Windows XP has no sound after installing the Windows XP Service Pack 2

Windows XP has no sound after installing the Windows XP Service Pack 2

Post by Greg » Thu, 02 Sep 2004 10:20:14

Does anyone know how come my brand new computer that was
working perfectly has no sound after installing the
windows XP service pack 2

Windows XP has no sound after installing the Windows XP Service Pack 2

Post by Jupiter Jones [MVP » Thu, 02 Sep 2004 11:00:40

Gregg;
Open Volume Control and verify all sliders are up and none muted.
Look under Advanced and see if "Digital Output Only" is or is not
checked, change it.

Go to the website of the sound card/computer manufacturer and get the
latest sound drivers for Windows XP.

--
Jupiter Jones  [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/

Quote:> Does anyone know how come my brand new computer that was
> working perfectly has no sound after installing the
> windows XP service pack 2

Windows XP has no sound after installing the Windows XP Service Pack 2

Post by BigJI » Thu, 02 Sep 2004 14:15:24

happen to me, not only did I loose the sound but the print spooler got
trashed.
I did back up all my data so I did a reinstallation of xp then sp2 and so
far it is working fine.

Quote:> Does anyone know how come my brand new computer that was
> working perfectly has no sound after installing the
> windows XP service pack 2

Windows XP has no sound after installing the Windows XP Service Pack 2

Post by Nathan McNult » Thu, 02 Sep 2004 16:10:57

Kind of odd how SP2 has done weird things to people's systems.  I have 7
computers here that I have upgraded and not a single one had problems
that have been described.  I was actually hoping some of them would so
that I could report them or solve the problems that others have been
seeing.  No dice though.

To the OP, just try reinstalling the latest sound card drivers.  Try
this: Uninstall the sound card drivers/software, remove the sound card
from Device Manager, reboot, then installing the latest drivers.

----
Nathan McNulty