Network browser lists "Computer Descriptions" instead of "Computer Names"

Network browser lists "Computer Descriptions" instead of "Computer Names"

Post by Ron Mendoz » Wed, 17 Oct 2001 00:04:55

[ Crossposted and Followup-To set to
microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web ]

Unfortunately (IMO) this behavior is intended.  I have not found a way to
restore the original display behavior.
--
Ron Mendoza
Associate Expert

Quote:> After upgrading to XP (pro), I found the following (rather annoying) weird
> thing.
> When listing the computers in a domain, then the list in the right viewing
> pane
> lists the "computer descriptions" first (if any filled in for the
> corresponding computer)
> instead of its "computer name".
> This is rather annoying, because I use the "computer description" as a
field
> where
> I enter some hardware info, and when this hardware info is listed first
for
> all computers
> in the list, then this gives an unuseful view.
> How to change this view again to list the "computer names"

> Kind regards
> Filip Belaen.

Network browser lists "Computer Descriptions" instead of "Computer Names"

Post by Filip Belae » Wed, 17 Oct 2001 00:31:35

Well, in that case, this is the first negative point I discover in this
otherwise magnificent OS !!

Kind regards
Filip

> [ Crossposted and Followup-To set to
> microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web ]

> Unfortunately (IMO) this behavior is intended.  I have not found a way to
> restore the original display behavior.
> --
> Ron Mendoza
> Associate Expert
> Expert Zone - http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone

> > After upgrading to XP (pro), I found the following (rather annoying)
weird
> > thing.
> > When listing the computers in a domain, then the list in the right
viewing
> > pane
> > lists the "computer descriptions" first (if any filled in for the
> > corresponding computer)
> > instead of its "computer name".
> > This is rather annoying, because I use the "computer description" as a
> field
> > where
> > I enter some hardware info, and when this hardware info is listed first
> for
> > all computers
> > in the list, then this gives an unuseful view.
> > How to change this view again to list the "computer names"

> > Kind regards
> > Filip Belaen.

1. "My Computer", "Control Panel", and "Trash Bin" error.

Whenever I try to open either "My Computer", "Control
Panel", or "Trash Bin"  I get a pop up error
saying, "Windows Explorer has encountered a problem and
needs to close.  We are sorry for the inconvenience.".
Than if I try to open one of the 3 listed again, it opens
just fine.  But if I wait long enough to try and open it
again...it will give me the same error.  Its a really
annoying error it will give me the little pop up
error...than asks me to "Send Error Report" or "Don't
Send".  Than after I click one of the two it flashes an
old background image and acts like its loading my new
background again.  Its weird.  Any help would be
appreciated...please send any replys to

Thanks,
Ryan

2. Help to undo a saved file

3. can't access "windows explorer" , "my computer", "control panel"

4. Applications won't close

5. subfolders of "Sent Items" show "From" instead of "To"

6. Hoping to install XP

7. Clicking on a Drive in My Computer Starts "Search" Instead of "Open"

8. OE6 Password Saving Mystery

9. "CD Drive" instead of "DVD Drive" in My Computer

10. XP: "My Computer" hangs when right click on drives in "My Computer"

11. When is the "first computer" installed no longer the "first computer"

12. |||||"""" How do I lock a CDROM """"|||||

13. problem renaming "my computer" and "my network places"