NTLDR: Fatal Error 47872 reading BOOT.INI

NTLDR: Fatal Error 47872 reading BOOT.INI

Post by Joe De » Tue, 02 Jul 2002 03:21:02

My operating system is Windows XP Pro and my system won't
reboot without displaying the following message:"NTLDR:
Fatal Error 47872 reading BOOT.INI". I never took the time
to make a system boot disk. CAN ANYONE HELP ME?  Please...

NTLDR: Fatal Error 47872 reading BOOT.INI

Post by Maurice » Tue, 02 Jul 2002 03:49:15

If it is only the BOOT.INI file, you can use and reconstruct one like this.
As to the Boot.ini entries --- be exceedingly careful ---this is for IDE disks -- I have IDE --and it's also partition 1 where XP lives --on the first disk.
Following is a sample content of my Boot.ini   in between the dashed lines

-------------------------------
[boot loader]
timeout =15
default = multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS = "Windows XP Normal" /fastdetect /sos)
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS = "Windows XP SAFE Mode"  /safeboot:minimal)
-------------------------------

Notice I have "/SOS"  on my normal Windows XP to give "verbose" displays at startup.  You do not have to have that.
The last line if for getting (forcing of choice in startup list)  the Safe Mode of XP.

Make sure you are using a text editor to do this.  (Notepad is good.  or command-prompt Edit).  Boot.ini must be a text file.

Highly recommended:   Make a "safeguard / bootup diskette".
How to Use System Files to Create a Boot Disk to Guard Against Being Unable
to Start Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q314079

References for Recovery Console:
Description of the Windows XP Recovery Console - Article ID Q314058
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q314058

HOW TO: Install and Use the Recovery Console for Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/directory/article.asp?ID=KB;EN-US;q307654

DO install the Recovery Console as a boot choice because it's a great tool PLUS
(as added bonus) your bootup would show a choice for F8 key press !!
-
Maurice N
"Joe Dec"  wrote

Quote:> My operating system is Windows XP Pro and my system won't
> reboot without displaying the following message:"NTLDR:
> Fatal Error 47872 reading BOOT.INI". I never took the time
> to make a system boot disk. CAN ANYONE HELP ME?  Please...

NTLDR: Fatal Error 47872 reading BOOT.INI

Post by Ron Recto » Tue, 02 Jul 2002 04:21:07

Also, the bootcfg /rebuild function in recovery console
will fix this problem also.
Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>If it is only the BOOT.INI file, you can use and

reconstruct one like this.
Quote:>As to the Boot.ini entries --- be exceedingly careful ---

this is for IDE disks -- I have IDE --and it's also
partition 1 where XP lives --on the first disk.
Quote:>Following is a sample content of my Boot.ini   in

between the dashed lines
Quote:

>-------------------------------
>[boot loader]
>timeout =15
>default = multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
>[operating systems]
>multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS = "Windows

XP Normal" /fastdetect /sos)
Quote:>multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS = "Windows

XP SAFE Mode"  /safeboot:minimal)
Quote:>-------------------------------

>Notice I have "/SOS"  on my normal Windows XP to

give "verbose" displays at startup.  You do not have to
have that.
Quote:>The last line if for getting (forcing of choice in

startup list)  the Safe Mode of XP.
Quote:

>Make sure you are using a text editor to do this.

(Notepad is good.  or command-prompt Edit).  Boot.ini
must be a text file.
Quote:

>Highly recommended:   Make a "safeguard / bootup
diskette".
>How to Use System Files to Create a Boot Disk to Guard

Against Being Unable
Quote:>to Start Windows XP
>http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-
US;q314079

>References for Recovery Console:
>Description of the Windows XP Recovery Console - Article
ID Q314058
us;Q314058

>HOW TO: Install and Use the Recovery Console for Windows
XP
>http://support.microsoft.com/directory/article.asp?
ID=KB;EN-US;q307654

>DO install the Recovery Console as a boot choice because

it's a great tool PLUS

Quote:>(as added bonus) your bootup would show a choice for F8
key press !!
>-
>Maurice N
>"Joe Dec"  wrote
>> My operating system is Windows XP Pro and my system
won't
>> reboot without displaying the following
message:"NTLDR:
>> Fatal Error 47872 reading BOOT.INI". I never took the
time
>> to make a system boot disk. CAN ANYONE HELP ME?
Please...

1. Error message: NTLDR: Fatal Error 1 reading BOOT.ini

Hi,

Have you inserted any floppy disk inside the floppy drive during the start up/reboot?
If yes, eject the floppy disk and start the PC again.

Peter

     After renaming my computer name through the "My Computer" and being asked to re-boot I keep getting this message upon rebooting: "Error message: NTLDR: Fatal Error 1 reading BOOT.ini". I've tried booting from a floppy or CD ROM by selecting them in the BIOS as 1st & 2nd boot devices, but it never boots from them and it keeps giving me the same message. Any suggestions on what to try?

     This computer is a pentium II that was previously running Windows 98 and I upgraded to XP successfully and it had been working fine until I tried to change the computer name.

2. anybody with knowledge of windows 95?

3. NTLDR: Fatal Error 4096 Reading boot.ini

4. Toshiba question

5. NTLDR>EXE fatal error unable to boot pc?

6. error when trying to use a a newsreader

7. Can't find boot.ini... only boot.ini.backup

8. Bizarre problems downloading IE 6 SP1! Is it a curse?? Help Please!

9. Booting up Error 'Boot.ini'

10. Boot.ini - No "Read Attribute"

11. Boot.ini. error

12. Invaid BOOT.INI error message?