Defrag Runs Automatically?

Defrag Runs Automatically?

Post by Mark Elli » Sat, 08 Dec 2001 08:18:00



I've noticed on my XP Pro system that defrag seems to have taken on a mind
of its own and now runs sometimes in the backround when I am working.  Any
way to shut this off?  I prefer to run defrag on MY schedule!  ;)

And no, there is nothing in Scheduled Tasks that is starting this.  HELP!

 
 
 

Defrag Runs Automatically?

Post by David Cand » Sat, 08 Dec 2001 08:20:49


What about in someone else's scheduled tasks?

--
---------------------------------------------------------------
David Candy
www.mvps.org/serenitymacros
http://www.winsite.com/bin/Info?500000002364
---------------------------------------------------------------


> I've noticed on my XP Pro system that defrag seems to have taken on a mind
> of its own and now runs sometimes in the backround when I am working.  Any
> way to shut this off?  I prefer to run defrag on MY schedule!  ;)

> And no, there is nothing in Scheduled Tasks that is starting this.  HELP!


 
 
 

Defrag Runs Automatically?

Post by Sharo » Sat, 08 Dec 2001 08:35:59


XP does an automatic mini defrag in the background about every three days.
It won't defrag the whole drive and should finish quickly. I don't know of
any way to turn that off.
Sharon


Quote:> I've noticed on my XP Pro system that defrag seems to have taken on a mind
> of its own and now runs sometimes in the backround when I am working.  Any
> way to shut this off?  I prefer to run defrag on MY schedule!  ;)

> And no, there is nothing in Scheduled Tasks that is starting this.  HELP!

 
 
 

Defrag Runs Automatically?

Post by Mark Elli » Sat, 08 Dec 2001 08:51:20


Nope, I'm the only user setup.  Good thought though!

Mark


What about in someone else's scheduled tasks?

--
---------------------------------------------------------------
David Candy
www.mvps.org/serenitymacros
http://www.winsite.com/bin/Info?500000002364
---------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:> I've noticed on my XP Pro system that defrag seems to have taken on a mind
> of its own and now runs sometimes in the backround when I am working.  Any
> way to shut this off?  I prefer to run defrag on MY schedule!  ;)

> And no, there is nothing in Scheduled Tasks that is starting this.  HELP!

 
 
 

Defrag Runs Automatically?

Post by Mark Elli » Sat, 08 Dec 2001 08:51:56


That must be it.  I hate it when MS tries to "think" for me.  Grrrr.

Mark


> XP does an automatic mini defrag in the background about every three days.
> It won't defrag the whole drive and should finish quickly. I don't know of
> any way to turn that off.
> Sharon



> > I've noticed on my XP Pro system that defrag seems to have taken on a
mind
> > of its own and now runs sometimes in the backround when I am working.
Any
> > way to shut this off?  I prefer to run defrag on MY schedule!  ;)

> > And no, there is nothing in Scheduled Tasks that is starting this.
HELP!

 
 
 

Defrag Runs Automatically?

Post by David Cand » Sat, 08 Dec 2001 09:27:03


I don't think it is that. Here it lasts 3 to 60 seconds and runs only when idle. It doesn't fit.

Try doing a dir of the folder (adjust the path to suit). There may be hidden tasks such as updating web pages. (Scheduled Tasks are .job files when viewed in a command prompt.)

dir /a c:\windows\tasks

--
---------------------------------------------------------------
David Candy
www.mvps.org/serenitymacros
http://www.winsite.com/bin/Info?500000002364
---------------------------------------------------------------


> That must be it.  I hate it when MS tries to "think" for me.  Grrrr.

> Mark



> > XP does an automatic mini defrag in the background about every three days.
> > It won't defrag the whole drive and should finish quickly. I don't know of
> > any way to turn that off.
> > Sharon



> > > I've noticed on my XP Pro system that defrag seems to have taken on a
> mind
> > > of its own and now runs sometimes in the backround when I am working.
> Any
> > > way to shut this off?  I prefer to run defrag on MY schedule!  ;)

> > > And no, there is nothing in Scheduled Tasks that is starting this.
> HELP!

 
 
 

Defrag Runs Automatically?

Post by Kent W. England [MVP » Sun, 09 Dec 2001 02:56:18


Is there a log file event or some other way to know if this mini-defrag
is happening? I've never noticed it on my systems.

--
Kent W. England, MS MVP for WinXP Networking



I don't think it is that. Here it lasts 3 to 60 seconds and runs only
when idle. It doesn't fit.

 
 
 

Defrag Runs Automatically?

Post by Sharo » Sun, 09 Dec 2001 09:12:08


Hi, Kent.
I've never seen it mentioned in a log or in XP help. It is discussed in an
article I read on the XP pages of the MS site. I'm pretty sure that it was
the one that discusses how MS worked on adding performance to this new
Windows. Article included details about layout.inf, the compressed dllcache
folder and how XP self tunes itself to your usage patterns. Greg from Raxco
has made reference to the mini defrag event here in the groups too so I know
it exists. Just don't have urls to any exact information. Sorry.
Sharon



> Is there a log file event or some other way to know if this mini-defrag
> is happening? I've never noticed it on my systems.

> --
> Kent W. England, MS MVP for WinXP Networking



> I don't think it is that. Here it lasts 3 to 60 seconds and runs only
> when idle. It doesn't fit.

 
 
 

Defrag Runs Automatically?

Post by David Cand » Mon, 10 Dec 2001 20:49:10


www.microsoft.com/hwdev and look up bootvis. Also there was a technical paper on improvements in XP.

defrag /b will run it manually.

