XP Pro: using cable ISP Question

Post by Humanesqu » Mon, 18 Mar 2002 02:33:05

I upgraded to XP Pro two weeks ago. I use a cable modem to access the
Internet. I can be using the Interent at night, but in the morning when I
return, I have to reboot to use my cable service. With 98 SE I could just
leave it all all the time. Now, it seems that when I have a night of
inactivity, it loses its connection and I have to reboot. Never had that
problem with 98 SE.

Any ideas?

Post by Paul P » Mon, 18 Mar 2002 03:06:06

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>I upgraded to XP Pro two weeks ago. I use a cable modem
to access the
>Internet. I can be using the Interent at night, but in
the morning when I
>return, I have to reboot to use my cable service. With
98 SE I could just
>leave it all all the time. Now, it seems that when I
have a night of
>inactivity, it loses its connection and I have to

reboot. Never had that
Quote:>problem with 98 SE.

I had the same problem. One time my cable modem stopped
working all together... I had to turn off the system and
remove the power from the modem. This will reset the
modem I was told. Anyhow it seems to be working ever
since. This happend about 4 months ago.
Quote:

>.

XP Pro: using cable ISP Question

Post by Mark L. Ferguso » Mon, 18 Mar 2002 03:07:22

Try the pagefile fix ("Error on restart..") on the Windows Update site.

--

Mark L. Ferguson MS-MVP Expert Associate
marfer's notes for XP - http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/xp_notes.htm

..

> I upgraded to XP Pro two weeks ago. I use a cable modem to access the
> Internet. I can be using the Interent at night, but in the morning when I
> return, I have to reboot to use my cable service. With 98 SE I could just
> leave it all all the time. Now, it seems that when I have a night of
> inactivity, it loses its connection and I have to reboot. Never had that
> problem with 98 SE.

> Any ideas?

XP Pro: using cable ISP Question

Post by Mark » Mon, 18 Mar 2002 05:15:38

It could have to do with your computer going into standby
mode (sleep).  You could try disabling the power
management options.  And of course make sure that you
don't have any disconnect if idle options set to boot you
off the net automatically.

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>I upgraded to XP Pro two weeks ago. I use a cable modem
to access the
>Internet. I can be using the Interent at night, but in
the morning when I
>return, I have to reboot to use my cable service. With
98 SE I could just
>leave it all all the time. Now, it seems that when I
have a night of
>inactivity, it loses its connection and I have to

reboot. Never had that
Quote:>problem with 98 SE.

>Any ideas?

>.

XP Pro: using cable ISP Question

Post by Humanesqu » Mon, 18 Mar 2002 05:44:52

I think that may be it. Hibernation was enabled, so I unchecked it. I'll
find out tomorrow.

Quote:> It could have to do with your computer going into standby
> mode (sleep).  You could try disabling the power
> management options.  And of course make sure that you
> don't have any disconnect if idle options set to boot you
> off the net automatically.

Post by Tom Della-Latt » Mon, 18 Mar 2002 06:30:26

Also go into Device manager find your Network Adapter right click go to
Properties then Power Management make sure there is no tick mark in "allow
computer to turn off this device'

Tom

> I think that may be it. Hibernation was enabled, so I unchecked it. I'll
> find out tomorrow.

> > It could have to do with your computer going into standby
> > mode (sleep).  You could try disabling the power
> > management options.  And of course make sure that you
> > don't have any disconnect if idle options set to boot you
> > off the net automatically.

---

XP Pro: using cable ISP Question

Post by Humanesqu » Mon, 18 Mar 2002 06:34:20

Yes! It WAS checked.... that may be it also.
Thanks guys...I'm learning about this new system as I go.

> Also go into Device manager find your Network Adapter right click go to
> Properties then Power Management make sure there is no tick mark in "allow
> computer to turn off this device'

> Tom

> > I think that may be it. Hibernation was enabled, so I unchecked it. I'll
> > find out tomorrow.

> > > It could have to do with your computer going into standby
> > > mode (sleep).  You could try disabling the power
> > > management options.  And of course make sure that you
> > > don't have any disconnect if idle options set to boot you
> > > off the net automatically.

