Why my WinXP Pro SP2 won't show my total RAM of 4GB, only showed 3

Why my WinXP Pro SP2 won't show my total RAM of 4GB, only showed 3

Post by cteml » Tue, 20 Jun 2006 14:49:01

My WinXP Pro SP2 won't show my total RAM of 4GB, only showed 3GB.

How to fix it?

I have 4 x 1GB ram inserted, my bios showed 4pcs populated.

TQVM

Why my WinXP Pro SP2 won't show my total RAM of 4GB, only showed 3

Post by Kerry Brow » Tue, 20 Jun 2006 23:27:34

It is a combination of the way your motherboard is designed, the way Windows
manages memory, and the limitations of 32 bit computing. You will not get
Windows XP 32 bit to show 4 GB with almost all motherboards.

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=XP%204%20GB%20RAM&hl=en&lr=&sa=N&ta...

--
Kerry
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

> My WinXP Pro SP2 won't show my total RAM of 4GB, only showed 3GB.

> How to fix it?

> I have 4 x 1GB ram inserted, my bios showed 4pcs populated.

> If anyone has a solution to it, pls post here or email to

> TQVM

Why my WinXP Pro SP2 won't show my total RAM of 4GB, only showed 3

Post by Loren Pechte » Wed, 21 Jun 2006 05:24:59

On Sun, 18 Jun 2006 22:49:01 -0700, ctemlk

>My WinXP Pro SP2 won't show my total RAM of 4GB, only showed 3GB.

>How to fix it?

>I have 4 x 1GB ram inserted, my bios showed 4pcs populated.

No board will show the full 4gb under XP.  You'll need the 64-bit
version if you want the whole 4gb.

The problem is that things besides memory need addresses.  One big
culprit is the video.  However many megs on your video card is that
many megs out of your address space.

My laptop maxes out at 2.8 and it doesn't even have that nice a video
card in it.

1. 4GB RAM, only 3 show up in WinXP SP2

Hi all,

I've just installed a new system with Windows XP SP2.  I'm planning on using
this system as a VMWare host, so I need to get as much RAM into the system
as possible.

I purposely bought a system board that can take 4GB of RAM (and I checked to
make sure that WinXP will support 4GB as well).

The board is an Asus A8V Deluxe, with 4GB RAM, and an AMD Athalon 64 3500+
processor.  While POST finds all 4GB of RAM, when I open the "General Tab"
from System Properties, it shows the processor, 3.00GB of RAM, "Physical
Address Extension."  From within the "Performance" tab of  Task Manager, it
shows a total physical memory of 3144932KB.

The system board documentation mentions that if you don't remap reserved
memory (for on-board devices) above 4GB, you will have reduced RAM
available, but I did that in the BIOS.

I can't find anything through google or in the MS knowledgebase.  Any advice
would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Mark

2. Embed pictures in app

3. 4GB RAM shows up in WinXP as 3.5GB

4. FAT32 to NTFS

5. XP doesn't show total physical ram

6. OE removed access to unsafe attachments

7. Can I use 4GB of physical RAM with Windows XP Pro SP2

8. Folder Settings

9. 10GB HD only shows 4GB after installing XP SP2 upgrade

10. 4GB ram shows up 3GB!!!

11. Images won't show, have to use "Show Picture"

12. Why System's Control Pnl shows wrong RAM size?

13. KG7-R added more ram, doesn't show in winxp?