XP comand line

Post by Wayn » Wed, 26 Feb 2003 08:19:46

Do any of you XP professionals out there in *world use the Windows XP
command line much ?out of curiosity where could I find out more about the
command line, I've used ipconfig many times on my ever changing broadband
connection and very useful it is to are there any other useful commands
anybody can suggest.

Wayne

XP comand line

Post by GSV Three Minds in a Ca » Wed, 26 Feb 2003 08:47:27

Quote:>Do any of you XP professionals out there in *world use the Windows XP
>command line much ?out of curiosity where could I find out more about the
>command line, I've used ipconfig many times on my ever changing broadband
>connection and very useful it is to are there any other useful commands
>anybody can suggest.

Lots. Try 'start help Command Line reference' for some indications.
Ping and Tracert are pretty much indispensable. 8>.

--
GSV   Three Minds in a Can

XP comand line

Post by David Cand » Wed, 26 Feb 2003 08:54:38

The windows XP command line is Start - Run, you're referring to a command prompt command line. They have different behaviour. The command prompt has two modes as well.

To convert a Windows Command line to a command prompt use
cmd /kipconfig

To convert a command prompt to Windows command line use
start winword

I use Start - Run for almost everything (drag it to quick launch bar for a quick way of starting it) and rarely choose anything other than help or favourites from the Start Menu.

Type in Help
Command-line reference
for command prompt commands.
--
World War 3 - Written and Directed by George W Goebells, Colin Ribbentrop, and* Hitler
Starring USA as Germany, Great Britain as Italy, Australia as Hungary, Italy as Romania, and Turkey as Croatia.

> Do any of you XP professionals out there in *world use the Windows XP
> command line much ?out of curiosity where could I find out more about the
> command line, I've used ipconfig many times on my ever changing broadband
> connection and very useful it is to are there any other useful commands
> anybody can suggest.

> Wayne

XP comand line

Post by Wayn » Wed, 26 Feb 2003 09:02:14

Cheers for that I always forget how good XP's Help and Support is, I'm now
looking at the A to Z of command line references never realised there was so
many, could do with a book with them all in like the old dos books.

Wayne

> >Do any of you XP professionals out there in *world use the Windows XP
> >command line much ?out of curiosity where could I find out more about the
> >command line, I've used ipconfig many times on my ever changing broadband
> >connection and very useful it is to are there any other useful commands
> >anybody can suggest.

> Lots. Try 'start help Command Line reference' for some indications.
> Ping and Tracert are pretty much indispensable. 8>.

> --
> GSV   Three Minds in a Can
> Outgoing Msgs are Turing Tested,and indistinguishable from human typing.

XP comand line

Post by Wayn » Wed, 26 Feb 2003 09:18:23

You've lost me a bit here what am I actually doing then when I open a
command prompt ? I'll call it a dos box on my desk top I know its not dos
but you get my drift and type ipconfig I know what ipconfig does but I don't
type anything else in.
Wayne

The windows XP command line is Start - Run, you're referring to a command
prompt command line. They have different behaviour. The command prompt has
two modes as well.

To convert a Windows Command line to a command prompt use
cmd /kipconfig

To convert a command prompt to Windows command line use
start winword

I use Start - Run for almost everything (drag it to quick launch bar for a
quick way of starting it) and rarely choose anything other than help or
favourites from the Start Menu.

Type in Help
Command-line reference
for command prompt commands.
--
World War 3 - Written and Directed by George W Goebells, Colin Ribbentrop,
and* Hitler
Starring USA as Germany, Great Britain as Italy, Australia as Hungary, Italy
as Romania, and Turkey as Croatia.
Sprcial Guest Star Iraq as Czechoslovakia, Austria, Poland, France, Serbia,
Denmark, Belgium, Luxembourg, Norway, Great Britain, and the Netherlands.
David Candy
http://www.veryComputer.com/

Quote:> Do any of you XP professionals out there in *world use the Windows XP
> command line much ?out of curiosity where could I find out more about the
> command line, I've used ipconfig many times on my ever changing broadband
> connection and very useful it is to are there any other useful commands
> anybody can suggest.

> Wayne

XP comand line

Post by David Cand » Wed, 26 Feb 2003 09:46:17

They are both command lines, one is a windows one and is processed by the windows shell - this is used by most shortcuts and most file associations as well as Start - Run.

The other is a command prompt command line. This is not used by windows at all, only by the user.

