XP Corrupted System File...SP1 the cause??

XP Corrupted System File...SP1 the cause??

Post by Mark » Wed, 22 Jan 2003 22:34:32

Hi All,

I am at my wits end.
I upgraded to SP1 about a month ago and have had nothing but headaches.
About every 6th or 7th boot I get the infamous:

Windows XP could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
\Windows\System32\Config\System

I have read where you must replce the Ntdetect.com and Ntldr file from the
original XP CD.
I did that to no avail

I have run the repair console procedure as listed on Doug Knox's webpage
only to have the computer do the same thing about 5-7 boots later.

It seems I never had this problem running Win XP with just the updates.
Is there something possibly in XP SP! causing this???
Is there something else I can try?? (I have reformatted/reinstalled from
scratch also with the same problem.)

I am going to just reformat/reinstall XP without the SP1.  I guess I will
just live with the updates but I would really like to go to SP1 if possible.
My system specs are below.

AMD XP1700+ on an MSI KT3 Ultra2
512MB PC2700 Ram
GF3 TI200
Audigy I Soundcard
Leadtek Winfast TV2000 XP TV Capture Card
Intel Pro Management Network Card
40GB Seagate ATA IV (FAT32, Boot drive plus 3 other partitioons)
80 GB Maxtor (NTFS, 1 partition)

thx
Mark

(replace "dot" with a .)

XP Corrupted System File...SP1 the cause??

Post by Mark » Thu, 23 Jan 2003 02:44:08

Anyone????

point me in a direction????

thx

> Hi All,

> I am at my wits end.
> I upgraded to SP1 about a month ago and have had nothing but headaches.
> About every 6th or 7th boot I get the infamous:

> Windows XP could not start because the following file is missing or
corrupt:
> \Windows\System32\Config\System

> I have read where you must replce the Ntdetect.com and Ntldr file from the
> original XP CD.
> I did that to no avail

> I have run the repair console procedure as listed on Doug Knox's webpage
> only to have the computer do the same thing about 5-7 boots later.

> It seems I never had this problem running Win XP with just the updates.
> Is there something possibly in XP SP! causing this???
> Is there something else I can try?? (I have reformatted/reinstalled from
> scratch also with the same problem.)

> I am going to just reformat/reinstall XP without the SP1.  I guess I will
> just live with the updates but I would really like to go to SP1 if
possible.
> My system specs are below.

> AMD XP1700+ on an MSI KT3 Ultra2
> 512MB PC2700 Ram
> GF3 TI200
> Audigy I Soundcard
> Leadtek Winfast TV2000 XP TV Capture Card
> Intel Pro Management Network Card
> 40GB Seagate ATA IV (FAT32, Boot drive plus 3 other partitioons)
> 80 GB Maxtor (NTFS, 1 partition)

> thx
> Mark

> (replace "dot" with a .)

XP Corrupted System File...SP1 the cause??

Post by greg » Thu, 23 Jan 2003 03:55:11

Quote:> Hi All,

> I am at my wits end.
> I upgraded to SP1 about a month ago and have had nothing but headaches.
> About every 6th or 7th boot I get the infamous:

You may well have NO XP problem mate and it is just coincidental. Get your
HD checked out. Sounds like it may be dying even though it is relatively
new.

--
Friar Tuck was always the *of Spoonerism Jokes from the Merry Men!

XP Corrupted System File...SP1 the cause??

Post by dev » Thu, 23 Jan 2003 06:41:51

Mark said:

Quote:

> I upgraded to SP1 about a month ago and have had nothing but headaches.
> About every 6th or 7th boot I get the infamous:

> Windows XP could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
> \Windows\System32\Config\System

> I have read where you must replce the Ntdetect.com and Ntldr file from the
> original XP CD.
> I did that to no avail

> I have run the repair console procedure as listed on Doug Knox's webpage
> only to have the computer do the same thing about 5-7 boots later.

> It seems I never had this problem running Win XP with just the updates.
> Is there something possibly in XP SP! causing this???
> Is there something else I can try?? (I have reformatted/reinstalled from
> scratch also with the same problem.)

> I am going to just reformat/reinstall XP without the SP1.  I guess I will
> just live with the updates but I would really like to go to SP1 if possible.
> My system specs are below.

> AMD XP1700+ on an MSI KT3 Ultra2
> 512MB PC2700 Ram
> GF3 TI200
> Audigy I Soundcard
> Leadtek Winfast TV2000 XP TV Capture Card
> Intel Pro Management Network Card
> 40GB Seagate ATA IV (FAT32, Boot drive plus 3 other partitioons)
> 80 GB Maxtor (NTFS, 1 partition)

Try a boot into Safe Mode, by hitting F8 just before the "Starting
Windows" screen would appear (takes a bit of practice).
Choose LAST GOOD.

If that does nothing, use a working PC to read these sites...

How to Recover from a Corrupted Registry
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;q307545
describes a three-step process to extract a copy of the registry
from the System Restore SVI folder.

http://WWW.WEBTREE.CA/windowsxp/  (repair console/restore tutorial)
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q314874
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_sys32.htm

After your system is restored, the ERUNT utility available here may
make it easier to fix the problem if it recurs...
http://HOME.T-ONLINE.DE/home/lars.hederer/erunt

If the problem persists, try swapping current RAM (even if it checks
good) for a single, high-quality 512Mb chip.  XP reportedly is sensitive
to memory timing.