XP and client access licences (CAL)

Post by Bert Smit » Wed, 15 Jan 2003 09:52:49

Hi all,

Windows 2000 Pro comes with a CAL for Windows 2000 Terminal Services.  Is
this also the case with XP Professional or will it use one of the licences
available from the 2000 sever?
Thanks in advance.  Please address any replies to the news group. My email
address is false.

Bert Smith

XP and client access licences (CAL)

Post by Anne Ouelle » Wed, 15 Jan 2003 11:18:13

I am almost positive you do not need to obtain a CAL for windows 2000 or XP
clients to connect to a Terminal Server  see the following from Microsoft KB
Q 244749          :

Windows 2000 Professional or Microsoft Windows XP Professional License: This
license permits the installation of Windows 2000 Professional or Windows XP
Professional, in addition to providing the legal right to access Terminal
Services on a Windows 2000-based server. A computer that is running a
licensed copy of Windows 2000 Professional or Windows XP Professional does
not require a Terminal Services Client Access License.

Anne Ouellet
http://www.MyComputerGuru.NET
24x7 Fast and Friendly Computer Technical Support
We Help People Use Technology Smarter!
1-866-2MY-GURU (269-4878)

Quote:> Hi all,

> Windows 2000 Pro comes with a CAL for Windows 2000 Terminal Services.  Is
> this also the case with XP Professional or will it use one of the licences
> available from the 2000 sever?
> Thanks in advance.  Please address any replies to the news group. My email
> address is false.

> Bert Smith

XP and client access licences (CAL)

My sincere thanks for your reply.  It is greatly appreciated.