How to uninstall Windows Messenger?

How to uninstall Windows Messenger?

Post by Jay Bolly » Sat, 21 Sep 2002 05:26:46




Quote:> Anybody know how to uninstall Windows Messenger from XP, or at least
> prevent it from loading on startup?  I have tried everything I know of
> to get rid of the * and have had no luck!

> Thanks,
> Reuben

use gpedit.msc  - Windows components - Windows Messenger etc.
 
 
 

How to uninstall Windows Messenger?

Post by Kevin & Rache » Sat, 21 Sep 2002 05:38:27


I cannot remember, sorry, but some of the MVP folks know how, off by heart.
There is a MS  KnowledgeBase article as well.  www.kellyskorner.com may be
of use.  Also, you have to do something to the registry otherwise there is a
problem using IE6 later.


Quote:> Anybody know how to uninstall Windows Messenger from XP, or at least
> prevent it from loading on startup?  I have tried everything I know of
> to get rid of the * and have had no luck!

> Thanks,
> Reuben


 
 
 

How to uninstall Windows Messenger?

Post by Gav » Sat, 21 Sep 2002 05:54:30


If you download Tweak XP, you can uninstall Messenger from there.

http://www.totalidea.de/

 
 
 

How to uninstall Windows Messenger?

Post by Mike Garre » Sat, 21 Sep 2002 05:57:53


You can find how to delete or prevent it from starting here on thanks to
Doug's page:

http://www.veryComputer.com/

Mike



> I cannot remember, sorry, but some of the MVP folks know how, off by
heart.
> There is a MS  KnowledgeBase article as well.  www.kellyskorner.com may be
> of use.  Also, you have to do something to the registry otherwise there is
a
> problem using IE6 later.



> > Anybody know how to uninstall Windows Messenger from XP, or at least
> > prevent it from loading on startup?  I have tried everything I know of
> > to get rid of the * and have had no luck!

> > Thanks,
> > Reuben

 
 
 

How to uninstall Windows Messenger?

Post by Bob » Sat, 21 Sep 2002 06:01:50




Quote:>Anybody know how to uninstall Windows Messenger from XP, or at least
>prevent it from loading on startup?  I have tried everything I know of
>to get rid of the * and have had no luck!

>Thanks,
>Reuben

Install SP1 for XP and you will find a new feature in Add/Remove
Programs that will let you hide/disable various programs that come
with XP such as Messenger, IE, Outlook Express, Microsoft Java.

Bob T.

 
 
 

How to uninstall Windows Messenger?

Post by Larc » Sat, 21 Sep 2002 06:38:21




|  Anybody know how to uninstall Windows Messenger from XP, or at least
|  prevent it from loading on startup?  I have tried everything I know of
|  to get rid of the * and have had no luck!

If you've installed SP1, go to Control Panel -> Add or Remove Programs
-> Set Program Access and Defaults.  Find Choose Default Messaging
Program, make sure the radio dot isn't beside Windows Messenger, and
uncheck "Enable access to this program."

Larc

    - Please remove "r" from rnc to reply by e-mail -

 
 
 

How to uninstall Windows Messenger?

Post by Sir_Georg » Sat, 21 Sep 2002 07:06:40


Reuben,

To remove Windows Messenger manually, click Start, Run and enter the following command:

RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\inf\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove

Note: This will prevent a long delay when opening Outlook Express if you have the Contacts pane enabled.  To prevent this, click Start, Run and enter REGEDIT  Go to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Outlook Express

Right click in the right pane and select New, Dword value. Give it the name Hide Messenger Double click this new entry and set the value to 2.

Sir_George


> Anybody know how to uninstall Windows Messenger from XP, or at least
> prevent it from loading on startup?  I have tried everything I know of
> to get rid of the * and have had no luck!

> Thanks,
> Reuben

 
 
 

How to uninstall Windows Messenger?

Post by Kell » Sat, 21 Sep 2002 08:40:29


Hi,

Thanks for the mention, however the link is wrong:
http://www.veryComputer.com/

--
All the Best,
Kelly

MS-MVP Win98/XP [AE-Windows? XP]
http://www.veryComputer.com/
http://www.veryComputer.com/



> I cannot remember, sorry, but some of the MVP folks know how, off by
heart.
> There is a MS  KnowledgeBase article as well.  www.kellyskorner.com may be
> of use.  Also, you have to do something to the registry otherwise there is
a
> problem using IE6 later.



