Registry question, how to clean old program references?

Registry question, how to clean old program references?

Post by PowerUse » Mon, 10 Jun 2002 01:41:58

I just uninstalled a program but when I checked in explorer the empty folder
was still there so I deleted it. I want to know how do I go into the
registry and search for and delete any references to that application
safely?

!PowerUser!

Registry question, how to clean old program references?

Post by David L. Deguzma » Mon, 10 Jun 2002 01:49:47

You need a program like regcleaner,
http://www.jv16.org/

--
David L. Deguzman

Quote:> I just uninstalled a program but when I checked in explorer the empty
folder
> was still there so I deleted it. I want to know how do I go into the
> registry and search for and delete any references to that application
> safely?

> !PowerUser!

Registry question, how to clean old program references?

Post by PowerUse » Mon, 10 Jun 2002 01:50:20

Delete the whole folder or just the keys/values inside of it?

> Hi,

> Remember the company that created that program? Edit > find. Type the
> company name, and click Find. Delete.

> You might also want to try RegCleaner from
> http://www.vtoy.fi/jv16/shtml/regcleaner.shtml

> > I just uninstalled a program but when I checked in explorer the empty
> folder
> > was still there so I deleted it. I want to know how do I go into the
> > registry and search for and delete any references to that application
> > safely?

> > !PowerUser!

Registry question, how to clean old program references?

It depends. Sometimes whole folder, sometimes just the key.

Post by Jabez Ga » Mon, 10 Jun 2002 01:47:24

Hi,

Remember the company that created that program? Edit > find. Type the
company name, and click Find. Delete.

You might also want to try RegCleaner from
http://www.vtoy.fi/jv16/shtml/regcleaner.shtml

Quote:> I just uninstalled a program but when I checked in explorer the empty
folder
> was still there so I deleted it. I want to know how do I go into the
> registry and search for and delete any references to that application
> safely?

> !PowerUser!

Registry question, how to clean old program references?

Post by Emin Denislea » Mon, 10 Jun 2002 02:21:25

Try this verry powerfool tool here
ftp://ftp.iolohost.com/system_mechanic.exe

Quote:> I just uninstalled a program but when I checked in explorer the empty
folder
> was still there so I deleted it. I want to know how do I go into the
> registry and search for and delete any references to that application
> safely?

> !PowerUser!

Registry question, how to clean old program references?

Post by PowerUse » Mon, 10 Jun 2002 03:04:39

I'd rather not download any external s/w, I'd like to try and do it
manually.

> Try this verry powerfool tool here
> ftp://ftp.iolohost.com/system_mechanic.exe

> > I just uninstalled a program but when I checked in explorer the empty
> folder
> > was still there so I deleted it. I want to know how do I go into the
> > registry and search for and delete any references to that application
> > safely?

> > !PowerUser!

Registry question, how to clean old program references?

Post by d.. » Mon, 10 Jun 2002 04:40:19

On Sat, 8 Jun 2002 14:04:39 -0400, "PowerUser"

>I'd rather not download any external s/w, I'd like to try and do it
>manually.

>> Try this verry powerfool tool here
>> ftp://ftp.iolohost.com/system_mechanic.exe

>> > I just uninstalled a program but when I checked in explorer the empty
>> folder
>> > was still there so I deleted it. I want to know how do I go into the
>> > registry and search for and delete any references to that application
>> > safely?

>> > !PowerUser!

>> >Reg Cleaner works great and is very easy to use.

Click on tools and then Registry cleaner and click on do them all.
I have been using that great piece of software for a year without any
problems.

Registry question, how to clean old program references?

Post by John Butle » Mon, 10 Jun 2002 05:09:14

See my post subject "Re: Restarting in Dos" on 08\06\2002 at 11:58 BST

--
John Butler

In the case of News Groups, please reply to the News Group
not to me.

Quote:> I just uninstalled a program but when I checked in explorer the empty
folder
> was still there so I deleted it. I want to know how do I go into the
> registry and search for and delete any references to that application
> safely?

> !PowerUser!

Registry question, how to clean old program references?

Post by PowerUse » Mon, 10 Jun 2002 05:20:45

Can't find it.

  See my post subject "Re: Restarting in Dos" on 08\06\2002 at 11:58 BST

  --
  John Butler

  In the case of News Groups, please reply to the News Group
  not to me.

  > I just uninstalled a program but when I checked in explorer the empty
  folder
  > was still there so I deleted it. I want to know how do I go into the
  > registry and search for and delete any references to that application
  > safely?
  >
  > !PowerUser!

