setting up an internet traffic counter

Post by Teodor Leont » Fri, 03 Jan 2003 15:11:38

Hi, everyone!

I own a tiny LAN that consists in two PS's: one runs WinXP Pro, the other
WinMe. The WinXP PC is connected to the internet by cable and has internet
connection sharing (ICS) enabled (for the second PC). I am considering
changing my internet connection subscription type to a cheaper one, that
offers a certain amount of traffic each month. In order to know which of the
subscriptions is the most economical for me, I need to know which is my
monthly internet traffic.

I see WinXP Pro has the possibility to track certain activities which go on
in the computer. I tried to set up a counter to measure the total traffic
through the NIC that connects to the internet cable, to no avail. I'm
totally lost at this point, so please tell me:

1. is it possible to use WinXP Pro internal resources to track my internet
traffic, or do I need another specialized program (if the latter, which
program would you recommend?)
2. if WinXP is able to track the traffic through a NIC, how should I set the
counter up, and how should I be able to read the results at the end of the
tracking time?

Any help is highly appreciated!

Thank you in advance,
Teo

setting up an internet traffic counter

Post by Mark L. Ferguso » Sat, 04 Jan 2003 01:12:41

Open Performance. (admin tools)
Double-click Performance Logs and Alerts, and then double-click Counter Logs.
Any existing logs will be listed in the details pane. A green icon indicates that a log is running; a red icon indicates that a log has been stopped.
Right-click a blank area of the details pane, and click New Log Settings.
In Name, type the name of the log, and then click OK.
On the General tab, click Add Objects and select the performance objects you want to add, or click Add Counters to select the individual counters you want to log.

--
Mark L. Ferguson   TabletPC MVP

All email without "QZ" in the subject line will be automatically deleted.
marfer's notes for XP  >  http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/xp_notes.htm
.

> Hi, everyone!

> I own a tiny LAN that consists in two PS's: one runs WinXP Pro, the other
> WinMe. The WinXP PC is connected to the internet by cable and has internet
> connection sharing (ICS) enabled (for the second PC). I am considering
> changing my internet connection subscription type to a cheaper one, that
> offers a certain amount of traffic each month. In order to know which of the
> subscriptions is the most economical for me, I need to know which is my
> monthly internet traffic.

> I see WinXP Pro has the possibility to track certain activities which go on
> in the computer. I tried to set up a counter to measure the total traffic
> through the NIC that connects to the internet cable, to no avail. I'm
> totally lost at this point, so please tell me:

> 1. is it possible to use WinXP Pro internal resources to track my internet
> traffic, or do I need another specialized program (if the latter, which
> program would you recommend?)
> 2. if WinXP is able to track the traffic through a NIC, how should I set the
> counter up, and how should I be able to read the results at the end of the
> tracking time?

> Any help is highly appreciated!

> Thank you in advance,
> Teo

1. setting up a network traffic counter

[...]

2. Discovery of "My Computer Info" in XP

3. Traffic counter over an Ethernet card

4. S-Video

5. Counter Stike random lock-ups

6. outlook express email disappear

7. Pop-ups, Pop-ups, Pop-ups EVERYWHERE .. arghhh

8. USB and Printers

9. Setting Primary and Secondary PC set-ups for e-mail

10. beta testers wanted: JEO-Counter Win32 JPEG counter CGI

11. HELP: setting up TCPIP traffic between 2 net cards in WIN95 PC

12. How to prevent MP7 from causing Internet traffic ?