Installing new HDD problem

Post by R. C. Whit » Mon, 07 Jan 2002 02:53:55

Hi, David.

You did not say what operating system(s) you are running now.  But, assuming
that you are running only WinXP, the easiest way might be:

Physically remove your 8GB drive and install the new 40GB in the primary
master position.  Boot from the WinXP CD-ROM and do a clean install of WinXP
on the new drive, partitioning it and formatting it as you want the new,
larger volumes to be.  You may want to deal with only the system (C:) and
boot (\Windows) volumes at this point and create any remaining volumes with
Disk Management later.

Physically install your old drive in the secondary position.  Boot to your
new WinXP.  Open a "DOS" window.  Identify your old system and boot volumes,
which will have new drive letters now.  Use good ol' Xcopy.exe to copy
everything from the former C: to your new C:.  For example:
xcopy x:\ c:\  /c /h /e /r /k
If C: is not your boot volume (where the \Windows folder resides), then also
use xcopy to copy that volume, too, from the old drive to the new.

At this point, you should be able to remove (or disable in the BIOS) the old
drive and operate from the new one just as you did "yesterday", but with
more elbow room.  Now you can discard the old drive or use Disk Management
to reorganize it to suit your new computer system.

Let us know how this works out for you.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

Quote:> Recently purchased 40GB Maxtor HDD to replace my present
> 8GB only to learn that the Maxtor install software is not
> XP compatible. Any ideas how to:
> 1. Install and format new HDD, then
> 2. Copy present drive onto new drive, and
> 3. Current drive is Fat32 and I'd like the new drive to
> be NTFS format.
> Help - your time is greatly appreciated.

Installing new HDD problem

Post by Aron Hajd » Mon, 07 Jan 2002 02:58:17

David,

I would suggest that you call Maxtor and pose the question to them.  I
suspect that you can just use the XP install disk, but the bottom line is
that if Maxtor is going to sell hard drives, and they are one of the biggest
manufacturers, they should have a good answer for you.  My experience with
calling them is that they don't keep you on hold for long.  Call
1-800-2maxtor.

Regards,

Aron

Quote:> Recently purchased 40GB Maxtor HDD to replace my present
> 8GB only to learn that the Maxtor install software is not
> XP compatible. Any ideas how to:
> 1. Install and format new HDD, then
> 2. Copy present drive onto new drive, and
> 3. Current drive is Fat32 and I'd like the new drive to
> be NTFS format.
> Help - your time is greatly appreciated.

Installing new HDD problem

Post by Richard Urba » Mon, 07 Jan 2002 13:47:27

If your motherboard is old and needs the MaxBlast software to see the drive
properly in BIOS, then you may be out of luck. I have read here a few times
that WinXP can't use drives formatted that way!

Quote:> Recently purchased 40GB Maxtor HDD to replace my present
> 8GB only to learn that the Maxtor install software is not
> XP compatible. Any ideas how to:
> 1. Install and format new HDD, then
> 2. Copy present drive onto new drive, and
> 3. Current drive is Fat32 and I'd like the new drive to
> be NTFS format.
> Help - your time is greatly appreciated.

Installing new HDD problem

Post by Davi » Wed, 09 Jan 2002 07:15:26

Have not tried it yet, waiting for response from Maxtor
support, but re: your suggestion, would the "old" XP then
rewite the clean install of XP on the new drive after
using xcopy.exe?
Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>Hi, David.

>You did not say what operating system(s) you are running
now.  But, assuming
>that you are running only WinXP, the easiest way might be:

>Physically remove your 8GB drive and install the new 40GB
in the primary
>master position.  Boot from the WinXP CD-ROM and do a

clean install of WinXP
Quote:>on the new drive, partitioning it and formatting it as
you want the new,
>larger volumes to be.  You may want to deal with only the
system (C:) and
>boot (\Windows) volumes at this point and create any

remaining volumes with
Quote:>Disk Management later.

