Windows XP Pro tp Windows XP Pro - VPN??

Windows XP Pro tp Windows XP Pro - VPN??

Post by David Baile » Tue, 29 Oct 2002 22:14:48

Microsoft Q article 257333 explains how two clients
running Windows 2000 Professional can connect over a VPN.
Does anyone know if this is possible with Windows XP
professional?

Thanks

David Bailey

Windows XP Pro tp Windows XP Pro - VPN??

Post by Bill Sanderso » Tue, 29 Oct 2002 23:14:56

Yes--and, without going back and reading the article, in approximately the
same way.

XP Pro is limited to a single incoming VPN connection.

Start, control panel, network connections.
create a new connection
incoming
skip the page showing modems or other devices
check off VPN on the next page
continue through the wizard.

An account used for this purpose must have a password in the default
condition.  I also recommend that you set properties of TCP/IP on the
incoming connection to give out IP's manually, rather than automatically,
setting up a range of 4 IP's appropriate to your network to be given out.

Client end should be just as in the article, I think.

Quote:> Microsoft Q article 257333 explains how two clients
> running Windows 2000 Professional can connect over a VPN.
> Does anyone know if this is possible with Windows XP
> professional?

> Thanks

> David Bailey

1. Timbuktu Pro, Windows XP Pro and Windows XP Home edition

I looked through the messages and couldn't find any previous dialog related
to my challenge. I've got a laptop with XP Professional that I use while I'm
travelling. I also have three Windows machines behind a Linksys BEFSR41
router in my home. One of the machines has XP Pro while the other 2 have XP
Home Edition. I have Netopia's Timbuktu Pro installed on all the machines. I
can use Remote Desktop to connect to the XP Pro machine behind the router
when I'm on the road (since the laptop has XP Pro), but I've not been able
to figure out how to connect to the XP Home Edition machines with Timbuktu
Pro (well, a more accurate statement is that I can connect to one of the
machines using Timbuktu Pro but cannot connect to the second without having
to reconfigure the router to forward port information to the IP address of
the second machine). The ideal configuration would allow me, while
travelling, to connect to any of the machines behind the router without
having to reconfigure the router. (Well, I guess as a worst case, I wouldn't
mind reconfiguring the router remotely if there's a way to do it...is
there?)

Hopefully, we're not rehashing old news and if anybody has any thoughts, I'd
love to hear them!

Thanks!

Bob

P.S. - I've tried to contact Netopia several times but I'll have arthritis
in my fingers by the time they get back to me and it won't matter by then!

2. Internet Explorer renaming files I want to download

3. XP PRO vs XP HOME --- XP PRO ING vs- XP PRO ESP

4. Dial-up connection

5. XP Pro to XP Pro over VPN

6. shutdown of xp

7. XP Pro and XP Pro VPN... connect both okay, but cannot see resources...

8. Unable to display some graphics

9. Windows 2000 DC, Sonicwall VPN and Windows XP Pro Client

10. IE 6.0 SP1 - Windows 2000 Pro and Window XP Pro

11. Can't dual boot Windows XP Pro and Windows 2000 Pro

12. Windows 2000 Pro vs Windows XP Pro

13. Multiboot Windows XP Pro and Windows 2000 Pro