System Restore fixes in SP1

Post by Anshul Rawat [MS » Thu, 12 Sep 2002 09:27:47

Hi! Guys

Windows XP Service Pack 1 is finally out and I thought id let you know of
some of the goodies it brings for System Restore. Weve heard your concern on
some of the major issues you all were having with System Restor and voila
SP1 includes fixes for your most commonly reported problems. The higlights
for some of the fixes in Sp1 include:

1. Fix for SR not launching due to the framedyn.dll error you all have been
reporting
2. No calendar availaible in the SR wizard to select restore points due to
the the .htc file association being knocked out in the registyr has been
fixed
3. A fix for SR failing restores. A lot of you were seeing failed restores
when restoring to any restore point. Although some of it was attributed to
SR datastore corruption, in most cases it was possibly due to locked file
issues causing the restore process to fail, especially in scenarios where
fast user switching was used. This was a known issue which is now fixed in
in SP1. This will hopefully resolve all cases for failed restores and it
would be great if all of you running into this problem could upgrade to SP1
and provide us feedback on this issue, whether it has resolved the problem
for you or not. cmon folks we need your feedback to see if we got it right
:).
4. Fix for drive table inconsistency on a machine causing SR to not create
restore points.
5. Security filxes for SR to keep away those terrible hackers and viruses.

So upgrade to SP1 and provide us with some feedback on your issues with SR
and whether they are now resolved, especially when dealing with failed
restores.

--
Anshul Rawat[MS]
System Restore, Windows XP

For additional information on System Restore please visit:
http://microsoft.com/technet/itcommunity/Newsgroups/FAQSRWXP.asp

System Restore fixes in SP1

Post by David Harriso » Thu, 12 Sep 2002 13:42:50

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>Hi! Guys

>Windows XP Service Pack 1 is finally out and I thought
id let you know of
>some of the goodies it brings for System Restore. Weve

heard your concern on
Quote:>some of the major issues you all were having with System
Restor and voila
>SP1 includes fixes for your most commonly reported

problems. The higlights
Quote:>for some of the fixes in Sp1 include:

>1. Fix for SR not launching due to the framedyn.dll

error you all have been
Quote:>reporting
>2. No calendar availaible in the SR wizard to select

restore points due to
Quote:>the the .htc file association being knocked out in the
registyr has been
>fixed
>3. A fix for SR failing restores. A lot of you were

seeing failed restores
Quote:>when restoring to any restore point. Although some of it
was attributed to
>SR datastore corruption, in most cases it was possibly
due to locked file
>issues causing the restore process to fail, especially
in scenarios where
>fast user switching was used. This was a known issue

which is now fixed in
Quote:>in SP1. This will hopefully resolve all cases for failed
restores and it
>would be great if all of you running into this problem

could upgrade to SP1
Quote:>and provide us feedback on this issue, whether it has

resolved the problem
Quote:>for you or not. cmon folks we need your feedback to see
if we got it right
>:).
>4. Fix for drive table inconsistency on a machine

causing SR to not create
Quote:>restore points.
>5. Security filxes for SR to keep away those terrible

hackers and viruses.
Quote:

>So upgrade to SP1 and provide us with some feedback on
your issues with SR
>and whether they are now resolved, especially when
dealing with failed
>restores.

>--
>Anshul Rawat[MS]
>System Restore, Windows XP

>This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties and
confers no rights.

>For additional information on System Restore please
visit:
>http://microsoft.com/technet/itcommunity/Newsgroups/FAQSR
WXP.asp

>Thank you for the input re:syster restore.

I have used the SR prior with out any problems. Now
however SR fails to restore system to prev restre point.
FYI I downloaded Media Player 9 Beta and that was when my
problem began! I have downloaded SP1. Tryed to restore to
previous restore point to get rid of win media player 9
beta version. SR failed again!
Please respond as the solution you stated above, does not
correct my systems problem with SR.
Thank you in advance for your help.
David

Quote:>.

System Restore fixes in SP1

Post by Jorda » Fri, 13 Sep 2002 03:41:32

I have exacly the same issue...I installed WMP
beta9...attempted to get it off via restore, and could not
restore to any restore point...I installed SP1 and have
the same problem...any workaround to this?

Jordan

Quote:>-----Original Message-----

System Restore fixes in SP1

Post by Murra » Fri, 13 Sep 2002 18:29:29

You must be kidding, I would suggest no one loads SP1. I
installed it on my XP pro machine and get c:\system32
\config\system is corrupt or missing error and can't
restore it. So SP! has trashed the machine and reading
through this mail group it's happening alot.

