format hard drive, then reinstall xp pro

format hard drive, then reinstall xp pro

Post by Chad » Sun, 06 Jan 2002 11:36:56

how do i format my hard drive and then install xp?  i have the update so i
guess i have to install windows 98 first.  Somebody help.

format hard drive, then reinstall xp pro

Post by pc2k » Sun, 06 Jan 2002 09:42:22

Just boot to the cd and xp will do it all for you. Set bios to look to cd
drive first on boot up.

--
Phil

Quote:> how do i format my hard drive and then install xp?  i have the update so i
> guess i have to install windows 98 first.  Somebody help.

format hard drive, then reinstall xp pro

Post by Donald McDanie » Sun, 06 Jan 2002 09:45:16

See this site for instructions on doing a clean install of XP (includes
screenshots, even):
http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sg_clean.asp

Donald McDaniel

Quote:> how do i format my hard drive and then install xp?  i have the update so i
> guess i have to install windows 98 first.  Somebody help.

format hard drive, then reinstall xp pro

Post by Derek Linfiel » Sun, 06 Jan 2002 10:14:21

Definitely do not install 98 first.  Just have the disk available to insert
when requested.

Quote:> how do i format my hard drive and then install xp?  i have the update so i
> guess i have to install windows 98 first.  Somebody help.

format hard drive, then reinstall xp pro

Post by G. Bea » Sun, 06 Jan 2002 10:41:29

Update ?

You mean you purchased the Windows XP Pro - Upgrade version?

OR  are you talking about the RC2 update for the "pre-release" build/copy of
WinXP ?

gb

Some useful utilities:

http://www.bootdisk.com

Quote:> how do i format my hard drive and then install xp?  i have the update so i
> guess i have to install windows 98 first.  Somebody help.

format hard drive, then reinstall xp pro

Post by Pesikan Dark » Sun, 06 Jan 2002 11:19:08

If your CD is not bootable, insert bootable diskette in drive A: ,
and then type d:\i386\winnt.exe.

format hard drive, then reinstall xp pro

Post by Jim » Sun, 06 Jan 2002 11:55:23

All you have to do is f-disk it and then put the windows
XP cd in your cd player and it will go through and ask
you to put in the full version win 98 cd and then put the
XP cd back in and it will format your hard drive and
install a fresh copy of XP.
Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>how do i format my hard drive and then install xp?  i

have the update so i
Quote:>guess i have to install windows 98 first.  Somebody help.

>.

format hard drive, then reinstall xp pro

Post by Kevin Lang » Sun, 06 Jan 2002 13:39:09

It is completely possible to do a clean install of XP without installing 98
first, the only thing an upgrade will do on a clean istall is ask for a
Win98 CD to make sure you have it, hence the upgrade part.  Simply put the
XP CD into your CD-ROM drive, make sure your bios boots off CD-ROMs at
startup and your set to go, just follow the onscreen instructions, also, if
you are not dual booting or having another operating system on that HD, I
recommend installing with a NTFS file system.

Kevin