"This Device Cannot Start (Code 10)" for IEEE 1394 in XP

"This Device Cannot Start (Code 10)" for IEEE 1394 in XP

Post by John Morri » Tue, 27 Aug 2002 02:10:18

I am getting the error in device manager under "1394 Net
Adapter". Is there something wrong with the hardware? I
have formatted the h/d and reinstalled XP and the problem
persists. The 1394 Bus Host Controller is running fine
though?!?!

I have already tried removing the card both physically and
removing the drivers. Neither solution worked. As for the
drivers, it is IEEE and XP has the drivers. There aren't
any drivers on disk, or even ones available anywhere else
for that matter.

I am not using the card for networking. I am trying to use
it to download video taken on a Sony D8 camcorder. Because
I am not using the device for networking, it isn't on the
list of possible network connections.

I am using a SurfBoard SB4100 Cable Modem through the USB
port and that connection is golden. I also have a AMR
(Audio Modem Riser) modem installed, but am not using it.

When I connect the camcorder to the IEEE card it does show
a connection as an imaging device, but only for a minute
or so before it disconnects. I actually was able to see
video one time, but when I went to record it, the
camcorder disconnected.

For the IEEE card, I get two items that appear in the
device manager: the first is the one that appears to be
working ok, and that's the VIA OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394
Host Controller. The second is the 1394 Net Adapter which
has the exclaimation mark in the yellow triangle over the
icon of the adapter. When I click on the icon to see what
the problem is, that's when I see that it says: This
device cannot start (Code 10).

I'm wondering why the card is acting like a network
adapter in the first place. But since it is, why is there
an error.

I do have the the nic1394.sys driver installed. When I do
a windows update, there aren't any new updates available.
When I try reinstalling the driver, it says: There was a
problem installing this hardware: 1394 Net Adapter This
device cannot start. (Code 10)

Sorry for the long message, just wanted to make sure you
get the whole picture.  Thanks!

"This Device Cannot Start (Code 10)" for IEEE 1394 in XP

Post by Dave Dix » Wed, 28 Aug 2002 05:04:51

I have the same problem you have, with a "Guslink" 2-port 1394 cardbus
in my HP xf255 (WinXP). However, I have a second 2-port 1394 cardbus
that works fine in the same computer (I bought the Guslink card
because I need it to provide power over the 1394 cable). The second
card is a no-name (here's a picture of it:
http://www.phoebemicro.com/Products/Miscellaneous/I_O_Card/Cardbus_Fi...
)

> I am getting the error in device manager under "1394 Net
> Adapter". Is there something wrong with the hardware? I
> have formatted the h/d and reinstalled XP and the problem
> persists. The 1394 Bus Host Controller is running fine
> though?!?!

> I have already tried removing the card both physically and
> removing the drivers. Neither solution worked. As for the
> drivers, it is IEEE and XP has the drivers. There aren't
> any drivers on disk, or even ones available anywhere else
> for that matter.

> I am not using the card for networking. I am trying to use
> it to download video taken on a Sony D8 camcorder. Because
> I am not using the device for networking, it isn't on the
> list of possible network connections.

> I am using a SurfBoard SB4100 Cable Modem through the USB
> port and that connection is golden. I also have a AMR
> (Audio Modem Riser) modem installed, but am not using it.

> When I connect the camcorder to the IEEE card it does show
> a connection as an imaging device, but only for a minute
> or so before it disconnects. I actually was able to see
> video one time, but when I went to record it, the
> camcorder disconnected.

> For the IEEE card, I get two items that appear in the
> device manager: the first is the one that appears to be
> working ok, and that's the VIA OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394
> Host Controller. The second is the 1394 Net Adapter which
> has the exclaimation mark in the yellow triangle over the
> icon of the adapter. When I click on the icon to see what
> the problem is, that's when I see that it says: This
> device cannot start (Code 10).

> I'm wondering why the card is acting like a network
> adapter in the first place. But since it is, why is there
> an error.

> I do have the the nic1394.sys driver installed. When I do
> a windows update, there aren't any new updates available.
> When I try reinstalling the driver, it says: There was a
> problem installing this hardware: 1394 Net Adapter This
> device cannot start. (Code 10)

> Sorry for the long message, just wanted to make sure you
> get the whole picture.  Thanks!

1. Device Manager: DC10Plus "Cannot Start Device" (Code 10)

When I install the driver for DC10Plus capture card
(Pinnacle Studio 7) I get an error message "Cannot Start
Device" (Code 10)in Device Manager along with a
yellow "!". I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the
driver. I have the updated driver for Win XP from their
web site and also have Studio 7.15 update. I have also
changed the permissions to "Full" in the registry via
regedit. Is there some other setting I can change in the
registry so the device will start? Any help or suggestions
will be really appreciated.
Mike Lynas

2. Cannot Access either cd-rom drive

3. 3rd Monitor "This device cannot start (Code 10)" after upgrade to XP Pro

4. Joining Domain at workback at office and Workgroup at home

5. "device cannot start (code 10)" message for VGA of Intel 845GBV mainboard-

6. cannot access msconfig

7. NIC problem -- "Device cannot start (Code 10)"

8. Faxes still sitting in outbox - won't send

9. Firewire "Device Cannot Start (Code 10)"

10. Problem with mitsumi USB floppy ("Device cannot start (Code 10)"

11. "Device cannot start-Code 10" - Help!!

12. "Error - The device cannot start (code 10)"