Post by David Stearn » Mon, 18 Mar 2002 08:23:59

Not sure of the answer but I get the same problem when my system goes into
standby or when I switch users. No matter what I do, I cannot get an IP
address.  I performed a ipconfig/release and ipconfig /renew. The PC looks
as though it has an ip address but I still cannot connect. The Ip address
after running ipconfig is of the 169. x.x.x variety.   The only way to
switch users and not lose connectivity is to reboot the system entirely.
This kind of defeats the purpose of having different users.  I'm going to
try this "Error on restart"  fix and I'll let you know how I made out.

David Stearns

Quote:> I upgraded to XP Pro two weeks ago. I use a cable modem to access the
> Internet. I can be using the Interent at night, but in the morning when I
> return, I have to reboot to use my cable service. With 98 SE I could just
> leave it all all the time. Now, it seems that when I have a night of
> inactivity, it loses its connection and I have to reboot. Never had that
> problem with 98 SE.

> Any ideas?

XP Pro: using cable ISP Question

Post by derf » Mon, 18 Mar 2002 14:49:08

Sounds like a DHCP problem.

Check your "event" log to see if there's a message mentioning a failure by
DHCP to renew the lease with your cable provider's server. That would cause
a loss of connection as well as your NIC getting reset to a 169.xxx type
number.

XP Pro: using cable ISP Question

Post by Humanesqu » Tue, 19 Mar 2002 23:32:13

Well, NONE of that worked. This morning there were connect errors, just as
before. Somehow, there is a shutdown in the connection process my cable
modem uses after it goes idle. Any other ideas?

Post by Humanesqu » Tue, 19 Mar 2002 23:39:55

Well, NONE of that worked. This morning there were connect errors, just as
before. Somehow, there is a shutdown in the connection process my cable
modem uses after it goes idle. Any other ideas?

Quote:> I upgraded to XP Pro two weeks ago. I use a cable modem to access the
> Internet. I can be using the Interent at night, but in the morning when I
> return, I have to reboot to use my cable service. With 98 SE I could just
> leave it all all the time. Now, it seems that when I have a night of
> inactivity, it loses its connection and I have to reboot. Never had that
> problem with 98 SE.

> Any ideas?

XP Pro: using cable ISP Question

Post by naddam » Wed, 20 Mar 2002 09:42:33

you could go to download.com and download a free program that will ping your
isp once in a while and keep it alive....maybe.

> Well, NONE of that worked. This morning there were connect errors, just as
> before. Somehow, there is a shutdown in the connection process my cable
> modem uses after it goes idle. Any other ideas?

> > I upgraded to XP Pro two weeks ago. I use a cable modem to access the
> > Internet. I can be using the Interent at night, but in the morning when
> > return, I have to reboot to use my cable service. With 98 SE I could
just
> > leave it all all the time. Now, it seems that when I have a night of
> > inactivity, it loses its connection and I have to reboot. Never had that
> > problem with 98 SE.

> > Any ideas?

---

1. XP Pro and Cable ISP

Just curious, I know there are many variables to consider but has anyone
noticed a decreased performance of general internet surfing after installing
XP Pro? I swear my speeds were noticably faster while running 98SE. I dont
like to run speed tests to often as I said there are many variables to
consider but any tests I do, do not come close to tests I ran while running
SE. I only use  www.2wire.com  for getting an idea as to what type of
bandwidth I am getting. Perhaps a few here running XP Pro can run the
bandwidth test from 2 wire and post your results?  Does anyone know of any
basic tweaks or hings to look for under XP that may be choking my bandwidth?
Thanks in advance.......

2. mci vs directx

3. Fax using a cable modem and windows XP pro

4. convert hex to decimal

5. Error 733 connecting 2 XP Pro Machines in VPN across internet using cable modems

6. CD Write Componet

7. lockup while surfing using cable modem - xp pro

8. Flashing the SA1110 dev board

9. Accessing My ISP's News Server Using Another ISP

10. ?conexion directa por cable en win 2000 Pro o XP Pro???

11. XP and ATT cable ISP

12. XP Remote Desktop connection via AT&T ISP and cable modems

13. Need ISP that uses Cold Fusion Pro