Invaid BOOT.INI error message?

Post by William Chen » Thu, 23 Jan 2003 01:03:40

Hi all,

I am getting an "invalid BOOT.INI, booting from c:\windows\" flash on the
screen for a few seconds before my WinXP starts up.  This can't be good -
although WinXP still starts up normally - what is wrong?  How can I fix
this?  Is there a program that can repair this BOOT.INI file and where can I
find it?

Thanks, William

Invaid BOOT.INI error message?

Post by William Chen » Thu, 23 Jan 2003 01:46:52

Hi all,

I looked in my boot c:\ directory and cannot find the boot.ini (yes I
selected the folder option view protected files checkbox).  I guess it must
of somehow been erased - I am trying to re-install everything at once right
now to get my system up again (clean install upgrade from Win98).  I tried a
Google search for this topic and found out that I should boot using the XP
disc and go into the Recovery Console to type the command: bootcfg /rebuild.
However when I tried that, it asks me to logon to the c:\windows then ask
for a Administrator's Password.  I didn't put one in when I installed WinXP
Pro, I am the only user.  It didn't like me just pressing return.  I then
did another search for this problem, and they said that it was the wrong
Repair Mode, and that I should just proceed with the installation option -
they would offer me the repair option after the license screen.  I did that
all the way to choosing the partition and choosing to keep my file format
intact - then I got scared - I didn't want a fresh copy of WinXP installed
and loose all my settings and drivers.  Should I have gone further?  Would a
re-installation keep all my settings and drivers intact?  Would there be a
repair option to issue the command: bootcfg /rebuild further down the road
without wiping out my HDD to start all over again?

Thanks, (is there a repair program that does this for me? or is it harmful
to run without a boot.ini?)

1. Invaid BOOT.INI error message?

Hi all,

I am getting an "invalid BOOT.INI, booting from c:\windows\" flash on the
screen for a few seconds before my WinXP starts up.  This can't be good -
although WinXP still starts up normally - what is wrong?  How can I fix
this?  Is there a program that can repair this BOOT.INI file and where can I
find it?

Thanks, William

2. Microsoft Natural Keyboard wont work with XP

3. Copy to CD - CDwriter not showing

4. Users and IE problems

5. Error message: NTLDR: Fatal Error 1 reading BOOT.ini

6. pop-ups

7. Can't find boot.ini... only boot.ini.backup

8. invalid boot.ini error message

9. Booting up Error 'Boot.ini'

10. Invalid Boot.ini message...

11. Invalid boot.ini message