PCIgina.dll?

Nic.

> Hello again,

> I've just tried using Remote Desktop to connect from the WindowsXP machine
> to the WindowsMe machine.  I've installed the Remote Desktop onto the Me
> machine, then entered the Me's IP address to connect.  At first ZoneAlarm
> blocked the connection, so I turned the security down, but it still says
> "The client could not connect to the remote computer..."

> Does this help?

> Nic.

> > Hello,

> > I have set-up 2 computers, one with WindowsXP and one with WindowsMe.
> Both
> > with the same fully working network cards.  The network cable is working
> > fine, I can ping both machines and get replies, but I can't see each
> machine
> > from My Network Places.

> > I've put them on a workgroup called Tregaskes, one computer named Nic,
the
> > other names Eve.  I've gone though the Network and Home Networking
wizards
> > on both machines.  I've checked they both have TCP/IP, File Sharing and
> > Microsoft Network.  I've set-up one machine to use the IP 192.168.0.1
and
> > the other to use 192.168.0.2, but still nothing works.

> > I have seen the other machine briefly appear.  I had My Network Places
> open
> > in the Tregaskes workgroup in WindowsMe and while the WindowsXP machine
> was
> > booting into Windows I pressed Refresh and the other machine appeared -
> > refreshing a moment later the computer had gone.

> > Does anyone have any ideas?  All I want is for the WindowsXP to see the
> > WindowsMe machine.  I don't think I will be able to access the WinXP
> machine
> > from WinMe as the XP hard drives are formatted to NTFS.

> > Hope someone can help?

> > Nic.

1. WinXP to WinMe network not working

[...]

2. Adding W2K machine to NT4 Domain

3. Battlecom does not work in a Network with WinMe and WinXP

4. scanner

5. WinXP & WinME running ICS, sometimes work but sometimes not work

6. Network, firewall and XP

7. Can WinXP Pro and WinME work together on a network?

8. Windows FAQ: How to get it

9. maped network drive not working with winxp prof firewall with winxp laptop

10. Toolbars works in WinME but not in WinXP?

11. WinME and WinXP networking problem - Use the XP CD or network setup disk to install qos packet scheduler on the WinME machine - worked for me .You may need netbui too.

12. win95-winXP network=net-not working? please help

13. Windows2K to WinXP LAN network with crossover cable does not work anymore