How do you run scan disk through comand prompt

How do you run scan disk through comand prompt

Post by Tony » Wed, 04 Sep 2002 02:44:42

I am having trouble with my computer but can't run
scandisk through command prompt.  HOw do you do it.
Thanks

How do you run scan disk through comand prompt

Post by John Barnett - MV » Wed, 04 Sep 2002 03:06:40

On XP you use CHKDSK not scan disk. At the command prompt
type chkdsk. Alternatively you can go to My Computer
right click on your drive, select properties and choose
Tools followed by Error Checking. you may find that an
error message occurs in both the control Panel option and
the Command prompt. The error message will indicate that
the disk cannot be scanned because it is in use. if this
is the case simply select Schedule Scan. the next time
you boot your pc the hard drive will automatically be
scanned. To read about other chkdsk parameters type help
chkdsk at the command prompt.

Hope this helps

John Barnett - MS MVP
Associate Expert