> > Anybody know how to uninstall Windows Messenger from XP, or at least
> > prevent it from loading on startup?  I have tried everything I know of
> > to get rid of the * and have had no luck!

> > Thanks,
> > Reuben

 
 
 

How to uninstall Windows Messenger?

Post by 540igu » Sat, 21 Sep 2002 09:16:06


LEARN HOW TO REMOVE WINDOWS MESSENGER

When disabling Windows Messenger isn't quite enough, rest assured that
Windows XP offers two options that will get rid of it completely.

Follow these steps to remove Windows Messenger:

1. From Notepad, open the Sysoc.inf file within the %systemroot\inf%
folder.

2. Find the line that starts with msmsgs, and remove the word HIDE. Make
sure you don't delete anything else!

3. Save the changes and close Notepad.

4. Open Control Panel and select Add/Remove Programs.

5. Choose Add/Remove Windows Components. Check Windows Messenger, which
should appear at the bottom of the list, and click Next.

If you don't want to mess with the Sysoc.inf file, you can directly
start the uninstall module for Windows Messenger. Here's how:

1. Log on as a member of the administrators group.

2. On the Start menu, select Run.

3. Type
RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\INF\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove
in the Run box. Make sure to type that in one line and exactly
as specified, including the spaces and commas.

The uninstallation process for Windows Messenger will begin.


> Reuben,

> To remove Windows Messenger manually, click Start, Run and enter the following command:

> RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\inf\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove

> Note: This will prevent a long delay when opening Outlook Express if you have the Contacts pane enabled.  To prevent this, click Start, Run and enter REGEDIT  Go to:

> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Outlook Express

> Right click in the right pane and select New, Dword value. Give it the name Hide Messenger Double click this new entry and set the value to 2.

> Sir_George


>>Anybody know how to uninstall Windows Messenger from XP, or at least
>>prevent it from loading on startup?  I have tried everything I know of
>>to get rid of the * and have had no luck!

>>Thanks,
>>Reuben

 
 
 

How to uninstall Windows Messenger?

Post by Barry » Sat, 21 Sep 2002 14:42:24


Go to the following website and it will give  you the command for removing
Messenger from XP.

http://www.veryComputer.com/

Barry


Quote:> Anybody know how to uninstall Windows Messenger from XP, or at least
> prevent it from loading on startup?  I have tried everything I know of
> to get rid of the * and have had no luck!

> Thanks,
> Reuben

 
 
 

How to uninstall Windows Messenger?

Post by Les Herrma » Sat, 21 Sep 2002 23:14:44



>1. From Notepad, open the Sysoc.inf file within the %systemroot\inf%
>folder.

>2. Find the line that starts with msmsgs, and remove the word HIDE. Make
>sure you don't delete anything else!

>3. Save the changes and close Notepad.

>4. Open Control Panel and select Add/Remove Programs.

>5. Choose Add/Remove Windows Components. Check Windows Messenger, which
>should appear at the bottom of the list, and click Next.

Don't think this is necessary though if you have applied SP1.  After
SP1 it will show in the add/remove area.
 
 
 

1. - Uninstalling Windows Messenger after installing MSN Messenger...

How do you remove Windows Messenger (4.7) from your system after installing
MSN Messenger (5.0)?

I have both running... with the Windows Messenger being associated to
Outlook and OE, and I'm trying to just run on MSN Messenger now... it's a
pain in the buttinski.

Windows Messenger does not show up in add-remove programs (control panel)
nor does it come with an uninstaller.

Help?

2. IIS 2.0 and Catapult...

3. Uninstall Windows Messenger and Use MSN Messenger

4. Transferring Software

5. Uninstall Windows Messenger & Use MSN Messenger

6. What does this error message mean???

7. How to Uninstall Windows Messenger

8. Limit to length of SQL statement?

9. Uninstalling Windows Messenger

10. How to Uninstall Windows Messenger