Admin User - Don't have one

Post by Carol and Allen Bred » Thu, 08 May 2003 14:06:20

I printed out a post that suggested using Owner account for routine system
administration use and leaving Admin user in case Owner gets hosed.

My system came with only an Owner user. Is that a problem?

Thanks, Carol

--
C and A Bredt (Remove X from To: address for private e-mail)

Admin User - Don't have one

Post by Jupiter Jones [MVP » Thu, 08 May 2003 14:36:29

Carol;
Your Administrator is hidden.
You normally have to boot to Safe Mode to access the Administrator.
To get to Safe Mode:
Reboot, tap F8 about once a second.
At menu, choose Safe Mode.
Select Administrator, leave password blank.
Then go to User Accounts in Control Panel.
If you want an Administrator access easier to access, create a new
account, the default will be an Administrator account.
It is best to not use an Administrator for routine functions.
Only use Administrator when you need to perform administrative tasks.
You should always password all Administrators including the Safe Mode
Administrator.
Take appropriate precautions to not forget the password.

--
Jupiter Jones  [MVP]
An easier way to read newsgroup messages:

Quote:> I printed out a post that suggested using Owner account for routine
system
> administration use and leaving Admin user in case Owner gets hosed.

> My system came with only an Owner user. Is that a problem?

> Thanks, Carol

> --
> C and A Bredt (Remove X from To: address for private e-mail)

Admin User - Don't have one

Post by Mike Thom » Thu, 08 May 2003 17:21:43

Is there any other way to get to the special Administrator account (not
  user with Admistrator privileges) other than safe mode? If not, is
there a way to change resolution in safe mode? I have a flat panel
monitor that doesn't like the 600 x 480 or whatever it is. Everything,
including text, is fuzzy and hard to make out.

> Carol;
> Your Administrator is hidden.
> You normally have to boot to Safe Mode to access the Administrator.
> To get to Safe Mode:
> Reboot, tap F8 about once a second.
> At menu, choose Safe Mode.
> Select Administrator, leave password blank.
> Then go to User Accounts in Control Panel.
> If you want an Administrator access easier to access, create a new
> account, the default will be an Administrator account.
> It is best to not use an Administrator for routine functions.
> Only use Administrator when you need to perform administrative tasks.
> You should always password all Administrators including the Safe Mode
> Administrator.
> Take appropriate precautions to not forget the password.

Admin User - Don't have one

Post by Jupiter Jone » Thu, 08 May 2003 19:32:00

Mike;
Use Tweak UI to expose the Administrator:

Jupiter Jones  [MVP]
An easier way to read newsgroup messages:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/using/newsgroups/setup.asp
Please respond to newsgroup only for everyone's benefit.

> Is there any other way to get to the special Administrator account
(not
>   user with Admistrator privileges) other than safe mode? If not, is
> there a way to change resolution in safe mode? I have a flat panel
> monitor that doesn't like the 600 x 480 or whatever it is.
Everything,
> including text, is fuzzy and hard to make out.

> > Carol;
> > Your Administrator is hidden.
> > You normally have to boot to Safe Mode to access the
Administrator.
> > To get to Safe Mode:
> > Reboot, tap F8 about once a second.
> > At menu, choose Safe Mode.
> > Select Administrator, leave password blank.
> > Then go to User Accounts in Control Panel.
> > If you want an Administrator access easier to access, create a new
> > account, the default will be an Administrator account.
> > It is best to not use an Administrator for routine functions.
> > Only use Administrator when you need to perform administrative
tasks.
> > You should always password all Administrators including the Safe
Mode
> > Administrator.
> > Take appropriate precautions to not forget the password.

Admin User - Don't have one

Post by Mike Thom » Thu, 08 May 2003 20:31:33

Thanks. Downloaded TweakUI and found the option. Works great. I'll
enable this when I need it, do my work, and disable it when I'm done.
Now to hide TweakUI.

> Mike;
> Use Tweak UI to expose the Administrator:
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/downloads/powertoys.asp

1. Deleting icons from one user's desktop without deleting them from other users'

I am running Widows XP Professional and I want to delete
icons from my desktop without deleting them from the
desktops of other users of my computer.  At present when
I delete an icon from my personal customized desktop, the
icon is also deleted from the desktops of all other users
of my computer.  Can I delete them from my desktop only
and, is so, how?

2. Need help setting up both ends!

3. Pages don't load properly having pressed the "back" button

4. dial-up networking in XP Pro

5. Having only one user with no shared files.

6. Announcing: WinRSH 1.11

7. Don't know which line of code having error ?

8. How to change the menu bar?

9. PC users don't argue with Mac users

10. One identity's messages don't display

11. Can't switch from one user to another one

12. Can't switch from one user to an other one

13. One user can't ping one computer, SOLVED