There is the IE command line (addressbar) and a Dos 5 command line as well. The Dos 5 command line is slightly nobbled as it passes anything typed in it to the command prompt command line - to force Dos 5 command processor to process use this syntax (getting help for Dos's Dir rather than cmd's dir)
command /kdir /?

One big difference between Command Prompt and Windows is delimiters. Command often doesn't require "" surrounding paths and delimiters are treated differently. In a windows command line a space delimiter must be used while in cmd any valid delimiter can be used.

This is legal in a command prompt
ipconfig/?

How ever this is not legal in a windows command line. You must use
ipconfig /?

The search order is widely different betwwen the two as well. EG  there is no need for a standard path to be set for a windows command line to work.

Help Windows Find Programs and Documents
Programs and documents can be added to the registry so typing their name without their path in the Start - Run dialog box or shortcut enables Windows to find them.

This is a generic reg file. Copy the lines below to a new Text Document and save it as anyname.reg. Edit it with your programs or documents.

The file doesn't have to exist. This can be used to set Word.exe to open Winword.exe.

This sample add IE.Txt (from IE5) to the registry so typing IE.Txt will open it. I think the file is called IE4.txt in IE4.

REGEDIT4
;The bolded name below is the name of the document or program, <filename>.<file extension>

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\IE.txt]

;The whole path in enclosed in a quotation mark ".

;Optional Parameters. The semicolon means don't process the line. Remove it if you want to put it in the registry

;Informs the shell that the program accepts URLs.

;"useURL"="1"

;Sets the path that a program will use as its' default directory. This is commented out.

;"Path"="C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Office\\Office\\"

To remove a program or document use RegDelete from the Help Page. For the above example type the following into RegDelete (note the trailing backslash)

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\format.txt\

--
World War 3 - Written and Directed by George W Goebells, Colin Ribbentrop, and* Hitler
Starring USA as Germany, Great Britain as Italy, Australia as Hungary, Italy as Romania, and Turkey as Croatia.
Sprcial Guest Star Iraq as Czechoslovakia, Austria, Poland, France, Serbia, Denmark, Belgium, Luxembourg, Norway, Great Britain, and the Netherlands.
David Candy
http://www.veryComputer.com/

> You've lost me a bit here what am I actually doing then when I open a
> command prompt ? I'll call it a dos box on my desk top I know its not dos
> but you get my drift and type ipconfig I know what ipconfig does but I don't
> type anything else in.
> Wayne

> The windows XP command line is Start - Run, you're referring to a command
> prompt command line. They have different behaviour. The command prompt has
> two modes as well.

> To convert a Windows Command line to a command prompt use
> cmd /kipconfig

> To convert a command prompt to Windows command line use
> start winword

> I use Start - Run for almost everything (drag it to quick launch bar for a
> quick way of starting it) and rarely choose anything other than help or
> favourites from the Start Menu.

> Type in Help
> Command-line reference
> for command prompt commands.
> --
> World War 3 - Written and Directed by George W Goebells, Colin Ribbentrop,
> and* Hitler
> Starring USA as Germany, Great Britain as Italy, Australia as Hungary, Italy
> as Romania, and Turkey as Croatia.
> Sprcial Guest Star Iraq as Czechoslovakia, Austria, Poland, France, Serbia,
> Denmark, Belgium, Luxembourg, Norway, Great Britain, and the Netherlands.
> David Candy
> http://www.veryComputer.com/

> > Do any of you XP professionals out there in *world use the Windows XP
> > command line much ?out of curiosity where could I find out more about the
> > command line, I've used ipconfig many times on my ever changing broadband
> > connection and very useful it is to are there any other useful commands
> > anybody can suggest.

> > Wayne

  rarrow.gif
1K Download

XP comand line

Post by Debra Earl » Wed, 26 Feb 2003 16:18:47

> Do any of you XP professionals out there in *world use the Windows XP
> command line much ?out of curiosity where could I find out more about the
> command line, I've used ipconfig many times on my ever changing broadband
> connection and very useful it is to are there any other useful commands
> anybody can suggest.

> Wayne

There is a nice LITTLE book from O'Reilley for NT4 and one for W2K, but I
haven't seen one for XP ... but the W2K one is almost completely identical
to what works in XP.  It's about $10 and has a comprehensive list of the
commands as well as those included with the resource kit, examples, etc.

-- DE

XP comand line

Post by jaste » Thu, 27 Feb 2003 01:06:57

You might want to bookmark HELP with your frequent use commands.  The CMD is
most useful as a commandline interpreter to automate simple tasks with
scheduler like scandisk, defrag, ntbackup,etc.