ToolTips - Wrong Displays

Post by Stuart Danto » Mon, 17 Feb 2003 18:45:35

I have 4 PCs on which I run XP.  On 2 of these, 1 with XP
Home and the other with XP Professional I get this
irritating problem.  If I hover over any desktop or Task
bar icon, the ToolTips get confused.  The first is OK
then when I move to the next the first message is
displayed again over the black space corresponding to the
correct message.

Has anyone any idea what might be going on?

ToolTips - Wrong Displays

Post by Darklin » Tue, 18 Feb 2003 02:01:29

> I have 4 PCs on which I run XP.  On 2 of these, 1 with XP
> Home and the other with XP Professional I get this
> irritating problem.  If I hover over any desktop or Task
> bar icon, the ToolTips get confused.  The first is OK
> then when I move to the next the first message is
> displayed again over the black space corresponding to the
> correct message.

> Has anyone any idea what might be going on?

I don't know what the problem is, you may need to update your video
drivers -  that's usually the first place to start with any video-related
problem -  but you could try changing a couple of the performance settings
in System Properties to see if that helps.  Go to Start\My Computer, Right
Click and select Properties.  In System Properties, click the Advanced tab
then the top "Settings" button under Performance.  On the Visual Effects Tab
try unchecking some of the Tooltips or Shadow options, such as "Show shadows
under mouse pointer" or "Use drop shadows for icon labels on the desktop".
Just try one at a time to see if any one may fix the problem.  I saw a post
a while back that someone fixed a problem with tooltips coming up behind the
taskbar by turning off one of the shadow options.

Darkling

1. Wrong tooltips displayed... help.

OK, this is driving me nuts. Tooltips work fine for a while then suddenly
they fall one item behind but the display area doesn't.  For example, I
mouseover an item (no tooltip), then I mouseover a new icon and I get the
black area for that tooltip but the actual tooltip is for the previous item.
From that point the screen area for the tooltip is correct but the data is
one tip behind.  Then after an hour or so the tooltips become correct for a
while then go bad again.  ARRRGGGHHH.

It happens on the toolbar, desktop, Explorer, IE, and OE.  I've run SFC,
reinstalled video drivers, etc.   Does anyone have a suggestion?

A sample can be seen here:

http://members.shaw.ca/sideshowbob/tooltip.jpg

Bob.

2. For Auction: Brand New HP h5455 Pocket PC. WLAN, BlueTooth, IR, Biometric Security...

3. Wrong display, wrong background

4. AfxBeginThread + worker threads.

5. Wrong tooltips in Explorer

6. local policy of this system does not permit you to login interactivly

7. DEBUG:Tooltips= YES REL:Tooltips?NO!

8. ATI mach32 and NT4.0 ??

9. Tooltip display problems

10. any way to speed up tooltip display???

11. Tooltips 'displaying behind taskbar' bug still in SP1

12. Speeding up the Tooltip display time

13. MFC: How to display tooltips for Toolbar?