"Remember my password" doesn't work!!!

Post by Swengt » Wed, 22 May 2002 12:08:49

Here is what I did (in exact order):
- Installed Windows XP Professional on a newly formatted drive (NTFS).
- Nothing else is installed!!! (only Windows XP)
- Created a limited user account
  (in addition to the account used to install the system).
- Logged on using the limited user account.
- Accessed a shared volume (Samba on a Linux, requires
  both userid and password, plain text password is enabled).
- While supplying the password, checked the "remember my password"
box.
- Gained access to the shared volume - works perfectly.
- Logged off.
- Logged on again, using the limited user account.
- Tried to access the same shared volume mentioned above.
- SURPRISINGLY, received the same prompt for userid and password
  AS IF I HAVE NEVER CHECKED the "remember my password" checkbox.
- If I type again the userid and password I gain the same perfect
access.

HOWEVER, Windows XP NEVER REMEMBERS my password. WHY???
I had not invoked Outlook Express or Internet Explorer even once!!!
No other application is installed on the system!!!

What can I do to make Windows XP (Professional) remember my password?
It is very annoying to have re-enter the shared volume password again
and again after log on.

Please Help!!!

Thank you so much in advance,
Swengtoo

"Remember my password" doesn't work!!!

Post by terri stratto » Wed, 22 May 2002 12:30:50

Your Password Is Not Retained in Windows 2000 or XP:
<http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;;q264672&ID=KB;;q26...>

--
Terri Stratton
Microsoft MVP -  Windows XP

Quote:> Here is what I did (in exact order):
> - Installed Windows XP Professional on a newly formatted drive (NTFS).
> - Nothing else is installed!!! (only Windows XP)
> - Created a limited user account
>   (in addition to the account used to install the system).
> - Logged on using the limited user account.
> - Accessed a shared volume (Samba on a Linux, requires
>   both userid and password, plain text password is enabled).
> - While supplying the password, checked the "remember my password"
> box.
> - Gained access to the shared volume - works perfectly.
> - Logged off.
> - Logged on again, using the limited user account.
> - Tried to access the same shared volume mentioned above.
> - SURPRISINGLY, received the same prompt for userid and password
>   AS IF I HAVE NEVER CHECKED the "remember my password" checkbox.
> - If I type again the userid and password I gain the same perfect
> access.

> HOWEVER, Windows XP NEVER REMEMBERS my password. WHY???
> I had not invoked Outlook Express or Internet Explorer even once!!!
> No other application is installed on the system!!!

> What can I do to make Windows XP (Professional) remember my password?
> It is very annoying to have re-enter the shared volume password again
> and again after log on.

> Please Help!!!

> Thank you so much in advance,
> Swengtoo

"Remember my password" doesn't work!!!

Post by Swengt » Wed, 22 May 2002 22:18:39

Terry, thanks for the pointer but the article you mention talks
specifically about OUTLOOK EXPRESS passwords. My problem is with
NETWORK SHARE passwords.

Any other idea?

Thanks a million!
Swengtoo

> Your Password Is Not Retained in Windows 2000 or XP:
> <http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;;q264672&ID=KB;;q26...>

"Remember my password" doesn't work!!!

Post by Formerly VirusXP Us » Thu, 23 May 2002 08:35:41

Do you really expect someone here to help you?
All what Microsoft MVPs do is recycle the same STANDARD answer over
and over again - No thinking allowed...

Upgrade to Linux. I admit: it's not as user friendly as Virus98/XP but
the support on newsgroups is so much better than what you get from
Microsoft MVPs. Also, in the long run, Linux proves to be so much more
of a time saver than any of Microsoft operating systems.

Regards,
Now A Linux Fan (Formerly a VirusXP user)

> Terry, thanks for the pointer but the article you mention talks
> specifically about OUTLOOK EXPRESS passwords. My problem is with
> NETWORK SHARE passwords.

> Any other idea?

> Thanks a million!
> Swengtoo

> > Your Password Is Not Retained in Windows 2000 or XP:
> > <http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;;q264672&ID=KB;;q26...>

1. ? "Remember Password" only works intermittently (a.k.a. RP doesn't work)

    Hi,

    I've got Remember Password checked in Outlook Express but a lot of the
time it doesn't seem to have any effect and I still get asked my password
anyway.  This happens with all the accounts, but it only happens now and
then.  There does not seem to be any sort of pattern to whether or not I get
asked.

    Why doesn't the Remember Password option work all the time?  Is there
time-out that, that is, does the option only work for a while then
automatically ask again?  If so, then it's timing out often quick sometimes.
Is there something that the mail server can do to force OE to ask?  I know
that it will ask regardless of the setting if the server says the password
is incorrect but it's not, the passwords are all correct.

    How can I get OE to save (remember) my passwords and quit bugging me
permanently?

    Thanks.

--
Alec S.

2. MSIE 3.01 intermit dl problem

3. "Remember each folder's view settings" doesn't work.

4. FS: Casio digital camera items

5. WMEncoder 9 "Beta" worked, "Release Candidate" doesn't

6. Stopping Outlook searching for hyperlinks?

7. WMEncoder 9 "Beta" Works, But "Release Candidate" Doesn't

8. can I upgrade and migrate?

9. document.open("text/html", "replace") doesn't work for frames !

10. "autocomplete" and "remember password"

11. "remember my password" option does not work

12. Why doesn't IE remember my "Text Size" selection?

13. "Remember my password" option does not work...