>Physically install your old drive in the secondary

position.  Boot to your
Quote:>new WinXP.  Open a "DOS" window.  Identify your old

system and boot volumes,
Quote:>which will have new drive letters now.  Use good ol'
Xcopy.exe to copy
>everything from the former C: to your new C:.  For
example:
>xcopy x:\ c:\  /c /h /e /r /k
>If C: is not your boot volume (where the \Windows folder
resides), then also
>use xcopy to copy that volume, too, from the old drive to
the new.

>At this point, you should be able to remove (or disable

in the BIOS) the old
Quote:>drive and operate from the new one just as you

did "yesterday", but with
>more elbow room.  Now you can discard the old drive or
use Disk Management
>to reorganize it to suit your new computer system.

>Let us know how this works out for you.

>RC
>--
>R. C. White, CPA
>San Marcos, TX

>> Recently purchased 40GB Maxtor HDD to replace my present
>> 8GB only to learn that the Maxtor install software is
not
>> XP compatible. Any ideas how to:
>> 1. Install and format new HDD, then
>> 2. Copy present drive onto new drive, and
>> 3. Current drive is Fat32 and I'd like the new drive to
>> be NTFS format.
>> Help - your time is greatly appreciated.

>.

Installing new HDD problem

Post by R. C. Whit » Wed, 09 Jan 2002 08:29:36

Hi, David.

My plan is to clean install a new copy of WinXP onto the new C: drive.  This
will be a * copy with no programs installed; it will not even have any
Windows Updates you may have previously installed in your old WinXP.  Then,
when you xcopy everything from the former C: drive - including the Registry
files - your new C: will be an exact copy of the old C, with all your
updates, applications and settings:.  You would want to do the xcopy right
away, of course, before you install anything on your new C:.  Xcopy will not
delete anything on the new C:, but, with the /h and /r switches it will
overwrite every file with the same name, including system, hidden and
read-only files.  You probably will want to add one more switch that I left
out:  /y will overwrite the files without asking you each time.

Now that you have all this empty disk space, you might want to consider
installing a second copy of WinXP (in a separate volume) that you can reach
by dual-booting.  Many of us keep such a second WinXP for several possible
reasons:  We can boot to it to trouble-shoot when our main installation
won't boot.  We can use the second copy to try out new hardware or software.
Or, we can use it in a situation like you are facing now, which is what I
did.  In my computer, though, I reserve C: for system files only; WinXP is
installed in D: and X:, not in C:, so I have more freedom to overwrite D:.

After installing both new copies of WinXP, boot to the second copy and run
xcopy from there to duplicate your old C: to your new C: - but first save a
copy of your new C:\boot.ini so that you can restore your new dual-boot menu
after xcopy has overwritten it with your old version.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

> Have not tried it yet, waiting for response from Maxtor
> support, but re: your suggestion, would the "old" XP then
> rewite the clean install of XP on the new drive after
> using xcopy.exe?

1. Copy one HDD to new HDD on new computer

Hi Gang,

I am buying a new computer with nothing on the HDD...no WINDOZE98.  I
would like to just copy my HDD to the new, larger HDD.  Then...I plan
to give my old computer to a friend and copy HER HDD info onto MY HDD.

How is it possible for me to copy the HDD from one computer to another
without removing the HDD from my old computer?

I know it can be done but I usually do it only when I install a new
HDD.  This way, I am just moving the HDD info from one computer to
another.

Thanks for any info.

Don in Dallas

D*

For your productivity:  http://www.shibumi.org/eoti.htm

2. InterlockedBitSet question

3. Help - Copy entire contents of old hdd to new hdd

4. Folders Task Menu Bar

5. Copying (cloning) HDD to new HDD in another computer?

6. MyDVD Can't Burn on Gatewy

7. Install with 2 HDD wont work later with 1 HDD??!!

8. How do I reinstall system fonts without reinstalling Win XP?

9. install new HDD

10. old hdd, new xp install

11. Installing XP on NEW HDD

12. Can't install new HDD (not the boot drive) under WinXP