Registry question, how to clean old program references?

Post by Bill Rubi » Mon, 10 Jun 2002 14:54:39

If you are truly a power user, as your userid says, then you
should know how to do this already. If you're not a power user,
then you would be foolish to manually edit your registry if you
don't know what you're doing, when there are tools you can use
that will do it for you. If you delete the wrong stuff from your
registry, you can mess up your system pretty badly. But you
already knew that.

Bill

> I'd rather not download any external s/w, I'd like to try and do it
> manually.

> > Try this verry powerfool tool here
> > ftp://ftp.iolohost.com/system_mechanic.exe

> > > I just uninstalled a program but when I checked in explorer the empty
> > folder
> > > was still there so I deleted it. I want to know how do I go into the
> > > registry and search for and delete any references to that application
> > > safely?

> > > !PowerUser!

Registry question, how to clean old program references?

Post by PowerUse » Mon, 10 Jun 2002 22:45:57

 Thanks, that was very helpful. I edit my registry all the time FYI. I always ask and seek advice before I do just to be sure and also to find out if there is an easier way.
!PowerUser!

  If you are truly a power user, as your userid says, then you
  should know how to do this already. If you're not a power user,
  then you would be foolish to manually edit your registry if you
  don't know what you're doing, when there are tools you can use
  that will do it for you. If you delete the wrong stuff from your
  registry, you can mess up your system pretty badly. But you
  already knew that.

  Bill

  > I'd rather not download any external s/w, I'd like to try and do it
  > manually.
  >

  > > Try this verry powerfool tool here
  > > ftp://ftp.iolohost.com/system_mechanic.exe
  > >

  > > > I just uninstalled a program but when I checked in explorer the empty
  > > folder
  > > > was still there so I deleted it. I want to know how do I go into the
  > > > registry and search for and delete any references to that application
  > > > safely?
  > > >
  > > > !PowerUser!

Registry question, how to clean old program references?

Post by John Butle » Mon, 10 Jun 2002 23:46:15

Hi Power User
Be sure to save a copy of your Registry before you start as
the process is tricky if the name of the application is not shown.
  1.. Start Registry Editor (Regedit.exe).
  2.. Locate the following key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall
  3.. Locate the key to be deleted by locating the key name created by the
program. If the name of the key is not apparent, browse through each key and
note the value for DisplayName . This is the viewable string in the
Add/Remove Programs tool.
  Using the Registry menu, export the selected registry key to make a
backup. Store the .reg file in a safe location in case you need to import it
at a later date.
  Delete the selected registry key and its values. Do not delete the entire
Uninstall key.
  4.. Quit Registry Editor.
  5.. Verify that the reference in the Add/Remove Programs tool is no longer
visible

--
John Butler

In the case of News Groups, please reply to the News Group
not to me.

Quote:> I just uninstalled a program but when I checked in explorer the empty
folder
> was still there so I deleted it. I want to know how do I go into the
> registry and search for and delete any references to that application
> safely?

> !PowerUser!

1. Cleaning Out Old Program References ?

I was wondering if there is a way to eliminate references to old
programs in NT 4.0.  They show up in a few situations:

1.  In Add/Remove Programs under control panel my system still shows
that a program is installed when I have actually deleted it. (eg:
WinEdit stills shows up even though I removed it long ago.)  It looks
like the few I deleted without using the uninstall option.

2.  When I right click a file in Explorer and then Open With.... I get
a list of programs that are available for opening.  Once again, there
are references in the list to programs I no longer have installed.
(eg: Winedit again, Netscape & Netscape Gold...etc)

I ran CleanSweep v3.01's registry clean and it eliminated a lot of
crap, but it didn't fix this problem.

I tried browsing around the registry for where this information might
be stored but had no luck.

Does anyone have any idea where NT keeps this list of information.
From the symptoms I've seen, the information seems to be coming from
one source since the same programs are offending in both situations 1
& 2.

Greatly Appreciate Your Help !!!

2. Most comprehensive collection of background graphics available

3. Cleaning Registry of references to Corel Suite 7

4. Hardware Conflict

5. Cleaning up IE, old program stuff

6. Anybody using XP Fax successfully?

7. cleaned up registry using a registry cleaner and ........

8. no_more_irp_stack_locations bsod on boot

9. no programs registered- can I import old registry from 98

10. How can I install old programs(I mean really old) on Win XP pro?

11. Old programs and Old desktop Icons

12. Program problems and registry question

13. Can't get rid of old scanner reference.