Also so will this command line from the MSDN

Idle Task Scheduling: The ProcessIdleTask API

The file placement optimization, which is done no more often than once every three days, is an example of a task that is carried out when the system is deemed to be idle. System Restore and other features of Windows XP also attempt to defer some work until the system is deemed to be idle. There are also some done-once-after-setup work items that also operate under the Idle Task Scheduling mechanisms.

All of these "idle tasks" are controllable by a system API in advapi32.dll, ProcessIdleTasks. The APIs sole purpose is to allow benchmarks a simple way to force any pending idle tasks to be executed immediately, without having to wait a lengthy period of time.

The API ProcessIdleTasks can be called in one of two ways, from the command line or synchronously from a program.  To call ProcessIdleTasks from the command line, use this syntax:

Rundll32.exe advapi32.dll,ProcessIdleTasks
When called from the command line, the ProcessIdleTasks work is done in the background asynchronously. It can take 10 to 15 minutes for idle tasks to complete. Task Manager will report processes running, and the disk will likely be active during this time.

The ProcessIdleTasks API takes no arguments and returns a standard Win32 error code. The definition is:

DWORD
ProcessIdleTasks()

The API itself is synchronous, so it wont return until the idle tasks have completed.

--
---------------------------------------------------------------
David Candy
www.mvps.org/serenitymacros
http://www.winsite.com/bin/Info?500000002364
---------------------------------------------------------------


> Hi, Kent.
> I've never seen it mentioned in a log or in XP help. It is discussed in an
> article I read on the XP pages of the MS site. I'm pretty sure that it was
> the one that discusses how MS worked on adding performance to this new
> Windows. Article included details about layout.inf, the compressed dllcache
> folder and how XP self tunes itself to your usage patterns. Greg from Raxco
> has made reference to the mini defrag event here in the groups too so I know
> it exists. Just don't have urls to any exact information. Sorry.
> Sharon



> > Is there a log file event or some other way to know if this mini-defrag
> > is happening? I've never noticed it on my systems.

> > --
> > Kent W. England, MS MVP for WinXP Networking



> > I don't think it is that. Here it lasts 3 to 60 seconds and runs only
> > when idle. It doesn't fit.

 
 
 

Defrag Runs Automatically?

Post by Sharo » Tue, 11 Dec 2001 16:39:12


Thanks for posting these references, David. Have them saved this time
around.
Sharon


www.microsoft.com/hwdev and look up bootvis. Also there was a technical
paper on improvements in XP.

defrag /b will run it manually.

Also so will this command line from the MSDN

Idle Task Scheduling: The ProcessIdleTask API

The file placement optimization, which is done no more often than once every
three days, is an example of a task that is carried out when the system is
deemed to be idle. System Restore and other features of Windows XP also
attempt to defer some work until the system is deemed to be idle. There are
also some done-once-after-setup work items that also operate under the Idle
Task Scheduling mechanisms.

All of these "idle tasks" are controllable by a system API in advapi32.dll,
ProcessIdleTasks. The APIs sole purpose is to allow benchmarks a simple way
to force any pending idle tasks to be executed immediately, without having
to wait a lengthy period of time.

The API ProcessIdleTasks can be called in one of two ways, from the command
line or synchronously from a program.  To call ProcessIdleTasks from the
command line, use this syntax:

Rundll32.exe advapi32.dll,ProcessIdleTasks
When called from the command line, the ProcessIdleTasks work is done in the
background asynchronously. It can take 10 to 15 minutes for idle tasks to
complete. Task Manager will report processes running, and the disk will
likely be active during this time.

The ProcessIdleTasks API takes no arguments and returns a standard Win32
error code. The definition is:

DWORD
ProcessIdleTasks()

The API itself is synchronous, so it wont return until the idle tasks have
completed.

--
---------------------------------------------------------------
David Candy
www.mvps.org/serenitymacros
http://www.winsite.com/bin/Info?500000002364
---------------------------------------------------------------

> Hi, Kent.
> I've never seen it mentioned in a log or in XP help. It is discussed in an
> article I read on the XP pages of the MS site. I'm pretty sure that it was
> the one that discusses how MS worked on adding performance to this new
> Windows. Article included details about layout.inf, the compressed
dllcache
> folder and how XP self tunes itself to your usage patterns. Greg from
Raxco
> has made reference to the mini defrag event here in the groups too so I
know
> it exists. Just don't have urls to any exact information. Sorry.
> Sharon



> > Is there a log file event or some other way to know if this mini-defrag
> > is happening? I've never noticed it on my systems.

> > --
> > Kent W. England, MS MVP for WinXP Networking



> > I don't think it is that. Here it lasts 3 to 60 seconds and runs only
> > when idle. It doesn't fit.

 
 
 

1. Defrag Defrag Defrag Defrag Defrag Defrag Defrag Defrag Defrag Defrag Defrag Defrag Defrag Defrag Defrag Defrag

OK, For some time I've watched defrag.  

It doesn't matter if what version or whether you check the
"so programs will launch faster."  It always starts at the top
and labours through from the beginning of the drive to the
end of the drive.  That's defrag.

Why can't defrag place the EXE's and DLL's and other NEVER
modified files right at the beginning.  They would be placed
there on first defrag and never have to shuffle them a thousand
times because an INI file was changed.  The whole process
seems stupid at present.

Is there a third party DEFRAG that can sort by filetype?

Does this make sense or am I missing something?
All pros and cons WELCOME.

2. lost folder list in explorer

3. setting up defrag to run automatically

4. CD-ROMs and CD's will not play.

5. automatically running defrag?

6. Screen Area Adjustment Problem

7. running defrag automatically

8. Large hard drives

9. automatically defrag

10. Search Engine Delays after running a defrag

11. Running Defrag Prog

12. Task scheduler to run defrag?

13. Disk Cleanup and Disk Defrag either won't run or they freeze