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>Hi! Guys

>Windows XP Service Pack 1 is finally out and I thought id
let you know of
>some of the goodies it brings for System Restore. Weve

heard your concern on
Quote:>some of the major issues you all were having with System
Restor and voila
>SP1 includes fixes for your most commonly reported

problems. The higlights
Quote:>for some of the fixes in Sp1 include:

>1. Fix for SR not launching due to the framedyn.dll error
you all have been
>reporting
>2. No calendar availaible in the SR wizard to select

restore points due to
Quote:>the the .htc file association being knocked out in the
registyr has been
>fixed
>3. A fix for SR failing restores. A lot of you were

seeing failed restores
Quote:>when restoring to any restore point. Although some of it
was attributed to
>SR datastore corruption, in most cases it was possibly
due to locked file
>issues causing the restore process to fail, especially in
scenarios where
>fast user switching was used. This was a known issue

which is now fixed in
Quote:>in SP1. This will hopefully resolve all cases for failed
restores and it
>would be great if all of you running into this problem

could upgrade to SP1
Quote:>and provide us feedback on this issue, whether it has

resolved the problem
Quote:>for you or not. cmon folks we need your feedback to see
if we got it right
>:).
>4. Fix for drive table inconsistency on a machine causing
SR to not create
>restore points.
>5. Security filxes for SR to keep away those terrible

hackers and viruses.
Quote:

>So upgrade to SP1 and provide us with some feedback on
your issues with SR
>and whether they are now resolved, especially when
dealing with failed
>restores.

>--
>Anshul Rawat[MS]
>System Restore, Windows XP

>This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties and
confers no rights.

>For additional information on System Restore please visit:
>http://microsoft.com/technet/itcommunity/Newsgroups/FAQSRW
XP.asp

>.

System Restore fixes in SP1

Post by Kent W. England [MVP » Sat, 14 Sep 2002 14:54:53

Very nice of you to write this summary. Your interaction and support in
the community is exceptional. Thanks for all the time you spend here.

--
Kent W. England, MS MVP for Windows XP
(Please respond only in the newsgroup)

Quote:> Hi! Guys

> Windows XP Service Pack 1 is finally out and I thought id let you know
of
> some of the goodies it brings for System Restore. Weve heard your
concern on
> some of the major issues you all were having with System Restor and
voila
> SP1 includes fixes for your most commonly reported problems. The
higlights
> for some of the fixes in Sp1 include:

> 1. Fix for SR not launching due to the framedyn.dll error you all have
been
> reporting
> 2. No calendar availaible in the SR wizard to select restore points
due to
> the the .htc file association being knocked out in the registyr has
been
> fixed
> 3. A fix for SR failing restores. A lot of you were seeing failed
restores
> when restoring to any restore point. Although some of it was
attributed to
> SR datastore corruption, in most cases it was possibly due to locked
file
> issues causing the restore process to fail, especially in scenarios
where
> fast user switching was used. This was a known issue which is now
fixed in
> in SP1. This will hopefully resolve all cases for failed restores and
it
> would be great if all of you running into this problem could upgrade
to SP1
> and provide us feedback on this issue, whether it has resolved the
problem
> for you or not. cmon folks we need your feedback to see if we got it
right
> :).
> 4. Fix for drive table inconsistency on a machine causing SR to not
create
> restore points.
> 5. Security filxes for SR to keep away those terrible hackers and
viruses.

> So upgrade to SP1 and provide us with some feedback on your issues
with SR
> and whether they are now resolved, especially when dealing with failed
> restores.

> --
> Anshul Rawat[MS]
> System Restore, Windows XP

> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties and confers no
rights.

> For additional information on System Restore please visit:
> http://microsoft.com/technet/itcommunity/Newsgroups/FAQSRWXP.asp

1. system restore wont start, no system restore tab....

hi,
the other day i wanted to install some drivers and i
thought it would be safe to create a restore point.

and i realised dat i cant get system restore to run.
it'll give me an error saying:
"System Restore is not able to protect your computer.
Please restart your computer and then run System Restore
again."

then i thought maybe it was disabled and i went to System
Properties to enable it and i realised that there isnt a
System Restore tab like it should have been (at least
according to online help)

ive updated my xp to service pack 1

any help??

2. scripting engine might be corrupt

3. System repair - restore -- HOW TO Start the XP System Restore Tool from a Command Prompt

4. error in reading files

5. System Restore Did Not Complete - Now System Restore Won't Run

6. Ques ability to run 2nd OS ie: win98 on same computer with WIN XP?

7. Netscape "history" file usable only for current session?

8. System screwed up...System restore won't let me go to previous month to restore.

9. System Restore, Norton System Restore, Norton Personal Firewall

10. System restore will not restore from restore points?

11. system restore will not restore any restore points

12. System restore to fix Outlook Express error 0x8007000E, 05