Help get rid of Network Cable unplugged popup Bubble from taskbar!

Help get rid of Network Cable unplugged popup Bubble from taskbar!

Post by moto » Tue, 28 May 2002 17:27:28

Please help me with getting rid of the popup bubble(on the host
computer over the icon in the taskbar) everytime I turn off one of the
client computers on my home network! It is a warning that a network
cable is unplugged.  There must be someway to do it, since on my
laptop it doesn't do this.  Thanks, Ron

Post by Steve Winogra » Tue, 28 May 2002 18:47:38

>Please help me with getting rid of the popup bubble(on the host
>computer over the icon in the taskbar) everytime I turn off one of the
>client computers on my home network! It is a warning that a network
>cable is unplugged.  There must be someway to do it, since on my
>laptop it doesn't do this.  Thanks, Ron

Don't take that message literally.  What it really means is that XP
can't detect a live device connected to the indicated network adapter.
There are many possible reasons, including:

1. The network cable is actually unplugged.

2. The network cable is plugged in, but the other end of the cable
isn't plugged in.

3. The network cable is plugged in on both ends, but the device on the
other end of the cable isn't powered on or isn't working properly.
--
Best Wishes,
Steve Winograd, MS-MVP

for everyone to see.  I will not answer questions addressed
directly to me in E-mail or news groups.

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Windows XP
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;en-us;MVPINTRO

Windows XP Network Troubleshooting
http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/troubleshoot

Help get rid of Network Cable unplugged popup Bubble from taskbar!

Post by moto » Tue, 28 May 2002 21:29:44

Yes--but I understand --why-- the message is there--- However it is
annoying to have the message popup everytime I have a client computer
shutdown.  It is totally a pain to disable and reenable my network
connections everytime I turn a client computer off-on.  I would like
to just disable the popup bubble,  and have only the little computer
icon with the red X on it to show that the network connection is down.
Thanks,  Ron

On Mon, 27 May 2002 03:47:38 -0600, Steve Winograd

>>Please help me with getting rid of the popup bubble(on the host
>>computer over the icon in the taskbar) everytime I turn off one of the
>>client computers on my home network! It is a warning that a network
>>cable is unplugged.  There must be someway to do it, since on my
>>laptop it doesn't do this.  Thanks, Ron

>Don't take that message literally.  What it really means is that XP
>can't detect a live device connected to the indicated network adapter.
>There are many possible reasons, including:

>1. The network cable is actually unplugged.

>2. The network cable is plugged in, but the other end of the cable
>isn't plugged in.

>3. The network cable is plugged in on both ends, but the device on the
>other end of the cable isn't powered on or isn't working properly.

Help get rid of Network Cable unplugged popup Bubble from taskbar!

Post by Michae » Wed, 29 May 2002 00:07:50

Here is a link to an MS MVP's website who has a script to turn off the
balloon tips.  Might want to try and see if it works for you...

http://www.dougknox.com/  look under the fixes section

Michael

> Yes--but I understand --why-- the message is there--- However it is
> annoying to have the message popup everytime I have a client computer
> shutdown.  It is totally a pain to disable and reenable my network
> connections everytime I turn a client computer off-on.  I would like
> to just disable the popup bubble,  and have only the little computer
> icon with the red X on it to show that the network connection is down.
> Thanks,  Ron

> On Mon, 27 May 2002 03:47:38 -0600, Steve Winograd

> >>Please help me with getting rid of the popup bubble(on the host
> >>computer over the icon in the taskbar) everytime I turn off one of the
> >>client computers on my home network! It is a warning that a network
> >>cable is unplugged.  There must be someway to do it, since on my
> >>laptop it doesn't do this.  Thanks, Ron

> >Don't take that message literally.  What it really means is that XP
> >can't detect a live device connected to the indicated network adapter.
> >There are many possible reasons, including:

> >1. The network cable is actually unplugged.

> >2. The network cable is plugged in, but the other end of the cable
> >isn't plugged in.

> >3. The network cable is plugged in on both ends, but the device on the
> >other end of the cable isn't powered on or isn't working properly.

Help get rid of Network Cable unplugged popup Bubble from taskbar!

Post by Wilykiot » Wed, 29 May 2002 02:05:11

Quote:> Here is a link to an MS MVP's website who has a script to turn off the
> balloon tips.  Might want to try and see if it works for you...

> http://www.dougknox.com/  look under the fixes section

> Michael

Another method would be to just go to your LAN and Network connections and
disable that connection. That way it doesn't show up on your taskbar.

 The three most dangerous things in the world are:
 a programmer with a soldering iron,
 a hardware type with a program patch
 a user with an idea.

Help get rid of Network Cable unplugged popup Bubble from taskbar!

Post by Michael Walrave » Wed, 29 May 2002 10:29:38

On mine, I don't need to disable and reenable the network connection, just
click on the X in the upper right of the
bubble and the bubble goes away.

Michael