Uninstalling Windows Messenger

Post by Jonathan Kay [MVP » Mon, 03 Feb 2003 13:26:53

Greetings,

To fully uninstall Windows Messenger, close down
Messenger (right click the messenger icon in the notification area/system tray and click
close).  Then click the start button, then click Run and type in (copy-paste if you like):

RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\INF\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove

Then click OK. Messenger will then be uninstalled.  For more detailed instructions and
screenshots, go to,
http://messenger.jonathankay.com/problem.aspx?ID=7
Jonathan Kay
Windows MVP, Messenger
Associate Expert

Quote:> There are a bunch of things I don't like about Windows

Post by Mailma » Mon, 03 Feb 2003 13:22:58

There are a bunch of things I don't like about Windows
Messenger (and Microsoft), including no customer service
(without a fee) and the pop-up telling me to confirm my
email address by responding to a message that isn't in my
inbox, and not telling me how to get another one emailed
to me or how to discontinue Windows Messenger or how to
stop the pop-ups!

Would it be save for me to delete C:\Program
Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe? If not, what should I do?

Uninstalling Windows Messenger

Post by Barr » Mon, 03 Feb 2003 14:02:23

Thanks. I'll wait until tomorrow to see if that webpage is working before I
try it.

I like Celine Dion too.

1. - Uninstalling Windows Messenger after installing MSN Messenger...

How do you remove Windows Messenger (4.7) from your system after installing
MSN Messenger (5.0)?

I have both running... with the Windows Messenger being associated to
Outlook and OE, and I'm trying to just run on MSN Messenger now... it's a
pain in the buttinski.

Windows Messenger does not show up in add-remove programs (control panel)
nor does it come with an uninstaller.

Help?

2. XP home: Logon unread mail counter.

3. Uninstall Windows Messenger and Use MSN Messenger

4. sonicstage problems

5. Uninstall Windows Messenger & Use MSN Messenger

6. "Scan for updates" vs. Update Catalog

7. How to Uninstall Windows Messenger

8. Printing Internet Explorer screens

9. How to uninstall Windows Messenger?

10. Uninstalling Windows Messenger