Dial-up Internet Connection Sharing Conflicting with File and Print Sharing

Dial-up Internet Connection Sharing Conflicting with File and Print Sharing

Post by VanInsbergh » Tue, 08 Jan 2002 05:33:09

I have spent the last week trying to get my network running...

I have narrowed the problems down, and now know what they are.  Whenever I
enable the Internet connection sharing, or the firewall, the File and print
sharing is unaccessable.

I have exausted all of my other technical support resources - it is funny
how nobody supports Windows Xp.

Please help me!
Anything will do!
Mike

Post by Steve Winogra » Tue, 08 Jan 2002 05:47:34

>I have spent the last week trying to get my network running...

>I have narrowed the problems down, and now know what they are.  Whenever I
>enable the Internet connection sharing, or the firewall, the File and print
>sharing is unaccessable.

>I have exausted all of my other technical support resources - it is funny
>how nobody supports Windows Xp.

>Please help me!
>Anything will do!
>Mike

The Internet Connection Firewall is for use only on a direct modem
connection to the Internet.  Don't enable it on a local area network
connection: it serves no useful purpose there, and it will block file
and printer sharing.

When you enable ICS, it sets the IP address of the local area network
connection to 192.168.0.1.  If this isn't compatible with your
existing IP addressing scheme, it could prevent file and printer
sharing.  In that case, the solution is to configure the other
computer(s) as ICS clients so that they get compatible IP addresses.

I've written a web page which should help:

Windows XP Internet Connection Sharing
http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp_ics
--
Best Wishes,
Steve Winograd, MS-MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/support/mvp

Sorry, but I don't give technical support by E-mail.
Please post all questions in the news group, and don't
E-mail your reply to me.

Adding Windows XP to an Existing Network
http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp/addxp.htm

Windows XP Professional File Sharing

1. Internet Connection Sharing doesn't work when VPN is used on the shared connection

Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) doesn't work when VPN is used on the
shared connection.

Machine WinXP is the ICS host, machine Win98 is the ICS client.  When VPN is
enabled on the shared internet connection on WinXP, Win98 can no longer
connect to the internet.  Is there a way to correct this?

An Microsft knowledge base article mentioned that there is no way around
this, and you have to use VPN on ICS client machine.  But I really need to
use VPN on ICS host machine.

Thanks.

2. securing NT 4.0 SP6a/you can't get there from here

3. Does internet connection sharing disable file sharing?

4. Is it possible to read / action emails in OE using VBA??

5. Internet Connection Sharing on dial-up

6. WTB: Wanted: VERY cheap HPC...

7. XP Dial-Up Incoming Connections - Shared Internet on DSL

8. philips pcrw2412 help!!

9. Internet Connection Firewall (Internet Connection Sharing version) blocks Remote Desktop Web connection

10. Solved: File & Print Sharing for Win95 over dial-up to unix

11. Internet sharing with dial-ups?

12. Internet connection sharing - button for sharing is not there

13. Modem Sharing (not Internet Connection Sharing)