Changing folders displayed with Application "Open" and "Save" commands

Changing folders displayed with Application "Open" and "Save" commands

Post by Preston Earl » Sun, 27 Apr 2003 08:29:03



Is there a way to change (or add to) the list of folders that show on
the left of "Open" and "Close" Dialog Boxes for many applications? MS
Excel and Word show History, My Documents, Desktop, Favorites, & My
Network Places; Photoshop shows My Recent Documents, Desktop, My
Documents, My Computer, and My Network Places. Is this an Application
issue rather than an OS question?

Preston Earle

 
 
 

Changing folders displayed with Application "Open" and "Save" commands

Post by Gary Morri » Sun, 27 Apr 2003 15:46:36


TweakUI allows you to modify that list:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/downloads/powertoys.asp

 -gm


> Is there a way to change (or add to) the list of folders that show on
> the left of "Open" and "Close" Dialog Boxes for many applications? MS
> Excel and Word show History, My Documents, Desktop, Favorites, & My
> Network Places; Photoshop shows My Recent Documents, Desktop, My
> Documents, My Computer, and My Network Places. Is this an Application
> issue rather than an OS question?

> Preston Earle



 
 
 

Changing folders displayed with Application "Open" and "Save" commands

Post by Preston Earl » Sun, 27 Apr 2003 23:25:23


Thanks, Gary, that worked, sort of. I downloaded and installed TweakUI.
[The installation program put it (tweakui.exe) in the Windows\System32
directory (I started to say "hid" instead of "put".) Is there any reason
I can't move it someplace more convenient, like My Documents\Utilities?]

In Tweak UI>Common Dialogs: Custom places bar, I can select from nine
choices but not from specific directories, like My Documents\Work
Files\WP Files\Letters, a folder I use frequently that is several clicks
deep in the directory tree. Is there any way to "customize" the
available folders list?

Preston Earle


> TweakUI allows you to modify that list:
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/downloads/powertoys.asp

>  -gm



> > Is there a way to change (or add to) the list of folders that show
on
> > the left of "Open" and "Close" Dialog Boxes for many applications?
MS
> > Excel and Word show History, My Documents, Desktop, Favorites, & My
> > Network Places; Photoshop shows My Recent Documents, Desktop, My
> > Documents, My Computer, and My Network Places. Is this an
Application
> > issue rather than an OS question?

> > Preston Earle


 
 
 

Changing folders displayed with Application "Open" and "Save" commands

Post by Gary Morri » Mon, 28 Apr 2003 01:23:32



Quote:> Thanks, Gary, that worked, sort of. I downloaded and installed TweakUI.
> [The installation program put it (tweakui.exe) in the Windows\System32
> directory (I started to say "hid" instead of "put".) Is there any reason
> I can't move it someplace more convenient, like My Documents\Utilities?]

My personal preference is to leave it in System32 (mainly because I'm too
lazy to move it) and put a shortcut in the Control Panel\Administrative
Tools folder.

Quote:> In Tweak UI>Common Dialogs: Custom places bar, I can select from nine
> choices but not from specific directories, like My Documents\Work
> Files\WP Files\Letters, a folder I use frequently that is several clicks
> deep in the directory tree. Is there any way to "customize" the
> available folders list?

Just type the folder you'd prefer in the list box instead of choosing
something from the list.

 -gm

 
 
 

Changing folders displayed with Application "Open" and "Save" commands

Post by Preston Earl » Mon, 28 Apr 2003 05:19:22



folder you'd prefer in the list box instead of choosing something from
the list."
------------------

That did the trick, sort of. I typed the full pathname: C:\Documents and
Settings\Earle\My Documents\etc., and the last listed folder showed up
in the "Look in:" panel in most applications: Photoshop, OE6, Opera,
Open Office. It does not show up in MS Word or Excel. I tried to put
shortcuts to the desired folders in the Favorites folder that does show
up in Word and Excel "Open" dialog boxes, but the Shortcuts don't show
up either. Do you know any way to get Word and Excel to act like other
applications?

Preston Earle

 
 
 

1. Changing "Save as...." and "Open" directory browsing

I do not have any experience in programming the Microsoft environment. I
would like to know if it is possible to change the way "Save as..." and
"Open" options in applications behave. In preventing users from accessing
their local drive directories, I would like the "Save as...."  and "Open"
options to only show the users' home directory on the server. I guess
there's one underlying function/procedure in a dll or something that's
responsible and that can be rewritten. If so:

1. What language do I use ?
2. What API's do I use ?

--

Please mail me your responses personally. Thanks in advance,

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
---
drs. P.W.T Leenders
R&D
The Netherlands
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
---

2. XP's System Restore sucks, how's Roxio's GoBack??

3. Changing the "Save As" and "File Open" common dialogs

4. PPTP, WinXP and "Can't connect to share"

5. Changing WordPad default "Open" and "Save As" File Types

6. IE6 Won't Stop Refreshing - Help!

7. Change default to "OPEN" Attachment instead of "Save"

8. cd/dvd drive

9. Changing "Open" or "Save As" Windows

10. Application "pvbctrl", "pvbload", "ceregcli" etc. illegal operation ??????

11. TD: "Build" requests "Check dependencies" after "Save"

12. |||||"""" How do I lock a CDROM """"|||||

13. my open action changed to "find" from "open" plz help