LEARN HOW TO REMOVE WINDOWS MESSENGER
When disabling Windows Messenger isn't quite enough, rest assured that
Windows XP offers two options that will get rid of it completely.
Follow these steps to remove Windows Messenger:
1. From Notepad, open the Sysoc.inf file within the %systemroot\inf%
2. Find the line that starts with msmsgs, and remove the word HIDE. Make
sure you don't delete anything else!
3. Save the changes and close Notepad.
4. Open Control Panel and select Add/Remove Programs.
5. Choose Add/Remove Windows Components. Check Windows Messenger, which
should appear at the bottom of the list, and click Next.
If you don't want to mess with the Sysoc.inf file, you can directly
start the uninstall module for Windows Messenger. Here's how:
1. Log on as a member of the administrators group.
2. On the Start menu, select Run.
RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\INF\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove
in the Run box. Make sure to type that in one line and exactly
as specified, including the spaces and commas.
The uninstallation process for Windows Messenger will begin.
> To remove Windows Messenger manually, click Start, Run and enter the following command:
> RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\inf\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove
> Note: This will prevent a long delay when opening Outlook Express if you have the Contacts pane enabled. To prevent this, click Start, Run and enter REGEDIT Go to:
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Outlook Express
> Right click in the right pane and select New, Dword value. Give it the name Hide Messenger Double click this new entry and set the value to 2.
>>Anybody know how to uninstall Windows Messenger from XP, or at least
>>prevent it from loading on startup? I have tried everything I know of
>>to get rid of the * and have had no luck!