Oem and Hardware Question

Post by Jay » Thu, 29 Jul 2004 16:24:22

what if I wanted to change my hard drive...I bought this cheap pc about six
monthes ago and it has OEM WinXP Home on it. I want to get one of those 7200
rpm hard drives and a new AGP video card for games...can I take this hard
drive out and put the new one in and use the oem cds to start the new drive?
or is a new hard drive like a new PC?
I appreciate your time
Jay

Oem and Hardware Question

Post by Shenan Stanle » Thu, 29 Jul 2004 16:29:47

> what if I wanted to change my hard drive...I bought this cheap pc
> about six monthes ago and it has OEM WinXP Home on it. I want to get
> one of those 7200 rpm hard drives and a new AGP video card for
> games...can I take this hard drive out and put the new one in and use
> the oem cds to start the new drive? or is a new hard drive like a new
> PC?

Technically - if you buy a new hard drive and just do a clean install, it
shouldn't be a problem.  A few components shouldn't affect your computer....
With just a hard drive change, you may be able to use a utility you can get
from the hard drive manufacturer to transfer the whole OS to the new hard
drive and never miss a beat - however it is still suggested you backup
everything important to you first!

--
<- Shenan ->
kind, express or implied.  In other words, read up before you take any

Oem and Hardware Question

Post by Nathan McNult » Thu, 29 Jul 2004 17:00:57

Definetely use the software that comes with your drive to image your old
drive to the new one.  Note that these two minor changes will not change
your activation state for XP and if you use the method above, it
shouldn't even ask to activate.  Do note that you can't use the old hard
drive in a different computer if you use the same copy of XP on the new
harddrive.  Activation for the old harddrive will cause problems.

----
Nathan McNulty

>>what if I wanted to change my hard drive...I bought this cheap pc
>>about six monthes ago and it has OEM WinXP Home on it. I want to get
>>one of those 7200 rpm hard drives and a new AGP video card for
>>games...can I take this hard drive out and put the new one in and use
>>the oem cds to start the new drive? or is a new hard drive like a new
>>PC?

> Technically - if you buy a new hard drive and just do a clean install, it
> shouldn't be a problem.  A few components shouldn't affect your computer....
> With just a hard drive change, you may be able to use a utility you can get
> from the hard drive manufacturer to transfer the whole OS to the new hard
> drive and never miss a beat - however it is still suggested you backup
> everything important to you first!

Oem and Hardware Question

Post by Jim Mackli » Thu, 29 Jul 2004 21:18:38

If you have EOM CDs there is no problem doing what you want,
the OEM CD will look for the BIOS on the mobo.  The hard
drive is standard.  I would install the new hard drive as
master on the primary and leave the original in place, but
disconnected.  Do the fresh install using the OEM CD and
then install the new video card after the system has been
installed.  Then just reconnect the old drive, making sure
it is set to be slave and transfer whatever files you want
on the new fast drive,  You may need to take ownership of
the drive http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308421

| what if I wanted to change my hard drive...I bought this
cheap pc about six
| monthes ago and it has OEM WinXP Home on it. I want to get
one of those 7200
| rpm hard drives and a new AGP video card for games...can I
take this hard
| drive out and put the new one in and use the oem cds to
start the new drive?
| or is a new hard drive like a new PC?
| I appreciate your time
| Jay

Oem and Hardware Question

Post by Emperor » Sun, 01 Aug 2004 01:38:58

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>what if I wanted to change my hard drive...I bought this
cheap pc about six
>monthes ago and it has OEM WinXP Home on it. I want to

get one of those 7200
Quote:>rpm hard drives and a new AGP video card for games...can
I take this hard
>drive out and put the new one in and use the oem cds to

start the new drive?
Quote:>or is a new hard drive like a new PC?
>I appreciate your time
>Jay

>No it is not.  What you could do is either use a program

like Norton Ghost to clone the old drive to the new or
simply continue using the old drive, leave all the system
files on that drive and put all your games and
applications on the new drive.
Quote:>.

Oem and Hardware Question

Post by Nathan McNult » Sun, 01 Aug 2004 07:46:03

Using Norton Ghost in this situation may or may not work since it is a
different harddrive and may not be recognized properly.  It probably
wouldn't be a problem, but the software that comes with your hard drive
such as MaxBlast is much better suited for this.

Even upgrading certain system components doesn't really change the OEM
status as I feel it is more tied into motherboard/chipset.  I have a
Compaq Persario motherboard in a totally different case with completely
different components than it came with and it works just fine as it
didn't go over the limit of changes allowed to the system before the
activation status was changed.

Also, usually you just call in, let them know you changed something, and
they give you the code.  That is if the online activation doesn't work ;)

----
Nathan McNulty

1. Windows XP OEM reactivation after major hardware replacement?

I bought a system a while back that included a copy of Windows XP Home
OEM edition. Unfortunatly for me, several pieces have started to give
way on the system and now require replacement. I plan to replace them
myself since there was not a warranty on the parts.

Basically the major things that are going are the Motherboard and CPU.
Of course the motherboard has intergrated Video & sound so when I
replace the motherboard I'll be replacing those parts as well. The
motherboard I'm planning on upgrading to also has integrated NIC and
uses a different type of RAM that the current one.

I don't believe the copy of XP is locked to the BIOS as I was simply
given the disk and I installed it myself.

Basically after I replace all of these parts all that's going to be
left is the Hard Drive, Floppy, and CD-RW. To make it even worse, I'd
even like to add a DVD ROM and upgrade the harddrive in the future!

Will I be able to reactive Windows XP after these major replacements?

Thanks in advance!

Aristan

2. Media Encoder & Media player not showing Audio devices

3. XP Home OEM reactivation after Major Hardware replacement

4. MS Messenger + Quickcam + Firewall = Zero HELP!!!!!!!!

5. OT: Buying MS OEM Hardware

6. HP 360LX & 3COM Megahertz 56K - drivers?

7. Trying to find OEM CE hardware

8. asp for Apache

9. OEM English and OEM French

10. OEM WinXP Pro or OEM WinXP Home + WinXP Pro upgrade

11. OEM Question

12. question about upgrading rc2 to oem windows xp

13. Question about OEM v's Upgrade