IIS: FTP access to web files

Post by CDD » Fri, 16 May 2003 15:40:15

I am new to IIS but have searched iisfaq.com and the microsoft site
for information and have found no answers to the following question:

----------
Is there a way to configure a Basic FTP account in IIS so that one can
remotely log into the box and edit *web* files directly that are being
served by the same box?
---------

I have a client who will be hosting a website on their in-house
machine. The machine is running IIS and both HTTP and FTP servers have
been set up, but they appear to be running parallel to each other with
no direct access possible to the web files from an FTP account. I
would like to work from my home computer and log into the client's
machine via FTP and edit the web files directly over the FTP
connection.

It seems WebDav might be a solution, but I don't think I can use that
because I'm on a Mac. I use BBEdit (a great text editor) to edit live
web files for other clients whose files are hosted by ISPs. I can log
in via FTP and open files into BBEdit, make changes, and save the
files back to the ISP over the FTP connection. Can I do this with IIS?
Is this too much of a security risk?

Please respond via email as well as to the newsgroup.

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can provide.

CDD

IIS: FTP access to web files

Post by » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 02:00:00

IIS: FTP access to web files

Post by Dan J.S » Fri, 16 May 2003 16:01:09

> I am new to IIS but have searched iisfaq.com and the microsoft site
> for information and have found no answers to the following question:

> ----------
> Is there a way to configure a Basic FTP account in IIS so that one can
> remotely log into the box and edit *web* files directly that are being
> served by the same box?
> ---------

> I have a client who will be hosting a website on their in-house
> machine. The machine is running IIS and both HTTP and FTP servers have
> been set up, but they appear to be running parallel to each other with
> no direct access possible to the web files from an FTP account. I
> would like to work from my home computer and log into the client's
> machine via FTP and edit the web files directly over the FTP
> connection.

> It seems WebDav might be a solution, but I don't think I can use that
> because I'm on a Mac. I use BBEdit (a great text editor) to edit live
> web files for other clients whose files are hosted by ISPs. I can log
> in via FTP and open files into BBEdit, make changes, and save the
> files back to the ISP over the FTP connection. Can I do this with IIS?
> Is this too much of a security risk?

> Please respond via email as well as to the newsgroup.

> Thanks in advance for any help anyone can provide.

> CDD

It's easy. Just map a virtual folder under FTP to point to the web files.

Dan

1. Q: File Access Problem From FTP or Web To NT Server

I'd greatly appreciate any insight anyone could provide on this
stickler.

I'm running IIS on Windows NT. I am using an administration account. The
problem is that in FTP for example, I am getting an access denied
message when I try to upload a file to the FTP directory on the NT. I
think the problem is not an FTP problem because using a web browser, I
similarly can't gain access to password protected pages.

The problem, I am guessing, is somewhere in my NT configuration that
doesn't allow network access to full account privileges.

Thanks in advance,
Norm

2. No sound from wmp9

3. NT 4 PROBLEMS SOLVED: IIS & Website Web Servers, FTP & Blue Screen Crashes

4. Anyone running WFW,TRUMPET and NOVELL concurrently??

5. IIS Limited access to ftp

6. IIS FP default web site

7. Weird FTP error with IIS "access denied"

8. Problems with SlipKnot v1.5.0

9. Control FTP Access under NT4.0 & IIS

10. Varying FTP Access with IIS and IE

11. IIS 4 Beta 3 FTP and HTTP ACCESS CONTROL PROBLEMS

12. FTP access problems with IIS

13. NT/IIS:How to setup User Accounts to access via FTP?