Uninstall Windows Messenger and Use MSN Messenger

Uninstall Windows Messenger and Use MSN Messenger

Post by Paul Nabe » Wed, 22 Jan 2003 16:14:20

Can anyone tell me how to stop Windows Messenger and Use
MSN Messenger 5.0, so that I don't have two instant
messengers on board.
Thanks,
Paul

Uninstall Windows Messenger and Use MSN Messenger

Post by Jonathan Kay [MVP » Wed, 22 Jan 2003 23:06:10

Greetings Paul,

You can fully uninstall Windows Messenger 4.7, but if you do, you will be preventing Remote
Assistance, Whiteboard, Application Sharing and any other applications that utilize Messenger
from working (or loading without problems).  You can just disable Windows Messenger 4.7, by
opening it up, click Tools, Options, Preferences tab and unchecking 'Run this program when
Windows starts'.  This won't stop it from being loaded by some other application though.  As
well, you can disable it further by going to Start, Control Panel, Add or Remove Programs,
Add/Remove Windows Components on the left, uncheck Windows Messenger in the components list
and click Next >.  This won't remove Windows Messenger, but it will let it stay out of your
way, and allow MSN Messenger 5 to work properly.

Also, see:
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=330117 for more detailed methods.
Jonathan Kay
Windows MVP, Messenger
Associate Expert

Quote:> Can anyone tell me how to stop Windows Messenger and Use

Quote:>-----Original Message-----

http://messenger.jonathankay.com/problem.aspx?ID=7