"My Computer" hangs for three minutes before opening

"My Computer" hangs for three minutes before opening

Post by Nigel Tow » Thu, 27 Mar 2003 07:21:17

I have a very fast PC - Dell 8200, PIV 2.2GHz, 512Mb, etc,etc,,,, onto which
I have just installed XP Pro - everything works just great, execp when I try
to see any image of the machine throgh any of the various "My Computer"
routes, such as on the desktop, in explorer, or any search menu - when I do
the system stops for about three minutes before displaying the contents, at
which point all is fine.

The system is connected occasionally to a lap-top through an RJ45 cross-over
cable - but I have attempted to delete ant network links, and a mapped
drive, just in case it is netwrok related.  This has made no difference.  It
is really bugging me now... h e l p

TIA

Nigel

"My Computer" hangs for three minutes before opening

Post by Rick » Thu, 27 Mar 2003 11:24:27

Hi Nigel,

Start/run msconfig, on the services tab disable the Windows Image Acquisition, click ok/apply and reboot. See if that helps. The service is only needed to monitor for a scanner button or camera, not necessary for normal operation.

--
Best of Luck,

Rick Rogers aka "Nutcase" MS-MVP - Win9x - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Associate Expert - WinXP - Expert Zone - www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Win98 Help - www.rickrogers.org

> I have a very fast PC - Dell 8200, PIV 2.2GHz, 512Mb, etc,etc,,,, onto which
> I have just installed XP Pro - everything works just great, execp when I try
> to see any image of the machine throgh any of the various "My Computer"
> routes, such as on the desktop, in explorer, or any search menu - when I do
> the system stops for about three minutes before displaying the contents, at
> which point all is fine.

> The system is connected occasionally to a lap-top through an RJ45 cross-over
> cable - but I have attempted to delete ant network links, and a mapped
> drive, just in case it is netwrok related.  This has made no difference.  It
> is really bugging me now... h e l p

> TIA

> Nigel

"My Computer" hangs for three minutes before opening

Post by Nigel Tow » Sun, 30 Mar 2003 14:41:36

Hi - thanks that has solved my problem.

I'll need to find out a bit more about this side of XPpro, seems odd that
this  should behave in this way.

Nigel

Hi Nigel,

Start/run msconfig, on the services tab disable the Windows Image
Acquisition, click ok/apply and reboot. See if that helps. The service is
only needed to monitor for a scanner button or camera, not necessary for
normal operation.

--
Best of Luck,

Rick Rogers aka "Nutcase" MS-MVP - Win9x - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Associate Expert - WinXP - Expert Zone -
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Win98 Help - www.rickrogers.org

Quote:> I have a very fast PC - Dell 8200, PIV 2.2GHz, 512Mb, etc,etc,,,, onto
which
> I have just installed XP Pro - everything works just great, execp when I
try
> to see any image of the machine throgh any of the various "My Computer"
> routes, such as on the desktop, in explorer, or any search menu - when I
do
> the system stops for about three minutes before displaying the contents,
at
> which point all is fine.

> The system is connected occasionally to a lap-top through an RJ45
cross-over
> cable - but I have attempted to delete ant network links, and a mapped
> drive, just in case it is netwrok related.  This has made no difference.
It
> is really bugging me now... h e l p

> TIA

> Nigel

1. XP: "My Computer" hangs when right click on drives in "My Computer"

I right-click on the drives in the My Computer window and all I get is
an hour-glass pointer.

Yes:   I  1) uninstalled the video drivers  in safe mode,
              2) installed the new video drivers in safe mode
              3) installed the CORRECT sound drivers for XP for the
sound card.

SO, why would the "wait"  pointer happen when right-clicking on a drive
?

Thanks to whoever can help.

2. ne2000

3. Netscape "Hang" everytime I started opening two or three homepages

4. Big Disk Madness?

5. "my computer" hangs for 2 to 20 minutes on XP; no contents

6. WMP freezes

7. Clicking "My Computer" hangs system for ten minutes.

8. HELP

9. Opening "My Computer" takes many minutes to show anything after a reboot.

10. ARM is "enabled", yet computer "hangs-up"

11. Clicking on a Drive in My Computer Starts "Search" Instead of "Open"

12. "IE55 sp2 Setup Log" no error, only "RunOnceEx Log" three errors

13. "My Computer", "Control Panel", and "Trash Bin" error.