cannot boot, it tells me to recover; cannot run recover

cannot boot, it tells me to recover; cannot run recover

Post by casey chesnu » Sat, 02 Nov 2002 10:09:29

Ok, I can get to where it enters Windows XP Setup now,
but dont know how to get to the recovery console?
It prompts me to press F6 for drivers ... which I dont need.
And then F2 for Automated System Recovery.
If I do that, it asks for a floppy I dont think I have?
If I dont do that, it starts loading some files,
and then fails immediately after with messages something like:
cant load setupdd.dll OR ntkrnldmp.dll, exiting setup.
And then it reboots.

Thanks again
casey

First make sure that your BIOS is set to boot from the CD-ROM. Then boot off
the CD and enter the recovery console. You can expand a fresh copy of the
pci.sys off the xp cd and put it in your %systemroot%\system32\drivers
directory.

use the syntax below:

expand x:\i386\pci.sys %systemroot%\system32\drivers

let X = your cdrom drive letter
let %systemroot% = your boot drive windows directory

Quote:> My notebook restarted unexpectedly with WinXP Pro.
> It says pci.sys has gone bad and that I need to use the CD to recover.
> When I try to boot to CD, it says I dont have a valid FAT partition;
> which I do not, because it is NTFS.
> Is there some way I can make it mount C: as NTFS,
> and then copy over another pci.sys
> OR get the CD Recover to run?

> Thanks
> casey

cannot boot, it tells me to recover; cannot run recover

Post by nuckingfutsgu » Sat, 02 Nov 2002 12:59:08

See this web site for instructions:

Look at the left side for "access recovery console"

Then just follow the instructions. BTW, once there, you need to use the copy
command instead of the expand command(which is for compressed files). Use
the syntax below:

copy x:\i386\pci.sys %systemroot%\system32\drivers

you may have to change pci.sys to pci.sy_

> Ok, I can get to where it enters Windows XP Setup now,
> but dont know how to get to the recovery console?
> It prompts me to press F6 for drivers ... which I dont need.
> And then F2 for Automated System Recovery.
> If I do that, it asks for a floppy I dont think I have?
> If I dont do that, it starts loading some files,
> and then fails immediately after with messages something like:
> cant load setupdd.dll OR ntkrnldmp.dll, exiting setup.
> And then it reboots.

> Thanks again
> casey

> First make sure that your BIOS is set to boot from the CD-ROM. Then boot
off
> the CD and enter the recovery console. You can expand a fresh copy of the
> pci.sys off the xp cd and put it in your %systemroot%\system32\drivers
> directory.

> use the syntax below:

> expand x:\i386\pci.sys %systemroot%\system32\drivers

> let X = your cdrom drive letter
> let %systemroot% = your boot drive windows directory

> > My notebook restarted unexpectedly with WinXP Pro.
> > It says pci.sys has gone bad and that I need to use the CD to recover.
> > When I try to boot to CD, it says I dont have a valid FAT partition;
> > which I do not, because it is NTFS.
> > Is there some way I can make it mount C: as NTFS,
> > and then copy over another pci.sys
> > OR get the CD Recover to run?

> > Thanks
> > casey

1. cannot boot, it tells me to recover; cannot run recover

First make sure that your BIOS is set to boot from the CD-ROM. Then boot off
the CD and enter the recovery console. You can expand a fresh copy of the
pci.sys off the xp cd and put it in your %systemroot%\system32\drivers
directory.

use the syntax below:

expand x:\i386\pci.sys %systemroot%\system32\drivers

let X = your cdrom drive letter
let %systemroot% = your boot drive windows directory

2. Unable to Load NS Navigator Gold.

3. boot fails because of pci.sys, it tells me to recover, setup fails because setupdd.sys

4. OE Curiosity-What are these

5. IE 6.0 currupted - Cannot reinstall IE 5.5 to Recover

6. Opening Link in OE into Designated Browser

7. Cannot recover mail

8. Ultimate TCP/IP

9. cannot recover deleted files

10. Can I recover File System from "Recovered File Fragments"?

11. CANNOT RECOVER FILES

12. 99 gig drive cannot see recovered space

13. Cannot find "System Recovered Error Message Update