Problem with Q318138 Update

Post by Chris V » Fri, 28 Jun 2002 09:13:58

Hi all - i just received and installed the Remote Access Service Phone Book
Update(Q318138) and now i'm having some minor(but annoying) problems.
Whenever i now try to use anything that has to access dial-up networking
such as Netscape, ICQ, AIM, etc... - none of these programs will
automatically dial my connection anymore. They all just hang until i dial up
manually. This, of course, does not happen with IE, though. That just dials
my default connection no problem. I know it was this update that has caused
this because i installed it the first time, then used system restore and all
was fine again - until Windows Update again prompted me to install the
update, which i did to see if it happened again. It has... I know i can just
use system restore again to dump the update, but i would like to know if
there is a way to fix this without getting rid of the update. thanks for any
help!

Chris

Problem with Q318138 Update

Post by Care » Fri, 28 Jun 2002 09:20:30

What you have is a "recommended" update.  I recommend that you uninstall and don't install
again this "recommended" update since it has no value to your system.

--
Carey Frisch (USA)

Problem with Q318138 Update

Post by Chris V » Fri, 28 Jun 2002 10:04:36

I will uninstall, but i didn't realize that it is just a "recommended"
update - it came down the automatic update pipe in XP, so i figured it was
critical. Am i wrong in assuming that anything from automatic update is
critical...?

Chris

Quote:> What you have is a "recommended" update.  I recommend that you uninstall
and don't install
> again this "recommended" update since it has no value to your system.

> --
> Carey Frisch (USA)

Problem with Q318138 Update

Post by Wall » Fri, 28 Jun 2002 18:12:39

In an earlier post, Chris V. said...

Quote:> I will uninstall, but i didn't realize that it is just a "recommended"
> update - it came down the automatic update pipe in XP, so i figured it was
> critical. Am i wrong in assuming that anything from automatic update is
> critical...?

Without checking the MS pages detailing the symptoms the update is
supposed to fix, it's usually best to assume all updates are
optional, even those labelled 'critical'. Fortunately as you pointed
out, XP gives you an easy route to roll back the system if the update
causes more harm than good.

W.

1. IE6 update Q318138 fails

When I updated IE6 with Q318138 security patch every time
I start up IE or Eudora dialup box does not appear and
when I starter the connection neither would get access to
the net. After restoring XP pro to previous config it
worked ok. Each time I installed update same thing
happened.

Any Ideas!

2. Reinstalling Acrobat PDFWriter after upgrading to XP

3. Q318138 Windows Update

4. Can OSR1 be upgraded to OSR2

5. The damn # Q318138 update

6. Help: Context Menu gone from Taskbar

7. Security Update Q318138

8. Lexmarkx74-X75

9. Q318138 breaks RAS connnections

10. Q318138 Renders My Network Connection Useless

11. IE problem, Update problem, dialup problem...AHHH!!

12. Media Update Notifier / unable to detect updates - problem

13. Windows update problem, "software update incomplete"