reinstalling Windows XP built-in CD Writer?

reinstalling Windows XP built-in CD Writer?

Post by rstanda » Sun, 28 Jul 2002 01:08:19

The built in Windows XP CD writing software on my computer
has stopped working. I am not sure why this happened as I
did not change anything on my computer. Is there someway
to reinstall just the CD writer without reinstalling all
of Windows?

Thanks!

Post by Gary Thorn [MVP-WinXP » Sun, 28 Jul 2002 02:08:42

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>The built in Windows XP CD writing software on my
computer
>has stopped working. I am not sure why this happened as I
>did not change anything on my computer. Is there someway
>to reinstall just the CD writer without reinstalling all
>of Windows?

>Thanks!
>.

To repair system files do the following:

1) Click Start>Run
2) type    sfc /scannow    then click OK
3) It will ask to place your WinXP CD in the drive

If the above does not work try a full WinXP repair:
1) Start WinXP setup from DOS (Win9x boot disk) or boot
from WinXP CD.
2) Setup will ask if you want to Install Windows or
Repair. SELECT INSTALL.
3) Setup should find your existing WinXP system(hopefully)
4) Select the WinXP system that was found and now select
Repair.

Setup will repair WinXP.

For more info look at this MS knowledgebase article:
us;Q312369

Also see this site for details in needed:

Hope this helps!

Gary Thorn
MVP-WinXP
Associate Expert

More info about the Windows XP Expert Zone:
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone

More info about the MS MVP Program:
http://support.microsoft.com/support/mvp/

1. How to Disable Win XP Built-In CD Writer/Wizard

Does anyone know how to disable the Windows XP built-in
CD writing application (wizard?). I find this built-in
feature not to my liking and use other CD burning
software programs. But, I want to make sure the wizard
does not try to run also which has happened to me before.
So does anyone know either a command sequence or a
selection window where this function can be disabled?

2. INFO: A guide to the Windows newsgroups [FAQ]

3. CD-Writer HP CD-Writer Plus 7100 external shreds CD's !

4. XP & EasyMTU

5. Unable to use Windows XP built-in CD/RW support

6. Reducing size of (Modeless) CPropertySheet Dialog ???

7. HP CD-Writer 8250i, Easy CD Creator3 on Windows XP RC 1

8. Converting Files

9. backing up windows xp+reinstalling windows xp+cd-r problems

10. XP does not detect cd writer; directCD does not detect a valid writer

11. CD Writer: Easy CD Creater / Direct CD 2.5 in Windows 2000

12. What is XP built-in CD Burning software?

13. Help - How do I turn Off XP's built-in CD-burning software?